Dr.Miracle's Ads...Offensive or Effective Marketing?

Simple Ad or Something More?

• Just An Ad!

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Something More (Please Explain)

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Both (Please Explain)

Votes: 18 15.7%

• Total voters
I've seen and been disgusted by this ad as well. What kills me is that the 'bad' hair almost always looks like natural hair that only needs to be picked out, or possibly a wide tooth comb and dc, along with a nuded (no make up) model frowning like something smells bad. But the next picture is some chemically-smoothed hair that is supposed to be so much better, with a model who has a face full of cosmetics! Am I supposed to aspire to this??? Urgh!

Sorry I know this is kind of a serious poll, but all I keep thinking about is how ridiculous that girl sounds..."OOOOHH Dr. Miracle!!!!"...:lachen: They couldn't pay me enough...

I do not like it and one reason being is I think it sends the wrong message to little girls and I say this because I take care of my four your old cousin and every time she is looking at one of my mags and she gets to the back page and sees that ad she looks at me and says I want my hair like that talking about the lady with the relaxer on the other side of the page now she thinks her hair is ugly because it is not relaxed and I tell all the time how beautiful her hair is I just think it's kind of like Spike Lee's school daze making natural hair look bad and relaxed to be better not saying anything is wrong with relaxed hair I think all hair is beautiful I just think they should show it that way no matter how you choose wear your hair it is still beautiful if you know what I mean

we've had a thread like this before,everyone also wrote letters to Dr Miracles presient.

i feel the ads are offensive the products dont even work!!!

I voted something more. The main of most advertising is to make "you" feel bad(or self-conscious) about (fill in the blank). Then suggest that you'll fell better if you used their product.

I'm more f'nOffened by the oerwhelming %of fake hair styles used in today's BlackHair Hide magazines, them I am of the non-complimentary adds by Dr.Miricale.

You'd get my point if you "imagine" replacing the happy model with one sellig "YakyStraight" hair saying it's THE BEST hair. That's the point I find OFFENSIVE... Sorry I had to vent.

I've seen and been disgusted by this ad as well. What kills me is that the 'bad' hair almost always looks like natural hair that only needs to be picked out, or possibly a wide tooth comb and dc, along with a nuded (no make up) model frowning like something smells bad. But the next picture is some chemically-smoothed hair that is supposed to be so much better, with a model who has a face full of cosmetics! Am I supposed to aspire to this??? Urgh!

This pretty much sums up the way I feel.I really dislike these ads.

I think I'm more offended by the the hype of the product line than the ads. Dr. (no) Miracle IMO is a waste of money and I have found products that more effective and less expensive (some recommended from the advice of my LHCF sisters :grin:). I can honestly say that if I had seen the ads before I made my purchase a few years ago, I wouldn't have spent a dime on this crap.:nono:

Even though I haven't seen this commercial in a while, just reading this thread reminds me of how much I hate this commercial!!! It is so ghetto, and whats more, I hate the magazine ads. Just don't get me started on this one, please...The message it sends is absolutely ridiculous.

I absolutely HATE HATE HATE these ads!!!

But what gets me even more :wallbash::wallbash: is when I go through any drug store or even Sally's and I get to the 'ethnic section' and I read all the ingredients and for every 'Gro' or 'anti breakage' or 'super moisturizing' product, the main ingredient is petrolatum and mineral oil!:nono::nono:

Everytime I go in with my SO I complain about how this should be ILLEGAL. :censored: It is misleading and preys on women who are made to be desperate to change their hair and then give them products that do not work and in fact make it worse:angry2: and have them coming back to buy more grease to slather on their hair.

It makes me sad and I think we need to find a way to block companies from using words like moisturizing knowing good and well their ingredients simply mask the problems and in the end make it worse leaving the consumer desperate for more.:nono:

I voted both because even though it is very offensive to some, many black women in this country truly respond to these idiotic ads (due to the constant negative influences by the media and FAMILIES), which in the end make them effective marketing.:rolleyes:

I've always thought they were offensive. A) the only way we can have healthy hair is by a miracle? B) the overall tone of the ads, especially the radio ads and C) it has all the same ingredients as all these other "non miracle" products that got so many people frustrated in the first place

ETA the radio ads are also why I refuse to buy any of their products. I've never seen a print ad but I imagine they're just as bad
ETA again to add and they have the balls to add that it's by a "doctor" to con people into thinking it's legit

I was flipping through a mag aimed at Black Women (HypeHair) and was a bit disturbed by the Dr. Miracle's campaign.

The most unattractive female Black models are used with atrocious hair (seemingly due to poor hair practices but you would think it was because they had the "misfortune" of being Black, but I could be biased, lol). These poor souls are then "fixed" by using Dr.Miracles products -mainly their relaxer. As though that could solve scalp issues...but I digress.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it REALLY just an effective way to gain a target audience's attention or are there underlying messages being sent?

I personally...can't use their products if I found one I enjoyed because these ads leave me feeling unsettled.

Furthermore, they're made by a Korean based company. Could it just be a lack of awareness on the company's managers part of what a sensitive issue hair is for Black Women (not all!)?

But if that's the case...why are they making a product solely marketed to Black women.

I suppose, they've noticed we spend a bit of money on our hair.

What's your take on this? Simple ad? Or does it hint at underlying issues?

Last edited:
It's this kind of crap that makes me loathe the beauty and fashion industry altogether. Why not promote it from a healthier angle? Like "Looking for a change? Want more styling options?" versus "Feel ugly? This will make you beautiful!" kind of garbage that preys on women's insecurities and perpetuates an artificial standard.

It's this kind of crap that makes me loathe the beauty and fashion industry altogether. Why not promote it from a healthier angle? Like "Looking for a change? Want more styling options?" versus "Feel ugly? This will make you beautiful!" kind of garbage that preys on women's insecurities and perpetuates an artificial standard.

