Does your Curl Pattern change with Length?

I'm searching the boards. I found an archive were ladies are talking about their hair changing with lengths. Some are accrediting it to methods of taking care of hair, others to hair weight as it gets longer.

I just don't understand my curl pattern....at all.!! lol

I am relaxed, but I am guessing that it does. it seems weight would pull the curls down further. Also, I've seen many a transitioner with 6 to 10 inches of hair be told that they couldn't tell hair type until it was all chopped off....could this be because the weight of the relaxed strands would stretch and elongate the curls. Hope you aren't mad at me butting in the thread.....as I am a relaxed head. Your hair is pretty by the way!!

No that's FINE lol the more comments, theories the better!!

I'm trying to understand my hair type and why it does what it does. ANd how it might be when it gets longer.....lol

yup! it makes sense the weight stretches the coil out into a looser curl or wave. mine does that

mine has...the 3c has definitely become more noticeable over the past 7 months. i love my curls more and more every day.

Yeah..I am transitioning and my hair definitely has more waves the longer it gets. I have two differrent textures as well so that tricks me...my hair is like cotton and really kinky/spongy in the back and the sides but the top is all corkscrews/spiral curls...so it will be a hoot to see my fro in the flesh..lol

I'm 4a and I thought as my natural hair grew longer my coils would get a lot more looser... But not! My coils hang just slightly longer now that I'm waist length than it did when I was bsl. But not the huge difference I had imagined.

I haven't noticed that in my hair. But it's only shoulder-length so that's probably not enough to see any change if there is any change.

Yep. Since my BC to now, my curls seem to have gotten looser. It's more wavy now with a little spiral on the ends.

^^
Same here. Maybe it's because the older hair at the ends has had more deep conditioning, moisture, and occasional flat-ironing than the new growth has?

yes my sister had WSL 2C hair.. she cut it to BSL and now its 3a with some b.

I cant wait to see how my curl pattern looks when it gets longer. The longest ive ever been unstretched is BSL, stretching to MBL. My curls went from 3b to 3a.

Yes... before I BC'd my hair was wavy and when it was all natural and down to my waist or something (shrunk up to bra strap when dry though), my hair had a mixture of textures. It was mostly just waves, but the ends curled up

I am a natural. as my hair gets longer, it is getting waver(looser) at the root; so thee answer to your question is yes.

Yes. As my hair gets longer it gets wavier. When I wash my hair I see all the curls. When my hair is dry I have waves all over and a little curl at the bottom.

Yup. That's been my experience too. I think the weight and/or length of the hair has something to do with. It doesn't necessarily result in less curly hair, because some people find that at different lengths the curl comes out more. I think that's more likely to happen with people who have loosely curled hair. As the hair gets longer the spiral becomes more obvious.

I have more wavy hair with curls on the ends now. I used to have curly hair all over, but the weight of the hair has straightened the curls out some. Or maybe it's just my imagination. It's still curly, though.

mine has!! it seems like the curls loosen with every 3 inches that i gain lol...but i love my hair none the less no matter how much i say i hate it sometimes

Back