Downloaded 'The Truth About Cheating'? Then explain this....

Golong

If you downloaded The truth About Cheating...featured on Oprah then hopfully you got to that part that will explain this to me.

I date a co-worker(will never do that again) for about 8-9months when I found out he was engage to be married the entire time:blush:. Can you say blindsided :wallbash:!!!!!!!!!!! Yes he did me dirty, but I really want to know how he could do this to his wife to be.

On Oprah, the cheating addressed couples that were married for years. I can almost wrap my head around the whole 7 year itch/losing intrest thing; but this couple should be in a blisful stage right? Does the book explain cheating in new marriages?:nono:

Last edited:
You said engaged......so the blissful state normally comes right after the marriage. If he isn't married, and just engaged, and led you on......he must have been in one of the "Cold Feet", "I'm not sure if she is the one", "I'm sure she is the one, but can't be the only" stages. I see this happen a lot (UNFORTUNATELY) to engaged couples. It makes me sick to my stomach, people take marriage for granted nowadays. What happened to the value in it?

Last edited:
Some men just cheat to be cheating...

But in your case, it sounds like you got to know each other and he liked you and felt like he could get away with it and not get caught. Cheating is not about sex, or the "itch"...alot of times its about insecurities or emotional deficiencies.

His fiance probably was keeping it real with him in a way he didn't want to face. So he can come to work and play "superman" with you and hide the flaws he knows the fiance knows about. You compliment him, make him feel like a man, boost his self esteem....then he goes home to her because she's who he "loves."

But he can't tell her how he's feeling, so he pretends with you. If she found out, he'd throw you under the bus in a minute most likely.

OR he's just a jerk.

How did you find out he was engaged?

Some men just cheat to be cheating...

OR he's just a jerk.
But in your case, it sounds like you got to know each other and he liked you and felt like he could get away with it and not get caught. Cheating is not about sex, or the "itch"...alot of times its about insecurities or emotional deficiencies.

His fiance probably was keeping it real with him in a way he didn't want to face. So he can come to work and play "superman" with you and hide the flaws he knows the fiance knows about. You compliment him, make him feel like a man, boost his self esteem....then he goes home to her because she's who he "loves."

But he can't tell her how he's feeling, so he pretends with you. If she found out, he'd throw you under the bus in a minute most likely.

Very good analysis. I agree. Some cheat just cus they have the deficiencies and the "new person" makes them feel all shiny and new.

As this poster said, Fiancee knows the deal and accepts him the way he is...

You said engaged......so the blissful state normally comes right after the marriage

I guess this thing has become acceptable or aleast excusable. I am having a hard time wraping my head around that. From my experience with my brothers getting married they were in total bliss before and during the engagement. They go through the preparation of getting the ring, askingher family for the ladies hand in marriage, setting up surprise proposals and anticipation of her answer. They could not stop talking about it and were so proud of their lady and the decision to get married; they were all on cloud nine.

for months my current male co-worker brought in jewlery magazines and went to each office asking women about styles of engagemnet rings. He talks about how wonderful his girl is on the daily. On Friday he brought the ring to work and showed it off and told everyone of is plans for proposing on Saturday.

So when this guy I was dating kept is marriage underwraps (very few knew) and living a single/double life, just seemed odd to me because my experience with enaged or newly engaged men.

But who knows....maybe your right; maybe he was confused and unsure (But if that was the case then why ask?) Maybe it wasn't a happy time for them. Maybe it was a gun shot wedding. :ohwell:

Last edited:

When I haven't heard from him all day and he wasn't at work that evening, I asked our supervisor if he had called. My supervior told me he was getting married in the next week or two & has taken 4 wks off.

Golong,

If I were you, I'd stop trying to figure out this guy (and all guys). I speak not from a judgemental standpoint but from an experiential one. I remember once I attended this class given by the YWCA on how to tutor adults to read. There was a guy in the class who showed much interest in me. I was very flattered. We exchanged phone numbers. Talked on the phone a few times. All of a sudden, the phone calls just stopped. That was when I was in my twenties. And like most twenty-something females, I thought something was wrong with me. Why did he stop calling? Did I do or say something that offended him? Am I too tall? Too short? Too skinny? Too fat?

About a month later, I saw him on an independent Christian television station sitting at a table with four other church members discussing marriage from a Biblical perspective. He was the "youngest" member who had just gotten married. He was giving his opinion from the young point of view.

TRIPPED . . . ME . . . OUT!!!

But I did learn from the experience. And no, I don't believe that all men are dogs. I've learned that EVERY man is different and EVERY situation is different. By trying to categorize each man in the same box, is the same thing that whites do when they try to categorize all blacks in the same box. We as blacks are all different, our experiences are different, our temperments are different, so for the majority to expect one black opinion to represent blacks as a whole is unfair and totally biased.

Likewise, when we observe good black men act one way with their women, and then ask these men why the black man we are dealing with acts so "trifling," we are apt to get many very different answers and views, which only adds to our confusion.

I'm willing to bet your co-worker really does not want to get married. For if he did, he would be proud of it and EVERYONE at work would know about it. Don't fret, because I'm willing to bet that once he does get married, his marriage will not be a happy one.