OT: This reminds of when I was younger, and I would read through the black hair magazines, and all the celebrities interviewed would state all they had to do was just lightly flat iron their hair and it was perfect!:rolleyes: No, not a single one of them wore weaves :lachen:, and not one of them had a relaxer :lachen:! Only 'normal' people had 'unmanageable' hair.

The first time I saw a TV ad for these products I literally laughed out loud. I was sure no black owned company would advertise the way they do.

I will never use their products and I've also stoped buying fake hair in any form.

this almost goes back to the "curse" thread... they are playing on our negative feelings about our hair, then offer their "miraculous" solution.

i distinctly remember a print ad where the woman had GORGEOUS long 3b curls... and she was looking up at her hair with a face of disgust. the caption above her head said, "YUCK!" :nono: totally unnecessary... women would KILL to have the gorgeous hair she had. in jumps Dr. Miracle's to give her a silky-straight relaxer... cuz you know, her hair "needed a miracle" to look good... :rolleyes:

you can praise a product without making black hair seem like a horrible thing to have.

i have to comment on this. I didnt want to say anything but Im going to say something. The main girl in the dr miracle commercial ! is my brother's partner in crime. My brother was in the commercial too.. yea the guy that said " oh girl your hair look fly"! Yes there actors and they have to exaggerate it but I use some of the products and they were pretty good IMO. And chyna who is the main girl she always get products from them and they are pretty effective. She and her hair is beautiful. Dr miracle's ads and commercial are very crazy I know.. but the products are not bad.

Attachments

• meandfam.jpg
    meandfam.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 117
  • rayanchyna.jpg
    rayanchyna.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 118
  • rayanchyna1.jpg
    rayanchyna1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 103
I've always thought they were offensive. A) the only way we can have healthy hair is by a miracle? B) the overall tone of the ads, especially the radio ads and C) it has all the same ingredients as all these other "non miracle" products that got so many people frustrated in the first place

ETA the radio ads are also why I refuse to buy any of their products. I've never seen a print ad but I imagine they're just as bad
ETA again to add and they have the balls to add that it's by a "doctor" to con people into thinking it's legit

This is what bothers me the most about the ads. They make it seem like some black doctor concerned about black women made up this stuff.

Cutenaynay: your friend is cute, I recognize her from the commercial. I haven't really tried the products so I cannot speak on that. What works for some may not work for others, but their ad compaign turns me off.

Have yall seen the dollar store knock off Dr. Wonder?:lachen:

http://www.drmiracles.com/media/commercial-02.html

corny and poorly produced.

i guess i can see why people get offended. however, the "bad" hair shown in this advert and the magazine adverts i've seen looks like messy relaxed hair to me. maybe i'm weird because i never perceived the "before" hair to be nappy/natural hair.

I just watched that. Funny how they have a black guy saying he is Dr. Miracle. The guy that created the products is actually a white guy. His wife in the lady on the perm kit box.

Anyway the ads are stupid. But I do believe there are plenty of women walking around feeling like they cannot do anything with their hair. I see them in the BSS all the time, wandering around the aisle looking for miracles and you can tell they have a hair problem. These ads may appeal to some. Not in the actually silliness of the ads, but the idea that their hair is crazy and a mess and they need a miracle. But, if you look at the product line as a whole, I don't see how it really can be that much of a miracle.

This is what bothers me the most about the ads. They make it seem like some black doctor concerned about black women made up this stuff.

Cutenaynay: your friend is cute, I recognize her from the commercial. I haven't really tried the products so I cannot speak on that. What works for some may not work for others, but their ad compaign turns me off.

Someone started a thread about this the other day. I think Dr. Miracle and Dr. Wonder are the same formula, different name. When I made my comment about this, I didn't get any feedback.:sad: I bumped the topic "Dr. Miracle Anyone". My post is #24 on the 3rd page.

Last edited:

I know it does seem unrealistic.. i defintely feel you on that. advertising and marketing need to work that ish out!but i like there products im using the braid reief spray and I love how it feels on my scalp.:yep:

Last edited:
I think they are very offensive, because if you notice, they have a more fairer skinned straighter haired model for the "after" effect. And for the "before" picture there is a darker skinned, curly haired model making a weird face.

And I'm thinking "why does the "before" model look like that?":ohwell:

I also made a comment about this crap on another thread... its marketing ticks me off... I dont buy Aunt Jemima syrup for similar reasons

Im not offended by the light skinned dark skinned ... its the white man's company posing as George Washington Carver-esque type caring about our hair that gets to me... I would much rather have a white man be straight with me about being the owner/maker of black hair care products... Im suspicious that they need to hide behind the marketing

Last edited:
I SINCERELY HATE these ads and have not even found the product helpful! I wish I saw the ads BEFORE I wasted my money. I saw the tv and print ads and thought "what year is this?":ohwell: It reminded me of some tired 70's ad that would come on after Soul Train or something! Their ads are IDIOTIC! I saw a print ad with a black woman sitting in a doctor's office with a white woman with a lab coat on. I thought to myself "what kind of message are they sending here?". Then a week or so later I saw 2 or three of the TV ads and that sealed it for me!

I havent seen the add but from what I uderstand IMO ..the point of the add is simply to market the product but at the same time if they use ugly models It could be that they can have bad taste or just not have the same perception of what a beautiful black woman is . Even if they show how Dr Miracles product ''fixes'' the ugly model ...its suppose to show that its helps the hair only .. last but not least ...if your ugly IMO with jacked up hair or nice hair youre still ugly...I dont really feel that theres more to it ..

These commercials are as silly as they come. NOt surpizing.
Black marketing is targeted like we are so stupid!

Not surprizing.

Back