DOES USING GLYCERIN IN WINTER = DRY HAIR???

Dymondz7

I read somewhere that glycerin should not be used on hair during the winter because just as it draws moisture into hair during the summer humidity it does just the opposite during dry winters months, meaning it draws dry air into the hair causing sever dryness. :eek: Does anyone know if this is true? :confused:

Do you mean, plain glycerin or glycerin contained in hair care products. Heck, plain glycerin made my hair dry in the summer during the most humid conditions. I am not sure it would, if combined with other ingredients.

I don't know if it's true. But I heard the same thing.
That wherver has the most moisture, the glycerin will draw it.
If it's humid, it draws it from the air.
If it's dry, it draws it from your hair!

I'm referring to hair products that have glycerin as one of the primary ingrediants. I use glycerin based products for my twist outs it gives it the hold to make it last and not frizz. But now that the weather is getting cooler and dryer I'm wearing buns. But I like to change up every so often. Any recommendations for non glycerin products that gives hold and moisture for winter use?

I have brraids in right now and I'm using Sta Sof Fro and sealing in the moisture with Dark and Lovely Hydrating Citrus Blend and Sheen spray. Ive been doing this for one day (today) so far so good. I live in NY and it was raining today. It feels like my hair has a protective barrier on them. I'm pretty sure its gonna lead to build up but I'm gonna wash every week. HTH.

I also heard this but I never had any problems with dry hair from using glycerine in the winter. When I do a wash n go I don't use glycerine products, however, if I opt to make the wash n go last more than 1 day, I use glycerine based products to revive it and keep it looking decent.

Yes, it's true that using glycerine or glycerine-based products in winter or when the air is dry can dry your hair out, because it is a humectant, and humectants draw moisture from the (humid) air. If the air is dry, there is nothing to draw from. I have experienced this myself, when using a moisturizer that had sorbitol and glycerine (both humectants) as second and third ingredient. In humid weather, this moisturizer was great (and once when I went to the seaside (with this product in my hair), my hair was really, really moist!), but whenever I used it during a dry or colder season, my hair would be dehydrated and hard.
At the moment I am using Qhemet Sidr Tree which does have glycerine, but it's somewhere far down. It's working really well for me, especially during this colder season.
Hope this helped!

Well, I was using s-curl early this month and it dried out my hair. I had not been using it for a while, so I can't say if it was the change in weather or not. I don't really like glycerin period. But I don't know what to use that is better.

I experienced this for a while, but I found out I needed to add more glycerine to my homemade mixture. Now everything is back to being moist:)

I read about this on Motown Girl's website. She suggests adjusting the amount of glycerin in your mixture if the weather is dry. For those using S-Curl or Sta-So-Fro, it would probably work to just dilute the spray with additional water (less glycerin=less drying effects on the hair). I like to dilute my S-Curl anyway because it reduces the stickiness that glycerin can cause.

I'm still using SSF as my only leave-in, and it's working great. The weather has been pretty mild though, so we'll see...

I'm in OK, and I use a homemade spritz of 85% Infusium 23, 10% glycerin, and 5% oil (jojoba, olive, or castor), and so far I haven't had any dry hair problems.

Something else to probably consider would be those living in the inner states would probably have more issues with this in the winter than those on the coast or near large bodies of water that don't freeze over. If you live in a dry area, it makes sense that it doesn't work well; the same goes for if it does and you live near water.

Nope, not for me. I have never experienced this, and I live in one of the coldest, unmerciful cities in the lower 48: Jaynestown:look:.

I asked the same question in another thread. This is the response I got from Aggie. I hope it helps. Sorry I dont now how to quote yet :look:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby True
Hi,
longtime lurker coming to the light
I am currently 10 wks post everything was going well but lately my hair has been super dry. My hair is my siggy. I cover my head whenever I go outside since its so cold and I moisturize with S-curl but its still dryNow I am seeing alot of hair when I try to detangle . Help! Im thinking condition with egg this weekend. Any suggestions??? I want to relax end of November.

Hi Ruby True,

Welcome to the forum. I see what could possibly be your problem. You indicated that it is cold out and that you are using S-Curl spray on your hair. Well S-Curl has glycerine, a humectant which draws moisture from the air. Unfortunately it can only draw moisture from air where the humidity is at 65% or higher so it's perfect for me ALL year long because I live in the tropics.

If the humidity is not at 65% or above in your area, then the sad thing is that the glycerine in the s-curl will pull the moisture from the nearest possible place it can get it, and unfortunately, that would be your scalp.

If you are living somewhere where the humidity drops during cold weather then you would have to switch things up a bit and use products without glycerine in it.

A product I use is Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner which is a deep conditioner and a leave in conditioner. You can purchase it from www.naturallycurly.com or www.curlymart.com. I believe the entire line is glycerine and silicone free. I use just about every product in this line.

If you would like a daily moisturizer to replace your S-Curl during the colder months when the humidity drops, then I would recommend Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier which incidently is an awesome detangler as well and you can get it from www.naturalhair.org.

Now there is an entire product line that caters to hair when the humidity is low and it is called Mastey and you can get them from www.sleekhair.com.

Don't just take my word for it, do your research to confirm my findings just to make sure you are doing what is right for your hair, okay?

If you are experiencing breakage, clarify your hair first and remember protein is your friend during a long relaxer stretch so a mild protein treatment should be in order at least once a week to every 2 weeks but you must follow protein treatments up with a moisturizing deep conditioner.

Also, find a protective style that keeps your hands out of your hair. I like extension braids and wigs. Others like bunning and weaves, twists, etc...

i've never noticed a problem with glycerin drying my hair, but I live in Southern california, where it doesnt get too cold. I alternate between using my own mixture with The Roots pure glycerin and SSF.

So would keracare humecto fall in this category as well??? Where do you guys get your glycerin? and brand recommendations?

If you use glycerin with a water based product, it will draw moisture from that.

I use glycerin on my skin and mix it with E45 (water is the first ingredient) and it works great in the winter.

I also mix glycerin with my conditioner on wet hair and this works great for me too.

If you use glycerin on its own on dry air and there is no moisture to draw from, yes it will draw the moisture from your hair and make it drier.

To answer you virgo, I get mine from the cough medicine section. Keracare is also a humectant but you normally use it on wet hair so it would draw the moisture from there.

Last edited:
yes it's very true

ended up with a total glycerine nightmare with my daughter's hair years ago

we don't mess with it at all now :nono:

btw this happened with African Royale Daily Dotor

First ingredient is water , second or third Glycerin

The water content and other ingredients did not help

This was something that took place over time/with how bad it got

No, I don't think this is true. For starters, even in winter in cold places, there's still water in the air. (How else do we get snow?) Additionally most glycerin prods have water in them as well, so it feeds off that too.

If you're experiencing dryness, it may just be winter generally, as opposed to glycerin specifically. If you want, move to an oil based prod in winter time rather than glycerin/water based ones.

Bumping just because I've had a thought - maybe the reason that I've not had a problem with glycerine is because I'm sealing my hair with castor oil? Plus I often have my hair covered in the winter with a scarf and/or a hat too, so that may be a factor...

Back