Does pulling hair back in a pony/bun affect texture?

BrockStar

Someone asked me this question and I have no idea. I'm wearing my hair back everyday and I don't know if brushing it back everyday makes my hair less curly in the front...my hair is curlier in the back than the front. Any comments?

wearing your hair back in a pony can make it less curly -- although it's not permanent with healthy hair. it's basically a dry set. when my hair was longer, the naps would stay stretched in wave/clumps from wearing my hair in a bun during the week. it would always return to it's natural state when i got it wet.

I wonder about this too. Since my hair is short, I usually comb it back to tie it up at night, and I have noticed that the hairs in front seem to always be straighther or gets straighter easier. My hair hasn't thinned or anything, but it is something I think about.

simply, no....The only thing that can affect texture is if you use heat and products that you are using. Once you wet you hair again without the bun it wil revert to its natural texture

I transitioned for 14 months by wearing buns and my daily style is a puff. The front of my hair is wavy as opposed to coily from constantly being stretched out. I'm not a big fan of afro's, but I couldn't wear one if I wanted because my hair in the front just falls forward like bangs or falls back like the wind is blowing hard!:grin:

Pulling it back in a pony or bun is just like stretching the curls out. Whenever I wear my hair this way I always end up with my hair in the front straightening out but it goes back when wet.

cutiebe2 said:
simply, no....The only thing that can affect texture is if you use heat and products that you are using. Once you wet you hair again without the bun it wil revert to its natural texture

i disagree. you damage your hair from brushing and combing. my texture looked totally different as a child because my mom ripped thru my coils with small-toothed combs.

i think it's possible to alter your hair's texture from brushing/combing/pulling it back all the time. i'm guessing this isn't the OP's problem though. when i wear my hair pulled back for more than 3 days in a row, yes i have problems getting the front to coil back up after a wash. it just takes some extra conditioning and manipulation. ;)

Yeah even after I wash and airdry, I have a few hairs in the front that aren't drying curly.oh no...what to do :confused: ...

BrockStar said:
Yeah even after I wash and airdry, I have a few hairs in the front that aren't drying curly.oh no...what to do :confused: ...

after washing and detangling with a wide-tooth comb, i go back over the front parts with a smaller-tooth comb while conditioner is still in my hair. i don't know why, but this causes my hair to curl up better. :confused: if the hairs are being really stubborn, i'll just take the messy section, add a little leave-in conditioner and twist them around with my fingers until they coil up. it's still not perfect but usually the next day when i wash my hair, it has picked up on the coil blueprint i made for it and will go back to behaving. :lol:

Back