Doyou think long and healthy hair will ever be the norm for bw??

Do you think LHCF and the ladies here can have a influence on bw's hair in general?

• No things will never change

Votes: 76 17.6%
  • Yes we can have a impact on some women

Votes: 203 47.0%
  • Yes one day healthy hair will be the norm for most bw

Votes: 153 35.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No... We all know that growing (and maintaining) long hair is a lot of work. It's pretty much a lifestyle change. All black women are not going to want to put all this effort into caring for their hair. There are always going to be some people that won't or don't know how. And on top of that, everybody doesn't like long hair either.
I agree some ppl won't put the effort into their hair or are content with what they have

Isis and fluffylocks I tend to agree with both of you.
We are just the FIRST generation after the relaxer and pressing comb that is discovering black haircare again,what we see now are just babysteps

I agree with everyone that said that healthy hair could be the norm but long hair a preference but we can't forget that most bw out of LHCF think that SL-APL hair is really long hair:yep:

No... We all know that growing (and maintaining) long hair is a lot of work. It's pretty much a lifestyle change. All black women are not going to want to put all this effort into caring for their hair. There are always going to be some people that won't or don't know how. And on top of that, everybody doesn't like long hair either.

ITA agree with this post. Sums up my thoughts perfectly!! Thanks glamazon!:up:

I voted that we will impact some women, but I definitely do not think it will become the norm. I agree with those who say this requires a change of mind and a hair-lifestyle change. Its like if we were on a fitness board, and we were learning how to eat better and workout more and drink more water...well no matter how many people saw our results and got educated, there will always be those people who just do not want to put in the work (even though we know it is not that much).

Fitness information has been around much longer than info about black hair care, and its not as though we are all on our game...I see hair as the same way.

Additionally, until we are able to break a mentality that was ingrained in our people a long time ago, there will always be those people who are caught up on the good-hair, bad-hair trip and will be forever convinced that they can never grow their hair.

I think it can become the norm just not for awhile. There is way too much misinformation out there that needs to be combated and that will take a long time.

Hopefully the number of BW with healthy hair will grow and continue to do so because no one wants to be bald headed

I just think that it has to brought to some peoples attention.

Women of ALL races care about the health of their hair, no-one can tell me that black women are the only ones who dont

Their is just a wide spread belief that we cant, if someone were to change that.....Like advertise Cathy Howse's book or LHCF on Oprah, in every hair salon, in every hair magazine, in every BSS store.....and on a commerical daily or something, i think that at least 60% of black women would try.

Hair growth potions and beauty salons have to be billlion dollar industrys, and black people buy and go to alot of them because they want longer and healthier hair.

I think that just about ALL young black women (like teenagers) would believe that they could grow their hair.....and thats were it needs to start imo.

No. I don't think it will be because many black women I know are more content to do what they are used to than try something new that will give them the results they are looking for.
Add a weave dependency on top of that which is instant "long hair", and I dont see things changing any time soon on any large scale.

Add a weave dependency on top of that which is instant "long hair", and I dont see things changing any time soon on any large scale.
I don't believe we will see a big change anytime soon either but look how much has changed already in the last 10 yrs:yep:
I believe 20 yrs from now on we will see more healthy and long(Sl-APL) hair then we see now as well as a larger number of stylists and hair care products that promote healthy hair:grin:

Last edited:
I would like to say yes but no............

People are afraid of information. Even on this site where you have acess to TONS of info, people still seem afraid to use it. Its like once you have the info, you no longer can use the same backwards thinking mentality to explain your problems. Black women have negative talked themselves to DEATH about hair. Your thoughts eventually become your actions. You say my hair is nappy and ugly, I want it super straight so what do you do...Run out get the super perm every 4 weeks.

People always want the "get rich quick" method for everything. Even here sometimes you just see people looking for the miracle in the jar. While we all know some products Rock and some suck, you should be more concerned with finding out what you need first and how to navigate through the tons of hair care products first. I know that was my intial mistake and I wasted so much time because of it. Truth be told, it really isn't as complicated as we can make it seem. Our negative attitudes make much more difficult than it has to be.

In all of my years over forty I have yet to met someone bw that wanted short hair, I know some that say its easier to maintain and it doesn't grow but this long anyway so might as well keep it short. Thats what I hear nothing about I love it and I am keeping it this way.

Wow, really! I know a lot of women, including myself who got super short cuts and loved it. Personally, I chopped it of at 13 and kept it moving for a decade, taper and all (different bang lengths). Then my stylist asked me why don't I let it grow out once. I agreed on the condition that it maintain some sort of style along the way. She kept me from cutting when I got scissoritis. I really never thought about a stopping point or how long it would get along the way...and @bsl I started transitioning and then found LHCF I know plenty of women like this that cut and grow along the way. There are alot of examples on the hair boards of women with bsl/mid back and waist length that cut into bob length recently (me included). And a lot of women rocking TWAs that love it

I don't think we should assume that all "black" women want long hair, but healthy hair, yes.

