Dry hair.....again!!!....help!!

JazzyDez

So I will poo lightly and DC and my hair will feel real good.....

Then I airdry and my hair feels hard again :( .

I have tried it all.....extra DC'ing and porosity control (which felt like silk when washing it out but my hair still dried hard :confused: )....I usually dont apply anything else after the leave ins (on wet hair) besides the daily moisture because i feel that I use quality products (Humectress, ORS Pak and NTM leave in) and I should be good....maybe i need to clarify or something. I did that a few weeks ago and I dont like to do it too often. I also don't really apply oils...they never seemed to help me much. I dont really have any breakage issues right now.....just dry hair

The only thing that seems to work wonders and soften/moisturize my hair is s-curl....but I read some old threads and I am a little worried about using it too often. Any suggestions??? :perplexed I guess I can start with a clarifying wash tommorow....:ohwell:

BTW.....I am 15 weeks post :eek: !!!

JazzyDez said:
So I will poo lightly and DC and my hair will feel real good.....

Then I airdry and my hair feels hard again :( .

I have tried it all.....extra DC'ing and porosity control (which felt like silk when washing it out but my hair still dried hard :confused: )....I usually dont apply anything else after the leave ins (on wet hair) besides the daily moisture because i feel that I use quality products (Humectress, ORS Pak and NTM leave in) and I should be good....maybe i need to clarify or something. I did that a few weeks ago and I dont like to do it too often. I also don't really apply oils...they never seemed to help me much. I dont really have any breakage issues right now.....just dry hair

The only thing that seems to work wonders and soften/moisturize my hair is s-curl....but I read some old threads and I am a little worried about using it too often. Any suggestions??? :perplexed I guess I can start with a clarifying wash tommorow....:ohwell:

BTW.....I am 15 weeks post :eek: !!!

Yep! I def. think you may need to clarify. Try doing that followed by a DEEEEp moisturizing conditioner and leave-in.

Also, when I get to about 10 weeks post relaxer my hair gets very dry too. I have to do extra. I think it is because our curly negrowth makes it harder for moisture to travel down to our ends. Just my personal theory. But yeah, give your hair EXTRA everything: conditioning, moisturizing, etc. I think you should be fine.

MizaniMami said:
Yep! I def. think you may need to clarify. Try doing that followed by a DEEEEp moisturizing conditioner and leave-in.

Also, when I get to about 10 weeks post relaxer my hair gets very dry too. I have to do extra. I think it is because our curly negrowth makes it harder for moisture to travel down to our ends. Just my personal theory. But yeah, give your hair EXTRA everything: conditioning, moisturizing, etc. I think you should be fine.

Yeah your prohbably right....

It seems like no matter what I do I always end up having dry hair again...I will Clarify and DC tommorow. If this works then I just know that I need to clarify more often. I am just worried about clarifying too much to be more drying on the hair.

And I have plenty NG. I cant wait to relax and hopefully see some growth. I just moved this weekend so I will probably be relaxing my next paycheck...

It sounds like you need to clarify and/or use a substantial protein treatment.

When you clarify, don't use a "punk" clarifying shampoo. Use something good and stripping. You may need the protein because it sounds like you're adding moisture to your hair, but your hair's not holding on to it. Protein will help your hair to hold on to the moisture.

It's okay that you don't use a leave-in with air drying. Sometimes this is better.

Last edited:
Supergirl said:
It sounds like you need to clarify and/or use a substantial protein treatment.

When you clarify, don't use a "punk" clarifying shampoo. Use something good and stripping. You may need the protein because it sounds like your adding moisture to your hair, but your hair's not holding on to it. Protein will help your hair to hold on to the moisture.

It's okay that you don't use a leave-in with air drying. Sometimes this is better.

since my hair was feeling dry and hard I figured protien was not the way to go.....I didnt realize that adding protien would help you retain moisture....I've been scared to add protien to my hair when it hasn't been retaining moisture. Maybe I will give it a try followed with a good DC.

I use nexxus aloe rid to clarify. I think its is actually a chelating poo. Do you think this will do the trick??

