Dominican Rolleset

FlawedBeauty

I was thinking of going to a dominican salon but not for a blow out.

1. Would you say that a roller set will be able to get my roots very straight?? I'm sure not quite as straight as if i were to have them put all that heat on my head.

2. Also, do you find that a dominican rollerset differs from a roller set that i would get at a regular salon, and how do i tell them. Do I just say I would like a wash and set?? :look:

I'm nervous they will bring out the scissors and try to fuss with me that I don't want it cut. They don't speak very good english at the one in my town but they do a great job my friend said about her nieces blow out.. TIA

I think that the blow out after the rollerset, not neccessarily how they rollerset is what gets the roots really straight. I haven't had one (yet), but I know a lot of people who go to the Dominicans. HTH

crlsweetie912 said:
I think that the blow out after the rollerset, not neccessarily how they rollerset is what gets the roots really straight. I haven't had one (yet), but I know a lot of people who go to the Dominicans. HTH

durn it! i don't want all that heat on my head!!! whats a girl to do??!! :ohwell:

In the past I've been to a Dominican Hair Salon and the rollerset is not what distinguish them from other Hair Salons, it is the blow-out, whether the whole head or just your roots.

IMO if you don't want a blow-out to your roots or whole head, you can just go to a regular salon for a rollerset. HTH.

I find that their rollersets, comparaed to other salons, get my roots extremely straight (even w/o blowing the roots). I'm almost 10 weeks post and I just had a basic rollerset last week (no heat at all). I have them use the red rollers so my hair comes out very curly. If I roll it myself, it's a different story--my roots don't get as straight at all.

thank you! that is what i was wondering because i may as well go to a regular salon if there is no difference. i suppose it all depends where u go because some will say they dont get the roots as straight w/o heat while others say the roots are straighter at the dom salons

My roots are much more straight with their rollersets on my hair. And they wont bring out scissors if you don't want it. Now thinking of it I have never had them tell me that I need a trim.

I have not been able to get the Domican Stylists I go to to trim my ends. They suggest I deep condition my hair instead. I was wondering if they have something against cutting. In fact I have never seen them cut anyone's hair.. hmmm:ohwell:

I love Dominican salon rollersets but I hate the heat. I usually lift the hood of hair dryer. I wonder if the heat is part of the reason my hair seems straighter.

PinkPebbles said:
In the past I've been to a Dominican Hair Salon and the rollerset is not what distinguish them from other Hair Salons, it is the blow-out, whether the whole head or just your roots.

IMO if you don't want a blow-out to your roots or whole head, you can just go to a regular salon for a rollerset. HTH.

Co-signing... they aren't doing anything special with the roller set... It's the blow out makes it straight. I used to love going once a month or every 2 months when I was transitioning, but I don't go anymore.

FAMUDva said:
Co-signing... they aren't doing anything special with the roller set... It's the blow out makes it straight. I used to love going once a month or every 2 months when I was transitioning, but I don't go anymore.

Co-signing again; I think anyone that can do a great rollerset will get your roots straight (I nominate dlewis!:lol: ), but what makes it so sleek and bouncy is when they go back after your rollerset and blow out each section. (also the products they use too) Sometimes they will do the entire length of the section and sometimes they will only do the roots. They will do neither if you just tell them you want a rollerset.

When I have been many many weeks, post, I let them do a rollerset and b/c I was really far along, my roots didn't get that straight (think I was like 5 months or so), but I told the lady to ONLY blow my roots and she kept telling me she couldn't blow just the roots and would have to blow the entire length. It wasn't that she couldn't; she didn't know how. Another lady was trying to explain it to her and she just flat ironed the roots with a ceramic iron instead.

HTH:)

I just had one today on 11 week post hair- I've still got my doobie pins in too- I can't wait to take it down tomorrow when I see my family. For some odd reason, even just the basic rollerset comes out looking like a relaxer to me- soft, bouncy, and swangin. You don't even stay under the dryer very long so I'm not sure what the secret is, but i watched closely today and noticed that they always made a tight, clean set with each roller. I don't know, I rollerset all the time and my hair never comes out like theirs. As for the heat, to me it's a little treat for being so good to my hair and bunning for months at a time. I only get them every 3 months or for a special occasion- it really makes you feel good to see all the new growth without that nasty perm smell from a relaxer. Everyone is right- the blow-drying is the finishing touch- just buy a good heat protectant and hand it to your stylist:)

i go to the dom salon all the time..never let them blow dry my hair..my scalp is too sensitive for that..and their rollersets r much diff from other salons.. they use a leavin conditioner mine use neexxus headdress, and other salons use setting lotion.. so thier curls r soo much softer.. so go their if u dont want firm curls.. setting lotion and my hair dont get along!!
hth

Back