Dominican Challenge Month 2 update!!

RabiaElaine

Hi ladies!!

So we are finished with month 2 and starting month 3 of this challenge. Please give us your update on how you are doing and what you have altered in your dominican regimen last month.

Share share share :).

So here's my update:

-Well at this point I'm 7 weeks and 1 day post relaxer. I usually get my relaxer at week 6, so I'm excited. So far the stretch is going well for me even though I'm only 1 week and 1 day into what I consider my stretch period. I'm trying to make it 10 weeks to the week of April 24th. I have about 1 inch of growth now in most areas, maybe more.

-So here's how I've altered my regimen. I've been conditioner washing and giving myself protein treatments in between my weekly salon visits. I dry my hair via various variations of Sylver2's scarf method. I don't really comb my hair once it's dry, I only lightly brush the hair laying on top for smoothness and neatness.

-Now that I have a significant amount of growth I stopped alonging them to blow out my roots. Now you won't believe what I got my dominican salon to do for me....I asked them to flat iron my roots with my CHI Flat iron after they remove the rollers. When I first asked them they looked at me like I was crazy :eek: . But I just demonstrated how I wanted it done and they did it:grin: !!!
I love that salon, and now they love my CHI!!! They couldn't stop talking about it in Spanish (good thing I can understand spanish pretty fluently, listening anyway, talking is a whole other story).

-Anyway in general this seems to be really working for me, I don't really experience any demarcation breakage and shedding is at a minimal. My hair is definitely looking longer ( I know I need to take update pics).

I hope everyone else is doing well, please write in and let us know!!

Ohhhhh, Rabia...I stopped going. I'm psyched that you're doing well with it but Lucy was burning the life of out of my scalp and I actually have a very small section of hair on my crown that's an inch long. It's just too freaken hot. :::shudders:::: I *may* try to get a blow out once I reach 8-9 weeks again and see if I can continue my stretch that way. We'll see. That woman with her hell's fire blowdryer and her mini comb is the devil I tell ya'!!!! *makes cross with fingers**

I fell off my Dominican Challenge...
I am planning to go when my roots grow out... therefore helping me to keep it manageable... :look:

I'm not on the Dominican challenge, but Rabia I just had to say that I really like your hair and your messy half up do. I used to comb my hair like that when it was relaxed because you're right..it does look sophisticated! Keep up the good work girl. Your hair looks great!

Leshia said:
Ohhhhh, Rabia...I stopped going. I'm psyched that you're doing well with it but Lucy was burning the life of out of my scalp and I actually have a very small section of hair on my crown that's an inch long. It's just too freaken hot. :::shudders:::: I *may* try to get a blow out once I reach 8-9 weeks again and see if I can continue my stretch that way. We'll see. That woman with her hell's fire blowdryer and her mini comb is the devil I tell ya'!!!! *makes cross with fingers**

I'm sorry to hear that you can't stop her from blowing out your hair. That stinks because the rollerset is so good for my fine hair to add bounce. As I said in my update I've started having them use my chi flat iron to straighten the roots, do you think Lucy would object to doing that and leave the blow dryer alone?? It's funny the small tooth combs at my hair dresser for putting the hair in the rollers is just fine for me, I see hardly any hair in them when they are done, but as I have said in previous posts they are really gentle at Amiris so the comb through the hair really slowly and change directions if they come up against a tangle, they NEVER rip through it. I wish everyone could go to Amiris, they are great there is you want to wear your hair straight.

Ginsana said:
I'm not on the Dominican challenge, but Rabia I just had to say that I really like your hair and your messy half up do. I used to comb my hair like that when it was relaxed because you're right..it does look sophisticated! Keep up the good work girl. Your hair looks great!

Thanks girl!!! I'm always looking for new styles on this board so that I don't get bored during my stretch.

I'm still roller setting, allowing it to air dry, and flat ironing the new growth only. I have a considerable amount of new growth and I'm 4 weeks post relaxer. I'll do a full measurement at 8wks when I relax. I'm getting a ton of breakage when I wrap my hair to do a roller wrap, so I have started to keep my curls in until I can get my breakage under control.