Maybe sleep with a plastic cap, if not something you already do. Like Mizani said though, apply extra of everything to your hair. Some hair just needs more...

JazzyDez said:
since my hair was feeling dry and hard I figured protien was not the way to go.....I didnt realize that adding protien would help you retain moisture....I've been scared to add protien to my hair when it hasn't been retaining moisture. Maybe I will give it a try followed with a good DC.

I use nexxus aloe rid to clarify. I think its is actually a chelating poo. Do you think this will do the trick??

If you feel like the Nexxus Aloe Rid is a gentle clarifying shampoo then it's probably not doing the job. If your hair has a squeaky clean feel to it, then that is what you want.

I am having the same problem, but only if I dont rewet my hair and apply moisturizer. But on my wash days and the next day my hair is very soft and moisturized. I clarify once a week/condtion/deep condition/apply leave-in/separate hair into ponytails/apply moisturizer on ends/ add end papers and rollers and sleep to airdry. Two days later when I try to apply mositurizer my hair does not want to accept it.

My hair has been feeling dry and hard lately as well, but it is not breaking and my ends are fine thank goodness. I normally don't clarify often due to the fear of additional dryness. I did not think to clarify to rectify this problem, but I am doing it today instead of CO washing. I am using Suave clarifying shampoo which leaves my hair squeaky clean after which I will dc with an ORS pack and Biolage hydrating therapy conditioner.

If you wash your own hair, use a shower filter to filter out the chemicals. Clarify next if necessary, then do a EVOO hot oil treatment and leave it on overnight. Proceed to wash with a moisturizing shampoo and deep moisturizing conditioner. Use a detangler if necessary. Hope this helps.

I noticed that you said you airdry. Just like certain products arent for everyone, airdrying isnt for everyone also. Try deep conditioning then rollersetting your hair and see how it comes out. Or partial drying under the dryer then styling as normal. That has helped me alot, that plus avocado butter on wet hair :love::love::love::love::love::love:

What are you airdrying with? Are you airdrying with a product that has protein in it? That could be making your hair dry. Or you might need more moisture than what you currently are airdrying with is providing.

If you're not airdrying with any product, you're hair's goin to b so krispy, so krispy. And we don't want that! :lol:. But it depends on the products too. I had to play around with different products to figure out what kept my hair moisturized when airdrying. I airdry with Infusium 23 Moisturologie leave in and ORS Carrot Oil.

I also would recommend whatever you airdry with to seal it with oil to keep the moisture in as your hair dries.

HTH! :D

I noticed that you said you airdry. Just like certain products arent for everyone, airdrying isnt for everyone also. Try deep conditioning then rollersetting your hair and see how it comes out. Or partial drying under the dryer then styling as normal. That has helped me alot, that plus avocado butter on wet hair :love::love::love::love::love::love:

ditto. you can even try airdrying in a rollerset. when I try to airdry any other way my hair is soooooooooo dry and I start to get breakage.

I had this problem as well....

Try airdrying after applying a product called Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner by SheaMoisture. Apply this all throughout your WET hair down to the ends. Wrap it with a scarf. When it's about 80% dry sit under the hood dryer for like 10mins. Your hair will feel very soft and supple afterwards. In fact, mine stays soft even without the dryer...

Ingredients: Shea Butter, Deionized Water, Herbal Complex, Panthenol, Centromonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cocoa Butter, Aloe Vera, Jojoba Oil, Vitamin E.

HTH

i agree! my hair hates to be airdried! are you putting a leave-in and moisturizer on your hair after you wash it?

Last edited:
thanks ladies.

However for me, this was an old problem that was bumped up and is thankfully no longer an issue!:grin: At least I no longer have extremely dry hair issues. I do have bouts of moderately dry hair at times but I can usually nip that in the bootay.

I DC weekly and airdry with NTM leave in (which I'm about to retire) plus ORS olive oil and a lil JBCO. The second night I apply S-curl and my hair is so soft for the rest of the week (moisturizing daily of course).

My hair is always soft and bouncy when I rollerset, I am too lazy to do it myself but when I go to my stylist she rollerwraps it.

I WILL be trying that EVOO hot oil treatment though....its too tempting.

Back