Does anyone trim their own hair?

Quita3514

Saturday i went to the hairdresser for the first time in 2 months because i needed a relaxer and i was too afraid to do it myself because i didnt want to mess up all my progress from the last two months since my haircut. So i went to the hairshop he gave me a relaxer and it came out perfect the best relaxer I ever had i meant it didnt burn at all i almost forgot it was on my head..lol? Well here's the problem I told him I specifically did not want my hair cut I told him he could cut my edges a little bit because I have a short cut and I need to have some sort of structure to the hair so it would look neater. And you know what he did he cut my hair and I felt he cut too much i mean all my progress for the last two months were on my shoulder i mean i loved the hairstyle but thats not what i asked him to do. Anyways heres where Im at for me to get any lenghth i realized im goin to have to stay away from the shop as long as possible until i can get some kind of length. So does anyone know if any good tutorial videos on cutting and trimming so i can do it the proper way wen i need to dust my ends. Or does anyone have any extra helpful advice..cause looks like im going to be doin my own relaxer and cutting for at least the next year untill i feel comfortable goin back.

If I'm growing my hair out...I do my own trims. If I'm keeping a short cut or bob, I get it professionally cut. I do, however, have a stylist that I can trust to trim my hair without losing progress. Try going to a White hairstylist. I do:)

You know what's so sad about your post? As I started to read about your trip to get your relaxer, I already knew how your story was gonna end. I can't even tell you how many times I've had this happen to me, and I know MANY of us on here have gone through the same thing. You go in for a relaxer, you tell your stylist specifically that you're trying to grow your hair out so you want a good trim but you don't want too much taken off, they say "Sure! Okay!", but when you get up you see all your growth on the floor. :nono:

The last time that happened to me was in August. After having spent my whole damn day in the salon (from mother-lovin' 9am to 2pm in the afternoon), I promised myself I would NEVER go through that again. I waited a long time before getting a relaxer (I let a friend who does relaxers put it in), I purchased some scissors and did some research before my big day. But I jacked up my head with a protein treatment gone wrong and backed out. :ohwell: I figured one DIY screw up was enough for me at the time.

BUT what I did end up doing was taking the advice of a lot of ladies on here on and went to a place that JUST did haircuts (ex: Cost Cutters, Great Clips, Fergie's, etc.). I let the lady know that ALL I wanted was a half inch trim but if she saw that I had any more damage than that to let me know before she cut it out/off, and I kid you not, I got the best trim I'd ever had in my life. :yep: She showed me on her comb (like a length comparison) how much she was gonna take off before she trimmed my hair, she adjusted the way she trimmed my hair b/c I told her I wanted to grow my layers out, and she practically did a S&D (the search and destroy method) throughout my whole head!!! I'm pretty sure I lucked up by getting her, but I hope this gives you an idea of what you'd experience at a cutting place as opposed to a styling place.

Also, if you REALLY want to try self-trimming for yourself, here's the guide I considered using. Feye's Hair Trimming Instructions And here's some info on split ends. Split Ends HTH!!! :drunk:

I did my own big chop last year and have dusted my own ends since that time. I don't worry too much about it being even since my hair is in it's natural state most of the time. I can't think of any tutorials off the top of my head, maybe some of the other ladies can chime in on that one. Happy hair growing!

I just trimmed my hair yesterday, and I am very happy, it was much needed. But I am natural sooooo I don't know how to help you except to say that Tracie or Tracye or something used to have a vid on youtube not sure if it's still there. She is the owner of the K.I.S.S. site and used to be a member here.

I do my own...I search and destroy the top half and dust the back. Once the back grows longer I will add S/D in addition to the trims.

I am really considering do my own from now own. I have found a stylist at jcpenney that does a good job but she is always booked. I having been looking at the split ender

Girl I'm a stylist. Working in a natural salon, and I know it's bad but I still only trust myself. Maybe one other girl but eh, I'm not ready to put my trims in other peoples hands yet. I haven't had a proper trim since March and I'm getting antsy. For now it's very thorough search and destroys.

i trim every six months. Stylists always get scissor happy. Google feye's method. That's how i learned.

Someone, had a video/Fotki where they "dusted" by weaving the length of their hair between the fingers (of one hand) and only trimmed the ends that were raised up on top of their fingers.

IHTH

I trim & cut my own hair all the time. It's pretty easy too. I just make sure its really straight, pull it down, them cut slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I trim mine myself. I only trim when its straight if its curly I search and destroy. What I do is while I'm straightening my hair I take really small sections and cut off a little bit of the ends.

Sure do! I even did my own fade last year. I ain't scurred of the scissors (or the electrical razors). They don't want none of this :whip:

What technique/approach/process are you guys using to self-trim?

I'm really scared to do this but it's better then doing it at the salon and rolling the dice on your progress at the hands of some stylist.

My hair is layered right now and in desperate need of a trim. I'm gonna trim my hair myself next time I press which may be new years eve (although I'm not sure since I've been avoiding heat like the plague of late). My goal is to gradually even my hair out to an absolute blunt cut. It provides awesome thickness when straightened and allows for a really modern looking angular fro when shrunken:grin:.

I'm not playin, 2011 is gametime:cool2:

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

When I do trim, I do it while I am twisting my hair. I hold the hair tight that I am about to twist and snip the ends or whatever then I twist it up. This method works for me because I don't wear my hair straight so if my hair isn't even (which it isn't) it isn't a big deal to me.

I dust my own ends. I really don't have a technique. I simply part in sections like I'm flat ironing, and snip off about 1/8 of an inch of hair. I purchased my shears from Sallys. I don't pay attention to split ends and this technique really cleans up my ends without losing progress.

I was like you, trying to find a way to clip my own ends. I had heard of something called a split ender, but I was like "heck no". However, I was watching Youtube one day and this girl with long, healthy looking hair was showing how she clips her ends with the split ender. So, I decided to invest in one..it was no more than 15 dollars. Girl, it works great! It only trims 1/4 to 1/8" of your hair, nothing more. You can get it offline...it's by Talavera.

Back