However, we really have a long way to go because weave has infilitrated children's hair care, setting them back not only physically but psychologically as well. For the life of me, I can not see any plausible reason why a healthy child ever needs any added hair! :wallbash: The vast majority of these children will have permanently damaged hair lines and lower self-esteem into adulthood.

I don't think long hair will be the norm for us, sorry, but true. the average black woman with a relaxer DOES have to go thru more than a white woman to reach a certain length. And there is nothing wrong with saying that most of us don't want to go through that.

I think healthy hair will become the norm, some people just don't like long hair. My mother keeps her hair short and natural and she loves it that way. When I was younger my hair stayed at bsl. Around 12 I found weave and how I loved it. Soon I began to use it as a crutch and started being lazy with my own hair. I've gone through quite a few "grow back" sessions. I think alot of bw do the same thing. Weave can become a go to solution instead of just taking care of their hair. But I think influence can be powerful too.

Healthy: yes. Long: no.

Black women are very trendy with our hair, and as long as the weave industry is in full bloom... we probably won't care about long hair. We are very individual with our style, so I doubt you'll ever see a day where every black woman has long hair; too conformist. Some new style will come up and we'll emulate it.

I have to cosign with everyone else. I absolutly think healthy hair will be the norm. It's catching on that stiff, dry, brittle hair is not alluring. And some changes have to be made. When I was in elementary school I saw a lot of hair that was on it's death bed and I don't as much now.
The word is being spread and not just by LHCF either I have a friend who just called me up and told me about a bi-annul forum her sorority is hosting about AA women and their hair.

Yes,

when stylists stop giving quick fixes to hair instead of actually caring for the hair (telling them to come in every 6 weeks for a relaxer to keep it straight, using loads of heat and gloss to create shne).

Also, a lot of women need to not expect their hair to be the same as our other sisters of different nationalities. I think our hair needs more care and gentler handling. When women start getting that through thieir heads and stop using rattail combs as an everyday styling appliance, we'll be good to go!

AND...think about how many women have natural hair today. I mean, most people thought THAT would never happen. I know I sure as heck didn't. Then they napped me and converted me to the dark side. Those heffas.

LOL! I love that! I certainly hope healthy hair will become the norm with us. It amazes me how many women I continue to see on a regular basis that still have torn up hair...broken off, sticking up all over, dry looking, hidden under a bad-looking weave which I know they didn't moisturize underneath, etc. I hate to sound so judgemental, but it just trips me out how these same women will walk up to me, ask me what I do to my hair, and won't take my advice. :ohwell:

I voted "Yes, we can have an impact on some women". I have a great hair care/growth support group thru my friends and co-workers. I even have one of my white co workers bringing me products (She has hooked me up with a lot of good stuff). Just as recently as yesterday, I was in a co workers office, and she was asking questions and taking notes. I referred her and another co working to this site.

My mom is REAl old school when it comes to hair care, now she is even coming around. It has been my experience that most BW want healthy hair, and with health there will come length. Maybe not everyone wants WL hair but I believe that most BW if given the chance and know how would have longer hair then they currently do now.

I always hear BW makeing the comment that "I dont care if my hair grows anymore but I want it to be healthy". Its almost as if they really believe that their hair will not grow long. This is what makes me think that BW are seeking hair health and are willing to do what it takes to get there. Length will only be an added bonus to health.

I think so, I was reading black hair sophisticates and Monique Coleman (high school musical) was featured. She had some very healthy hair habits. Stretching, water based moisturizers, protein conditioners. I was impressed, she sounded like a member of LHCF. Also, slowly the hair magazines are changing a bit too. I just read in my friends hair magazine, i want to say hype hair, about co-washing! I was pleased and water based moisturizers.

Judging by the condition of a majority of BW hair nowadays it definitely does seem like they are improving. I'm seeing a lot more of them with hair longer than shoulder length and in pretty good condition. Also I notice a lot more naturals than I used to, and that's a good thing. It shows that we are entering a period of time where we're becoming more comfortable with our hair and we are not fighting it anymore but are now trying to work with it so that it can become healthier. Of course there will always be those that don't really care and will continue to do damaging things to their hair, but I'm noticing that most are starting to take better care of their hair, and that's a good thing.

No, i do not think that healthy hair will ever be the norm for BW. There is too much work involved (when you're not used to making an effort). Most human beings will choose the easy way out whenever it is available to them. With all the weaves and lace fronts out there, people have no reason to even attempt looking after their hair. To me the equivalent question is "will the obesity epidemic ever end?" of course it won't. Crap tastes good and is readily available. It takes a determined person to say no to all these crutches and most people are too lazy. Most people do not want and cannot handle the truth. They are more willing to believe that "BW hair don't grow" or some other equivalent nonsense. Otherwise they have to face up to the part they have played in their own ruin.

Yes. What we do here & on other hairboards is having a major impact on society. With continued sharing and applying of the knowledge & techniques that we practise here I don't see why healthy hair habits won't become the norm for Black women.