I was suppose to start the dominican challenge next month, but dont think i will be due to the fact that i am trying to have no type of heat on my hair till august, and see the benefits....good luck though ladies:)

I have been rollersetting (dominican method) my hair myself once a week and conditioner washing all the other days. I finally got the rollerset right :D . It came out very nice. I have been trying to save money but will be going back to the Salon this weekend since I need a trim.

My hair always looks its best when I get it done at the salon so starting this week its a once a week deal. My plan is to go on Saturday's and start my first conditoner wash on Tuesday and Thursday (my cardio days).

I also got two dominican conditoners Alter Ego Coconut mask and a Dominican Condioner they make at Mirror Image in NY...it just comes in a large jar no name.

RabiaElaine
Where is the salon you go to again?

RabiaElaine, forgot to mention. Your hair looks great in your album. I really like the styles your are wearing and the donut bun is really cute. I am trying to get my friend to do it on her hair...did you say you have fine hair. It looks thick to me.

Ladylynn said:
I'm still roller setting, allowing it to air dry, and flat ironing the new growth only. I have a considerable amount of new growth and I'm 4 weeks post relaxer. I'll do a full measurement at 8wks when I relax. I'm getting a ton of breakage when I wrap my hair to do a roller wrap, so I have started to keep my curls in until I can get my breakage under control.

It's the new growth that is probably giving you breakage when trying to wrap. I rarely wrap anymore unless I get my roots blown or my roots flat ironed really well. I've been just putting a roller or 2 in my hair when I sleep that way I still have some bounce.

lkg4healthyhair said:
RabiaElaine
Where is the salon you go to again?

I go to Amiris New Look Salon on Astoria Blvd. and 97th street in Queens. I love that place.

I was actually going to let you guys know that I cheated ;) on Friday and went to this one just up the street from my job downtown, because I wouldn't have made it to Amiris before they closed. Anyway, the salon is called Essences (I think) on Fulton Street b/w Broadway and Nassau in the financial district. They use mostly Alter Ego products, even to shampoo. It's $15 for wash/set, $5 if you condition under the steam machine, $5 if you want them to blow it out after rollerset/or blow roots. My hair came out really nice I am actually 8 weeks post, and I look like I just got a relaxer. They blew out the roots only in the roller sections (the dryer was super hot, but they blew out the roots even faster than Amiris salon does, it took about 1 minute). The only complaint is that they were not as gentle when putting in the rollers with my 8 weeks post hair as Amiris' salon would have been:perplexed .

I will continue to make Amiris' my main salon because I love the way the treat my hair and me, but I'm glad that I have the option when I can't make it to Queens after work.

lkg4healthyhair said:
RabiaElaine, forgot to mention. Your hair looks great in your album. I really like the styles your are wearing and the donut bun is really cute. I am trying to get my friend to do it on her hair...did you say you have fine hair. It looks thick to me.

Thanks so much for the compliment, I wish my hair looked like the pic in your avatar:) .

I do have fine hair, well the strands aren't so so fine but the it doesn't have much density to it, so to me my hair is fine.

I've been getting my dominican wash & sets once a week. Today I tried the salon on 188st & Jamaica Ave recommend by goldensugar. Its a very small place but the girl did a good job. They charge $15 for a wash & set. I had my own deep conditioner so they didn't charge extra.(Some places charge $2-3 to use the dryer) She wrapped it very nice also. I think I will be going to them on a regular. If their touch ups, which start at $30, are done ok then I'm sold. Thanks goldensugar.

I'm mad that you got them to flat iron your roots...I have been coming home after getting a roller set and flatironing it myself because I'm too scared to ask them to do it. Plus, that blowdryer is too freakin hot, I don't care how silky your hair looks in the end. I don't need third degree burns on my scalp.

caligirl said:
I'm mad that you got them to flat iron your roots...I have been coming home after getting a roller set and flatironing it myself because I'm too scared to ask them to do it. Plus, that blowdryer is too freakin hot, I don't care how silky your hair looks in the end. I don't need third degree burns on my scalp.

I know what you mean, I was scared to ask them myself. I just decided one day to bring my CHI and go for it, they were I could tell they were skeptical at first but then when they saw what the CHI could do they were sold and couldn't stop taking about how good the flat iron was.

Back