DOES USING GLYCERIN IN WINTER = DRY HAIR???

I asked the same question in another thread. This is the response I got from Aggie. I hope it helps. Sorry I dont now how to quote yet :look:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby True
Hi,
longtime lurker coming to the light
I am currently 10 wks post everything was going well but lately my hair has been super dry. My hair is my siggy. I cover my head whenever I go outside since its so cold and I moisturize with S-curl but its still dryNow I am seeing alot of hair when I try to detangle . Help! Im thinking condition with egg this weekend. Any suggestions??? I want to relax end of November.

Hi Ruby True,

Welcome to the forum. I see what could possibly be your problem. You indicated that it is cold out and that you are using S-Curl spray on your hair. Well S-Curl has glycerine, a humectant which draws moisture from the air. Unfortunately it can only draw moisture from air where the humidity is at 65% or higher so it's perfect for me ALL year long because I live in the tropics.

If the humidity is not at 65% or above in your area, then the sad thing is that the glycerine in the s-curl will pull the moisture from the nearest possible place it can get it, and unfortunately, that would be your scalp.

If you are living somewhere where the humidity drops during cold weather then you would have to switch things up a bit and use products without glycerine in it.

A product I use is Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner which is a deep conditioner and a leave in conditioner. You can purchase it from www.naturallycurly.com or www.curlymart.com. I believe the entire line is glycerine and silicone free. I use just about every product in this line.

If you would like a daily moisturizer to replace your S-Curl during the colder months when the humidity drops, then I would recommend Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier which incidently is an awesome detangler as well and you can get it from www.naturalhair.org.

Now there is an entire product line that caters to hair when the humidity is low and it is called Mastey and you can get them from www.sleekhair.com.

Don't just take my word for it, do your research to confirm my findings just to make sure you are doing what is right for your hair, okay?

If you are experiencing breakage, clarify your hair first and remember protein is your friend during a long relaxer stretch so a mild protein treatment should be in order at least once a week to every 2 weeks but you must follow protein treatments up with a moisturizing deep conditioner.

Also, find a protective style that keeps your hands out of your hair. I like extension braids and wigs. Others like bunning and weaves, twists, etc...

Makes perfect sense! I'm glad I read through this thread. I was starting to wonder why my beloved s-curl was making my hair feel like crap :yep:

Thanks OP! Good info

I am currently using a glycerine & oil mixture for my edges and nape. Years ago, I used natural glycerine to grow in my nape with great results. For my hair, it does not make a difference.

Back