We're pioneers.

I have been blessed with only sons so far; but they are very observant and they are picking up healthy hair habits too!

I said yes because what is normal to some might not be to others. IMHO, for the most part, women on this board are goal oriented and dilligent. You would have to be to grow healthy hair. I'm almost positive, if other women that possessed these qualities and knew about this board, HEALTHY HAIR would catch on like wild-fire, especially cause this not a competition but a place for us all to grow more ways than one.

I think health is the key word, if we all live that healthy life, anything is possible. Knowledge is a powerful think, and personal when it came to my hair i did not have that knowledge, a couple weeks ago i googled healthy hair and this discussion forum came up, and i can not stop reading. I have a 4 year old daughter and what i learn from here i will pass on, and teach her better ways to treat her hair, because what i was taught did not work.

I would say yes. When I first came to this board back in 2001, my hair was a broken mess. I never thought it could grow the way it has.

Now before I do anything to new and improved to my hair. I come here and search for that wisdom that I know is here. Somewhere somebody has already done this or tried that. There's no need for me to find out later that it was bad for my hair.

Just what I've learned in product use and misuse alone has saved me tons of money and breakage. That said, I try to pass on my knowledge to other and always invite sisters with hair issues or those who have beautiful hair to join our site. They benefit from us and we benefit from them.

Seriously, Long hair is the norm in my family, but not with bw. I don't think every bw wants long hair, but they do want healthy hair. I know that is what I want. My mother is WL and says that her long hair doesn't mean anything if it is not healthy. So I think healthy hair will be the norm!

I already see plenty of black women with healthy hair, that's not uncommon. Long, on the other hand? Not very often.

So, I think my answer is no. Seeing both long and healthy hair on black women will not be the norm, at least in my lifetime.

I think that there will be more women that have longer LENGTH hair. I am a firm believer in education. The more that we all learn, the more likely we are to apply it and share that knowledge with others. I agree, not all people want WL hair, but I think there are a lot of women that want SL/BSL hair. For a variety of reasons, it seems that we aren't able to quite get there.

I can't think of a single woman in my mom's family that has hair longer than shoulder length. They're all NL, in between NL and SL, or maybe slightly SL. There are a few beauticians in my family, but after finding LCHF I am not sure that they learned anything in cosmetology school!!!

My hair has grown more in two months than it has in the last two years! That's real!

In order for BW to achieve very long healthy hair, there would have to be a complete change in how many of us view ourselves and debunk the myths about our hair that has been passed down for centuries. I had this discussion with 3 friends of mine and it's hopeless! :nono: Seeing what BW put in their hair and what they do to it and looking at how they eat and the lack of exercise is just not going to get them there. There seems to be a lack of concern of our overall health. What we put in our bodies and what we do to our bodies will effect our hair and everything else. It comes down to respect. Respect in oneself, appreciating all that you were born with. My hair has been at it's healthiest since I decided that the best thing for my hair was to let it do what it naturally does and educated myself on what my hair needs to thrive. Flat iron and curling iron heat instantly dries my hair a breaks it off. It must be protected when irons are applyed to the hair. But none the less heated irons are meant to breakdown or alter the structure of the natural curl in order to straighten it.

I think some of us will achieve the lengths and healthy hair but for it to be normal would take years that we will never see. We have an entire haircare industry that continues to misseducate BW. Fortunes are being made off of our ignorance. Unfortunately there is mass laziness when it comes to our hair and many of us are looking for the quick fix or long hair now syndrome. I think if more women viewed weave as a protective style and took the proper precaution, they would see less breakage and have longer stronger hair growing underneath it. But too much dependence on other peoples hair is getting out of hand.

I think it's pretty simple, if you want longer hair stop cutting it! Trim in small increments AS NEEDED! Unless there is significant damage. Not when your hairdresser says it's time to cut an inch off those ends because it's been 8 weeks already. If I cut an inch of my hair every eight weeks I would cut off all of the new growth and would be back at square one. Wondering why my hair won't grow.

As I type I think we can achieve this. I think we can only lead by example, if more people see us with longer, stronger and healthier hair they will start to listen to us not the haircare industry.

If LHCF could get some publicity on black radio/television shows, I think healthy hair on black women could easily become very common. Michael Baisden anyone?

ETA: People might think it's too much work now, but as more LHCF women reach their goals, I wonder how quickly envy will set in with women friends and relatives--even if they do look cute with shorter styles.

I think the main shift that will need to happen is not spending too little time on hair, to spending more time, since sooo many bw are already sitting up in the hair and braid salons for hours, spending money hand over fist. The real change will have to be from caring more about how to "do" hair than how to care for hair. We like our "styles" too much (weave, spritz, gel, color, perm, etc.). That was the first thing that LHCF taught me had to go.

Last edited:
maybe. i moreso wonder if bw will ever let go of relaxers.

*sigh*

this coming from a bonestraight relaxed head. :look:

Back