Does the brand name of vitamins matter?

bellydancer

I am going to buy some vitamins from vitaminshoppe.com and there are so many brand names! Some are cheaper and some are more expensive. Does it really matter? There are brand names that i have never heard of, but they offer low prices for more of the vitamin. What do you ladies think?

Yes, name/brand does matter. Just remember that you are putting something into your body. I would suggest to use naturessunshine.com or andrew lessman at hsn.com (look him under health and beauty). If you must by from drug store I think nature's way is OK. But be careful. You want to use something with good levels of vitamin A. Acutance is very, very high dosages of vitamin A that could only be taken for certain periods of time. But shop around ask questions and try to find a good health food store to get your vitamins if not online. I love, love, love naturesshine's and andrew lessman vitamins and herbs. :grin:

i'm off of accutane now. u think it's still bad to take a multi with vitamin A in it? I still don't understand the difference though. Like... vitamin shoppe has a pound of 1000mg (or is it mcg?) MSM powder for $21 and then another brand has 8 oz. of 1000mg(or is it mcg?) MSM powder for $21. Now I was going to buy the vitamin shoppe brand. What's the big difference? They both say the same thing. Different prices though.

I love the Trimedica Powdered MSM. That's the brand I buy from the Vitamin Shoppe. I definitely think the brand matters.

This is a good question. I wanted to know the same thing too. It's really confusing and I really don't have time to compare all these different brands. So far I have only used GNC which is working quite well and I just started taking Vitaminshoppe brand Skin Elements. I am not sure if this is working yet because it is kind of early. But I guess it depends on the ingredients your looking for and also the purpose of taking these vitamins.

i read about a lot of people using Trimedica, but I'm still swaying toward the VitaminShoppe brand. This is my reasoning... when I was on Accutane i went to the pharmacy to pick up my drugs and they always give u the generic unless u ask for the name brand. I didn't ask (or care) so they gave me Claravis which is the generic of Accutane. It worked for me. It was cheaper (well they were free for me) and it worked! They are FDA approved. I don't know if that means anything though. I guess I'll try it and see. I might go with Trimedica though since I've heard so much about it. I'm going to look it up online....

This kinda leads me to believe that it really doesn't matter. I don't know though.

http://chemo.net/vitamin.htm
Does it Matter Which Brand You Buy?

Buying vitamins can be a befuddling experience. Even if you can figure out the best formulation (with zinc or without?), quantity and dose, you probably don't know what to make of other scientific-sounding claims like "proven release" or "high absorbency." Pricing too can seem as arbitrary as the color of the pill.

Most advertising claims are just hype, but studies conducted in the U.S. several years ago showed significant brand differences in such characteristics as how fast a pill will dissolve in the body. Unfortunately, those surveys are out of date.

U.S. officials are setting up stricter standards for vitamins. Shoppers would do well to stick to brands sold by reputable stores and keep in mind that the highest priced pill is not necessarily the best.

http://www.sbaa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=story_faqs
Does it matter what brand of multivitamin that I buy?

Brand doesn't matter. All multivitamins that are manufactured in the US must meet a certain minimum standard of quality established by US Pharmacopeia (USP). Having the USP standard means that all multivitamins have the same quality vitamin in them.

Back