Does you hair shed/ break the wash...& hair update

beana3

after your relaxer?? I've talked to a few females, hair savvy and non, and have come to the conclusion that (for some) the wash after a relaxer produces more hair in the comb.

I washed my hair three nights ago after going a week in between. I was on vacation and did the bantu knots using gel at times (big no no), I didn't comb my hair for like 4 days and basically let my hair "be". When i returned home i washed with a neutralizing shampoo (i normally do this as a precaution) did an aphogee treatment, and followed with suave humectant for 5 mins. I had a few combing rough spots, and way more hair in my comb than what is expected.

The hairdresser said that she still has some "corrective" relaxing to do. It appears that the Affirm relaxed my hair very mildly (what i desired at the time) and compared to the straighter results of the Revlon mild the textures are noticeably different when my hair is wet, casusing comb friction. The beautician wants to do a run through in some areas.

Now i'm thinking my shedding/ breaking troubles derive from 1of 3 things or a combination of them all:

1) really straight revlon hair vs.underprocessed affirm hair

2) more hair is expected from the wash after a relaxer and this is normal

3) I did not comb my hair for a few days and this is hair that would naturally shed during those days.

What do you all think? I would love to hear your responses.

Re: Does you hair shed/ break the wash...& hair up

Hmmm...I'd say maybe #3 because I don't get any shedding when washing my hair after a relaxer. My hair WILL shed though if it hasn't been combed in a few days. After a good combing, the shedding stops.

This happened to me and my friends until we did one thing sw=itch to a lower strength relaxer. I think it is very common to have shedding after a relaxer. I think these are the strands that were already somewhat damaged before and the relaxer just took them over the edge. I also think though that two diff.textures can def lead to breakage.

hmm, cutebajangirl... i used the mild revlon and she left it on for 25 mins. Maybe i should ask to leave it on for a reduced amount of time.

Hey beans!
kiss.gif
Where ya been?
smile.gif

Ok - so....

I think I'd say it's a combo of all with an emphasis on 1 and 3. I agree with CBG re: the damaged hairs taken over the edge but I still dont think that should product a LOT of extra hair in the comb unless there are other factors (like 1 and 3) adding to the problem.

Where'd you end up going to do the touch up BTW? Inquiring minds want to know.
grin.gif

Tracy
wave.gif

I went to a lady named Amparo on 145th and amsetrdam in harlem. For the most part i was very comfortable with my touch-up and I will continue to let her relax my hair unless something adverse happens. she cut my hair really nicely and I received soo many compliments on my hair the whole week.

I had .like 30-40 shed/broken hairs after all was said and done. I guess the real test will be my next wash, if the breakage continues then i will take it as a sign of overprocessing.

This has me thinking about her eagerness to do my corrective relaxer. My hair (when dry) looks uniform, but it is very noticeable when wet.

no problem Tracy, I'll let you know when i plan to back. I was even thinking of going to her next week for a wash n set and a semi-perm cherry cola or jet black rinse.
scratchchin.gif

Beana!
wave.gif

How are you? I haven't heard from you in a while. I was wondering about you

Anyway I think the breaking/shedding could be due to the relaxer. That usually happens to me, especially if I go a long time without a relaxer. It's usually more shedding than it is breaking.

This salon sounds like something I'd give a try. I don't mind driving down from CT. I'm taking my braids out at the end of this month and I will be needing a serious touchup (4 month stretch). I have a big presentation to give at work and I want something new done to my hair. These braids have had it!!

Well if you're going back in the week of October 5th let me know. If not I'll have to settle with going alone
frown.gif
. I was thinking of giving the Revlon Realistic a try and I was also thinking of bringing my super star iron along but, maybe that's a bit much

Let me know. Ok??

Later, great hearing from u!

Sweet nic
wave.gif
What i really liked about Amparo is that she did not negatively criticize my hair. I had a jungle to part through and she did it without any nasty faces or comments like the infamous "when is the last time you had your hair done?" She was wiling to answer my questions as well. Amparo is a Dominican stylist and her prices are very reasonable. .. plus she uses pretty high end products upon request (for about $5 more).

even if i do not get my hair done that week, I will be happy to go with you to the salon. oh and you can leave the flat iron home... you'll love the body too much to alter it lol.

Beana thank you so much. You're such a sweet heart. I'm planning on going down there Thursday afternoon October 9th. I have a big presentation the next day and I want my style to be fresh.

Do you think I will have a problem if I get there at 5pm ?

I'll send u a pm.

ttyl

Hey, Beana!

I think that your breakage could be a combo of reasons 1 and 3. If you didn't comb your hair for days, the hair that you saw on the comb would probably have shed anyway. It just looked more profound because it was 3-4 days worth of shedding. And like others said before, you probably experienced breakage where the two textures meet.

It sounds like you've got a good stylist - no nasty comments about all of your new growth? Wow, that's rare. Let us know how your corrective relaxer goes.

Sorry that you had a problem with Affirm. I used it several times before I went into braids and had no problems with underprocessing. Were you using Affirm Mild? How long did you leave it in for?

Sweetnic: Thursday at 5pm is fine , she has a special mon-wed on relaxers($25) on thursday it costs $35. I think she stops taking people at 6:30pm

Kitkat: I was using the affirm mild and usually let it process for 20-25 mins. I think the problem is more pronounced now because my newly relaxed hair is so straight versus moreso texturized older hair. I will update you on my consultation on the corrective relaxer (which i'm itching to have, i want to know what her methods will be).

Thanks everyone for the advuce and opinions!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Sweetnic: Thursday at 5pm is fine , she has a special mon-wed on relaxers($25) on thursday it costs $35. I think she stops taking people at 6:30pm

Kitkat: I was using the affirm mild and usually let it process for 20-25 mins. I think the problem is more pronounced now because my newly relaxed hair is so straight versus moreso texturized older hair. I will update you on my consultation on the corrective relaxer (which i'm itching to have, i want to know what her methods will be).

Thanks everyone for the advuce and opinions!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of sounding dumb
look.gif
What's a corrective relaxer?

A corrective relaxer is done when there are parts of your hair that are underprocessed from a previous relaxer.
smile.gif
I do want to say though, that not all hairdressers know how to do this safely.
ohwell.gif

Back