Does anyone still use curling irons?

AwesomelyNappy

Is there anything wrong with them? just wondering because i know a lot of the ladies here rollerset.

i'm thinking of getting a new one soon (my current one is yearrrssss old, and i dont use it anymore)... and wanted to research curling irons here to find any recommendations, but info on them seems rare..

so... do you do curling irons? if so, do you recommend anything?

and, if you don't do curling irons, why not?

tia!

I rarely use direct heat, but I own a 1" CHI curling iron. I saved money by buying it on eBay, and I really like it. It doesn't have the temperature by degrees, instead it has low/med/high settings. I use it on low or medium, and it makes very nice, shiny curls. But sadly, it spends most of it's time in my bathroom closet, while the carusos see all of the action. :grin:

Yes, I still use them, but not that often. I'd say I only curl my hair about once every 2 months or so. I haven't gotten the hang of rollersetting yet, so I still use my curling iron when I want beautiful curls. Check out my avatar and my siggy pic. I got those curls using my curling iron. It's made by Revlon and I picked it up at Walmart for about $12. It makes beautiful curls and I love it.

No, I don't use any direct heat on my hair. That was my #1 problem before. I abused heat and didn't care. It caused my hair to dry out and break off. I always had short hair (purposely kept it cut short) so didn't care. My hair always grew well but I was damaging it with the heat. Now, I definitely care and really want to maintain my healthy hair now and have it continue to grow so no heat for me.....except for the dryer (Pibbs). Sometimes I am tempted but I just can't go back........

I still use a curling iron. I use a smaller one by Conair for tight spirals, and a bigger one by Revlon to bump my ends when they get too straight. I use them about twice a month. To maintain my curls or bumped ends I use rollers so I dont have to curl all the time.

I threw mine away when I first discovered LHCF. Using it (along with hot combs) damaged my hair in the first place and I decided not to use heat anymore. I learned how to rollerset for the first time. :)

I threw mine away when I first discovered LHCF. Using it (along with hot combs) damaged my hair in the first place and I decided not to use heat anymore. I learned how to rollerset for the first time. :)

Ditto!:grin: I used to use crimping irons and curling irons before I found this site. My hair has improved greatly since I threw those bad boys away. I still have my flat iron though...I just cant let it go lol!

I very rarely use my curling iron. Maybe 5 x a year. I have a adjustable temp ceramic one that I got from Sallys. don't know the name, it was just one they offered last your during the breast awareness campaign so it's pink. My curls never stay when i use a curling iron which is why i will usually roll my hair the night before with those soft white bendable roller things.

I'm afraid of curling irons :hide:
I think curling iron abuse is a big reason why I've found it so hard to retain any length over the years (Specifically those blasted Gold'n Hot Curling Irons that you can jack all the way up to 10...I never made it past 6)
Every day on dirty hair too...that don't make no sense:nono:

I do every once in a while. I haven't mastered how to correctly use a ceramic flat iron. So, to get that same look I use a big barrel (2") ceramic curling iron.

I do, but I don't like mine. It's a Curlmaster from Target. I don't feel I get as good a result as I did w/ a Gold n' Hot.

I probably use heat more than I should.

I threw both of my curling irons in the garbage because I hadn't used them for a long time. Mainly because they never really curled my hair. To make my hair curly, I use wrap-snap-and-go rollers or perm rods. I have a mini glide that can curl my hair, but I never use it for that.

I still use my curling iron- but not to curl my whole head. I use it like some of the other ladies use a flat iron- to smooth my roots after a rollerset. *to me* flat irons make my roots look limp and flat. I know this is because I am not using it correctly. My roots get just as smooth (but with body) using my 1.5 inch ceramic curling iron.

yup, I use it for special occasions or when Im tired of wearing protective styles.

I got a conair 1 1/2" Ceramic curler and a good old fashioned gold n hot 2" one

I think curling iron abuse is a big reason why I've found it so hard to retain any length over the years (Specifically those blasted Gold'n Hot Curling Irons that you can jack all the way up to 10...I never made it past 6)

Yep, this was me. Gold N Hot all the way. Had to cracnk it up to get the hair good and straight. When I was a teen, I would spray some oil sheen on each section before I curled.:perplexed

Yep, this was me. Gold N Hot all the way. Had to cracnk it up to get the hair good and straight. When I was a teen, I would spray some oil sheen on each section before I curled.:perplexed

Girl don't forget the spritz. So you get that sizzle sound when you curl it. :nono:

Step out of my head! That Gold N Hot was no joke...and I DID turn mine all the way up...every morning before school...on hair that got "greased" every day and washed only every two weeks.

ETA: I haven't used a curling iron in well over a year, but I do own a ceramic one. I use my flat iron occasionally for bumping the ends.

Looks like we need a GoldNHot, spritz/oil sheen support group. :lachen: I can hear the sizzle now. That hair styling gem is known by black women all over the world. But I got that idea from my beautician. I saw her do it so I figured it was ok.:ohwell:

I remember a looong time ago when i used a gold n hot curling iron, i wrapped my dry hair around the barrel, and it burned the whole section out :lachen: It must have been a nice two inch section that went up in a puff of smoke

I threw both of my curling irons in the garbage because I hadn't used them for a long time. Mainly because they never really curled my hair. To make my hair curly, I use wrap-snap-and-go rollers or perm rods. I have a mini glide that can curl my hair, but I never use it for that.

Wrap-snap- and go rollers?

This sounds interesting. You have any photos?

Me too, one piece just broke off
I used to use this spritz in a clear brown bottle

Dont think they sell it anymore, it would freeze the hell out of your hair ..

LOL

Just came off with the curling iron

LOL..

But my hair was still despite that very very strong!

I remember a looong time ago when i used a gold n hot curling iron, i wrapped my dry hair around the barrel, and it burned the whole section out :lachen: It must have been a nice two inch section that went up in a puff of smoke

No. I don't use direct heat on my hair. For me that includes the curling iron and blow dryer. My hair gets nice and straight from rollersetting. When I get a lot of ng I just rollerset tighter to hide it.

No. I can't remember the last time I used a curling iron, it's been years. I do own a few though.

Back