Does your doctor know what supplements you take?

• Thread starter Thread starter Tee
  • Start date Start date
T

Tee

What supplements do you take and what does your doctor have to say about them? How much do you take of these supplements? Did you discuss your use of supplements with your doctor before or after taking them?

To be honest, I haven't told my doctor. One reason is that she barely takes time to talk to me (I think I need to find another doctor) and she's the type who thinks you can get everything your body needs through the foods you eat.

I currently take a multivitamin,vitamin e(500), vitamin c(500), MSM(10000), Super Silica Complex(500), Biotin(600), Choline w/Inositol(250), Selinium, B-50,folic acid(400), PABA(500) and Panthenol. My doctor agrees with everything I take and says my regimen is fine. I've been taking this combination for years and I discussed it with my doctor after I started taking them.

My internal med.guy, gynecologist and even my dentist know every supplement I take. I am sure to provide an updated list to each if my supplement regime has changed in any way.

My general physician (internal med. guy) takes plenty of supplements himself and is very positive in terms of integrating their use into traditional medicine. When I started going to him several years ago, I was very impressed with his overall approach which is being quite conservative.

My gynecologist was very happy when I provided a list and told me he wished more of his patients took at least a good multivitamin. He is also very open to discussion and use with his patients.

With my dentist, he pretty much just wants to know everything:) He's pretty cool for a dentist!

~Jade~

Re: Does your doctor know what supplements you tak

At the moment, no, because I began to take vitamins following by gyno. visit, and will not have a check-up by my primary care doc for awhile.

I will, however, visit my dentist on Wed., and therefore will tell him.

northernbelle

Re: Does your doctor know what supplements you tak

My doctor knows about my iron intake but that's about it. I don't find medical doctors as knowledgable about vitamins as they are about medicines.

perfect peace
Rose.gif

I see a nurse practitioner. She knows what I take. I took my 'bag o meds' w/me on my last visit.
laugh.gif
She thinks it's a waste of money, but not dangerous. She made sure I wasn't getting too much of certain things.

Back