I'm not sure if you remember the Oprah show from a few years ago where she had several men who were explaining why they cheated. There was a brother on this show who stated that he was dating several women simultaneously when one of them gave him an ultimatum: marry her or it is over. He agreed and before the marriage he met with each of the women he was dating to tell them he was getting married and that he would no longer be available. One of these women responded to him by saying that his getting married didn't matter to her, she would continue to date him even after he married. (I am not going to even begin to postulate about her willingness to continue seeing a man who chose someone else to marry.) They continued to date and according to him, he was with her the night before (or it may have been the night of) he got married. So just because a man marries a woman, does not mean that he is necessarily committed to her. I think a lot of women believe that because a man marries her, then she has him. NOT TRUE. Which is why I believe so many people who are married are miserable.

I believe that a man commits himself to his wife long before the actual ceremony. Which is why I refuse to force a man's hand when it comes to commitment. I've been in love before and I know it to be a beautiful thing. Just like God doesn't force us to love Him, I don't think it is right for us to force (or try to anyway) any man to love us. I highly recommend the book, He's Just Not That Into You by Greg Behrendt to any woman who makes excuses for her guy.

I know it is difficult. But try your best to move on. Thank God you found your co-worker out before you became too emotionally invested. Don't take it personal because from what you explain about this situation, it has nothing to do with you personally but with him and his relationship with his fiancee.

Learn from this situation and if you encounter it again in any shape, form, or fashion. . .
RUN, RUN FAST FROM THE INSANITY!!!!

Golong,

If I were you, I'd stop trying to figure out this guy (and all guys). I speak not from a judgemental standpoint but from an experiential one. I remember once I attended this class given by the YWCA on how to tutor adults to read. There was a guy in the class who showed much interest in me. I was very flattered. We exchanged phone numbers. Talked on the phone a few times. All of a sudden, the phone calls just stopped. That was when I was in my twenties. And like most twenty-something females, I thought something was wrong with me. Why did he stop calling? Did I do or say something that offended him? Am I too tall? Too short? Too skinny? Too fat?

About a month later, I saw him on an independent Christian television station sitting at a table with four other church members discussing marriage from a Biblical perspective. He was the "youngest" member who had just gotten married. He was giving his opinion from the young point of view.

But I did learn from the experience. And no, I don't believe that all men are dogs. I've learned that EVERY man is different and EVERY situation is different. By trying to categorize each man in the same box, is the same thing that whites do when they try to categorize all blacks in the same box. We as blacks are all different, our experiences are different, our temperments are different, so for the majority to expect one black opinion to represent blacks as a whole is unfair and totally biased.

Likewise, when we observe good black men act one way with their women, and then ask these men why the black man we are dealing with acts so "trifling," we are apt to get many very different answers and views, which only adds to our confusion.

I'm willing to bet your co-worker really does not want to get married. For if he did, he would be proud of it and EVERYONE at work would know about it. Don't fret, because I'm willing to bet that once he does get married, his marriage will not be a happy one.

I'm not sure if you remember the Oprah show from a few years ago where she had several men who were explaining why they cheated. There was a brother on this show who stated that he was dating several women simultaneously when one of them gave him an ultimatum: marry her or it is over. He agreed and before the marriage he met with each of the women he was dating to tell them he was getting married and that he would no longer be available. One of these women responded to him by saying that his getting married didn't matter to her, she would continue to date him even after he married. (I am not going to even begin to postulate about her willingness to continue seeing a man who chose someone else to marry.) They continued to date and according to him, he was with her the night before (or it may have been the night of) he got married. So just because a man marries a woman, does not mean that he is necessarily committed to her. I think a lot of women believe that because a man marries her, then she has him. NOT TRUE. Which is why I believe so many people who are married are miserable.

I believe that a man commits himself to his wife long before the actual ceremony. Which is why I refuse to force a man's hand when it comes to commitment. I've been in love before and I know it to be a beautiful thing. Just like God doesn't force us to love Him, I don't think it is right for us to force (or try to anyway) any man to love us. I highly recommend the book, He's Just Not That Into You by Greg Behrendt to any woman who makes excuses for her guy.

I know it is difficult. But try your best to move on. Thank God you found your co-worker out before you became too emotionally invested. Don't take it personal because from what you explain about this situation, it has nothing to do with you personally but with him and his relationship with his fiancee.

Learn from this situation and if you encounter it again in any shape, form, or fashion. . .
I started commenting on all the good points you made, but there are just too many.
You are 100% correct. I have been trying to figure this guy out for such a long time. I wasted time thinking I was less than, because that was the explaination he offered. Now I know it was never about me. It was about him and his relationship with his fiancee. He told me that he will eventually grow to love her. For his and her sake I hope he does and also finds peace; because I have. 1000 thanks to you GypsyGoddess!:kiss:

Last edited:
Golong,

I am so sorry! I LOVE YOUR POST! Very, Very, Insightful!:yep:

Golong,

((((HUGS)))) to you. I will say this that he mislead you and he will get his! Something is wrong with him and not you! He thinks he is getting away now however, life will catch up too him and when it does =(

Just thank the good Lord that you are not the one he is marrying. She has a LOT to deal with and cannot walk away from him as easily as you can.

I don't have advice but what a jerk. Do you think his fiance knows? I would hate to be engaged to a guy like this

Back