Does Anyone Use 2 Shampoos In One Wash?

DST1913

I wash my hair once a week and I do two washes then deep condition. I'm transitioning and mostly do bantu knot outs. Since my hair has butters and oil in it all week, I like to use shea moisture JBCO in my first wash. It cleans my hair of all the product but leaves it a little tangled and squeaky clean/dry. I use shea moisture raw shea butter moisture retention shampoo for the second wash as it untangles and adds moisture.

Does anyone else use two shampoos? If so, why? I've been reading online it is not good to use 2 shampoos. That its unnecessary and the 2 products may not go together. Is this accurate?

Once a week 2-3 lathers of shampoo. If I clarify, I do so twice than wash with a moisturizing poo than dc.
My hair absorbs all the suds and don't really lather the first time. The second poo gets nicely sudsy.

I use minimal products after wash and throughout the week, but sebum builds on my scalp quickly.

I did at one point but eventually felt it was too much shampooing and just too many steps. I can see shampooing twice if there is a lot of buildup or if there has been a long period between wash days. Otherwise, I use one shampoo (Nexxus Therappe) that's effective in one wash.

I agree with @divachyk.

Since you wash weekly 1 shampoo should do.

I do however shampoo twice. Once with a clarifying/chelating poo and a moisturizing poo for the second (much like your poo' line up). I protective style with wigs 98% of the time though, so I only wash my hair every 3-4 weeks.

HTH's
Heeeey @EnExitStageLeft !!!
I shampoo once with a shampoo, then follow up with a cleansing conditioner.

I shampoo twice if I use a lot of product, and I clarify once a month. I used to use Keracare 1&2, but I haven't purchased that in a long time. I wash my hair twice a week, that's why I usually shampoo once. I really don't think a lot of folks wash their hair enough, and this is coming from a skin care professional standpoint. I would see a lot of residue around the hairline with clients. That in turns trickles down to their face and neck. I think the best thing is to find a good Moisturizing shampoo and conditioner that isn't drying, that will reduce the need for a lot of products being used.

Thanks guys. I see that some do and some don't. I guess I need to find/do what's right for me. As a new transitioner (9 months) there is just SO much conflicting information out there you never know what to believe. It's like having a new baby or pet. Everyone has an opinion on what you should and should not do but you settle in what works for you. Its just information overload and can be frustrating as you are learning. and expensive. lol

I recently started doing 2 shampoos cause I grease my scalp every other day. Once with a moisturizing shampoo - which has a silicone - and that is why I use black soap right after.

@Judgement1
How frequently do you cleanse your hair?

I only use two poos when clarifying/chelating. 1st lather to clarify/chelate and second with moisturizing poo to add moisture back the hair. Otherwise, I just use a moisturizing poo.

@Judgement1
How frequently do you cleanse your hair?

I only use two poos when clarifying/chelating. 1st lather to clarify/chelate and second with moisturizing poo to add moisture back the hair. Otherwise, I just use a moisturizing poo.

I wash my hair once a week. the JBCO I guess can be considered as clarifying and the other for moisture. what is chelating?

I wash my hair once a week. the JBCO I guess can be considered as clarifying and the other for moisture. what is chelating?
Chelating is removing the minerals due to hard water, or chlorine from swimming.
I'll take a look at the SM JBCO poo ingredients to see if it has citric acid or EDTA. If so, where to determine if they're being used as a ph adjuster or chelating agent.

How heavy handed are you with your products? Do you have hard water where you live?

I think a good starting point is using your moisturizing poo weekly. And use your clarifying poo once a month followed by the moisturizing one. Then evaluate and listen to your hair.

I use two different shampoos when I clarify. I always follow up with a moisturizing shampoo. To clarify is use Redken Cleaning Cream and after that I use Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo.

Redken Cleansing Cream clarifies and chelates. It's very moisturizing (to my hair) and I don't have to follow up with another shampoo to replenish moisture.

Yes if I have a lot of build up. First with a clarifying, then a moisturizing. But only on the scalp and then let it run down the length during rinse.

I have extremely curly hair. When I use shampoo regularly, I dilute it to make it more gentle. My hair never lathers or gets very "wet" with the first wash unless I do something to soften it, so I rinse my hair with a bit of conditioner first, then shampoo.

Chelating is removing the minerals due to hard water, or chlorine from swimming.
I'll take a look at the SM JBCO poo ingredients to see if it has citric acid or EDTA. If so, where to determine if they're being used as a ph adjuster or chelating agent.

How heavy handed are you with your products? Do you have hard water where you live?

I think a good starting point is using your moisturizing poo weekly. And use your clarifying poo once a month followed by the moisturizing one. Then evaluate and listen to your hair.

Thanks so much! I don't have hard water where I live. I looked up chetaling after you mentioned it. I don't think that is something I would need. the JBCO says is gentle enough to use every day. I used to be heavy handed with the shampoo but I am scaling back. I wash my hair in sections and was putting the same amount on the on section that I would on my entire head. Big waste of product.

@Napp :bighug: You haven't. Every since I started wearing wigs I've lazied up on all things haircare lol. How have you been?

I was wiggin it too but I decided to go back to straight haired natural. my hair is the same length as it was last year so it seems like wigging wasn't working for me.

I'll use 2 different shampoos if I'm clarifying; a clarifying one for the first wash and a moisturizing one for the second wash. When my hair is out, I'll wash my hair once a week and lather twice with the same shampoo (usually a moisturizing sulfate free one).

Back