Domicican Service for Healthy Hair?

cafe_au_lait

:grin: Hey guys! I was wondering what service you guys that go to salons regularly -- especially Domonican salons -- get to keep your hair healthy in the long run?

I found this realy great Dominican salon down here in the MIA (at this board's suggestion -- thanks ladies! ;) ) and I want to start going like every two weeks, but am afraid that a roller set and blow out every 2 weeks will damage my hair, not help it.

So what do you ask for? Does anyone go to a Dominican salon and just get a roller set? Or does your lady just blow out the roots, and not your whole head?

I really don't want to start paying money for someone to break my hair off -- I can do that myself! :perplexed

Thanks in advance for your advice! :grin:

Oh yeah, and just in case anyone wants to know, the salon is called Dominga Salon, and its directly across the street from Jackson Senior High, sort of around the Orange Bowl area near/on 17th Ave (can't remember the exact address, I just looked online for Jackson then parked and walked to the salon).

Do you know what your friend usually gets when she goes to her Dominican salon? I hear lots of people on the board talk about going to the salon regularly helping their hair, yet I don't see how bi-weekly blow outs could possibly lead to growth unless you have VERY naturally strong hair (not me) :(

Come on ladies -- any suggestions?

cafe_au_lait said:
Do you know what your friend usually gets when she goes to her Dominican salon? I hear lots of people on the board talk about going to the salon regularly helping their hair, yet I don't see how bi-weekly blow outs could possibly lead to growth unless you have VERY naturally strong hair (not me) :(
Come on ladies -- any suggestions?

Ur very right! I can tell you that when I used to relax I would go to the Dom. Salon, which by the way, always used very good products, but I always indulged in the blowouts...HEAT is NOT your friend if you are tryin to gain length and strength. Believe me. The Dom. salon in my area has a whole department dedicated to hair analysis where they examine your hair strands and tell your the best treatment/solution for your hair type. So go in and ask if they have this service and if not tell them you want to grow your hair, and you know heat is bad, what products do they have to help you.

If you are really trying to grow your hair, know that your first enemy is HEAT :lol:

Wow, Suri that salon sounds great.

I was wondering this as well. In Baltimore, I've gone to Manuella's and I've never seen anyone get a roots only blowout. They all get the same full blowout, and then either get it pin curled, wrapped, or wear it down.

Thanks for your advice Suri! :D That salon sounds awesome, but I don't know of any placethat high tech in Miami... could you fill us in on what services they recommended for your hair? Have you ever seen then do different things to their other client's hair?

Melodee, you are exactly right! This is what they do in the salon I go to. On the one hand I think it helps my hair because when they blow it out once, I barely have to touch my hair for the next week, two weeks if I don't wash it (which usually doesn't happen).

I wish I could do this without having to go through that Satan-fire blowout, but I am not sure that just a roller set would last like that or get my hair so straight/swingy/bouncy. What's a girl to do? :perplexed

I only get my roots blown out and I think that it's been working well for me. I also have them to deep condition with 10 en 1. My hair has really been flourishing. I think that deep conditioning is key.

Imani97, did you have to ask them to only blow out your roots, or is this the way they normally do it at your salon? I'm slightly worried that if I ask them to do something they don't normally do, they will mess it up, like maybe break my hair off at the demarcation point when I have a fair amount of new growth... :eek:

And most importantly, are you fully relaxed? I am texlaxed, some parts more than others -- I don't think my hair could take a full relaxer AND regular blow outs. (It's completely straight when wet, then begins to curl up as it dries. The last 4-5 inches are bigger curls that are very easy to straighten with rollers, but the top 4-5 inches are frizzier, so so curly, where I relaxed with Phyto mild and it came out underproccessed) Without fully relaxed hair, do you think they would look at me like I'm crazy if I asked them to only blow out my roots? :confused:

cafe_au_lait said:
Imani97, did you have to ask them to only blow out your roots, or is this the way they normally do it at your salon? I'm slightly worried that if I ask them to do something they don't normally do, they will mess it up, like maybe break my hair off at the demarcation point when I have a fair amount of new growth... :eek:

And most importantly, are you fully relaxed? I am texlaxed, some parts more than others -- I don't think my hair could take a full relaxer AND regular blow outs. (It's completely straight when wet, then begins to curl up as it dries. The last 4-5 inches are bigger curls that are very easy to straighten with rollers, but the top 4-5 inches are frizzier, so so curly, where I relaxed with Phyto mild and it came out underproccessed) Without fully relaxed hair, do you think they would look at me like I'm crazy if I asked them to only blow out my roots? :confused:

My hair is texlaxed as well, so much that it doesn't even look like I relax my hair anymore when it is wet. Anyway, they always ask if I want my hair curly or straight, when I say curly, they only blowout my roots. I've only gone to this salon (Jaselvis) so don't know if other salons give those two options.

cafe_au_lait said:
Oh yeah, and just in case anyone wants to know, the salon is called Dominga Salon, and its directly across the street from Jackson Senior High, sort of around the Orange Bowl area near/on 17th Ave (can't remember the exact address, I just looked online for Jackson then parked and walked to the salon).

So funny you posted this, because this is were I regulary go to get my wash and sets bi weekly. They are AWSOME and take GREAT care of my hair! The only thing that I cannot take his that hot blowdryer. It's terrible for my hair and has set me back a few times before with breakage and I winded up having to cut.

Back