Does anyone rollerset only through a stretch?

Ronnieaj

When I was relaxed I rollerset for the first 4-5 months of my transition. I had to do pretty heavy DCing to make it work, not roll too tightly, and then run a light flatiron over the roots. I don't remember what products I used (I transitioned in 2007), but I believe I would do a moderately heavy protein at the beginning of the month and then moisture the rest. I would also use a regular (medium-tooth, I guess) comb on the natural hair and the fine-toothed on the relaxed part only, which really helped cut down on breakage.

ETA: clearly LHCF is doing that weird ish again with rearranging the post order. It's 1:02p EST.

Last edited:
hey it's me again LHCF!

just wondering if anyone goes the whole way through a stretch with just rollersets, no airdrying or braidouts or bunning. All these things cause me to have breakage except rollersets. I was able to stretch to 10 weeks last relaxer using braidouts in the end but I also experienced some breakage with that method. This time around I want to go to 12 weeks (pray church). I'm only 8 weeks post now. Let me know if you do and also what method you use to minimize breakage while rollersetting. What methods and products help you along the process?

I don't like protective styling or twists so I normally roller set the last few weeks before I relax. Just be extra careful when you are actually roller setting the hair. Too much manipulation or tension while rolling (wet hair) can cause breakage at the demarcation point.

OP, I tagged a few ladies that might be able to answer. They both are consistent at roller setting but you should join the roller setting thread for the best help. Link in siggy.

Thanks divachyk! I ONLY rollerset. I don't do any other style. Yes, it helps with breakage. I'm glad you have a safe, go to hairstyle for stretching! :yep:

blackberry815 I roller set only deep into my stretch & I stretch between 12-16 weeks.

Products that help reduce breakage
for me:
DC with ORS replenishing conditioner overnight or another
Condish that is a light protein & has moisture also.
Roller set with redken anti snap but I use the Sally's knockoff.
I also use chi silk infusion Sally's knockoff to rollerset too. I put it on my hair after the anti snap making sure to get my new growth.

I'm careful with the metal pins by anchoring the rollers to each other instead of through my new growth. OR I use the plastic pins with my mesh rollers like this

a6890cf3-1c7c-3fc0.jpg

HTH! Happy stretching!

bebezazueta Thanks for the tips! I thought about clipping the rollers together too and I sometimes do but I remember an article written by macherieamour about how clipping rollers together will cause breakage. She emphasised it in CAPS, here's the article.

http://www.bvhairtalk.com/2008/01/22/like-the-dominicans-roller-setting-tutorial/

The only thing I can think of is that it would take longer to dry but that kinda made me nervous about clipping the rollers together.

Also when you set your hair with mesh rollers does it take you longer?? I have the french ones that I got from healthy textures but it does take me longer to do. Where can I get plastic mesh rollers like those that you have in the picture? how does it compare to the french ones? are they magnetic?

And how is it that you only need to use one pin per roller!?

Seriously, that's what I want to know!!! I rollerset exclusively when I was relaxed and always used the metal clips, which is its own set of problems. I've tried to use those pins and it was an EPIC. FAIL. HOW do you do it :spinning:?!?!

I cannot rollerset with a lot of newgrowth. I rollersetted my hair when I was about 15 weeks post, the rollersetting process itself was totally fine and manageable. After my hair dried, it was way too poofy at the roots and ridiculous looking. I had to re wash my hair and go to the Dominican salon for them to rollerset me and blow my roots out. I like my rollersets to look sleek or curly and bouncy and it's hard to achieve that look with only a rollerset if I'm stretching. I'm currently 18 wks post, and if I rollerset I'd let the Dominicans do it and blow my roots.

Wayyy back when I was relaxed, rollersetting was only practical in the first four weeks post relaxer, once my coarse 4a/b roots began to really show up, rollersetting would make my relaxed hair smooth, and leave behind rough tough new growth. If I was relaxed I could only do braid outs after a given amount of wks post. Plus I think rollersetting is high manipulation anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

@nyreeroberts1 and topnotch1010

Did u ever notice any damage or thinning? Are there any tips u can share to avoid breakage this deep into a strech? Do u normally retain all of ur length and growth?

I did retain my length (no breakage that I noticed), but I will say that I DC weekly with a mix of moisture (Humectress) and light protein (ORS Replenishing PAK) and moisturize my hair several times a day. 18 weeks was my longest stretch, but I am thinking every 3 months for 2012. Too much new growth and too much work after 12-13 weeks. The best ADVICE I could give is to TAKE YOUR TIME, detangle with a wide tooth comb, and saturate your hair while roller setting. Steam with your favorite DC if you have a steamer. When I take the rollers out, I flat iron my roots and pin curl my hair overnight.

I did retain my length (no breakage that I noticed), but I will say that I DC weekly with a mix of moisture (Humectress) and light protein (ORS Replenishing PAK) and moisturize my hair several times a day. 18 weeks was my longest stretch, but I am thinking every 3 months for 2012. Too much new growth and too much work after 12-13 weeks. The best ADVICE I could give is to TAKE YOUR TIME, detangle with a wide tooth comb, and saturate your hair while roller setting. Steam with your favorite DC if you have a steamer. When I take the rollers out, I flat iron my roots and pin curl my hair overnight.

Thank you! So do u opt not to use a fine tooth comb at all?

im 5 months right now and rollersetting. but i ponytail rollerset.
been noticing less breakage, stronger. styles last longer.

Did u ever notice any damage or thinning? Are there any tips u can share to avoid breakage this deep into a strech? Do u normally retain all of ur length and growth?

my new growth does the same thing.

im 5 months right now and rollersetting. but i ponytail rollerset.
been noticing less breakage, stronger. styles last longer.

Excellent jewels ladies. Taking your time, using a wide toothed comb then smaller, and saturating you hair are the keys to a great rollerset. Ponytail rollersetting is an EXCELLENT idea for deep stretches.

I personally don't stretch more than 8 weeks. I always rollerset up so that the roller is laying on top of my roots so it gets pretty straight. I haven't noticed any thinning or damage from rollersetting.:yep:

Seriously, that's what I want to know!!! I rollerset exclusively when I was relaxed and always used the metal clips, which is its own set of problems. I've tried to use those pins and it was an EPIC. FAIL. HOW do you do it :spinning:?!?!

I only use one pin per roller as well, and it really just takes practice. Some people experience breakage when using pins, which is also a sign that the pins are not placed in the hair properly. I found that the angle of the pin plays a great roll in the hair rollers staying in. You don't want the roller too tight or too loose. Comb the hairs in the roller sections in the opposite direction of the rolling pattern. This helps the rollers lay flatter and smooths the roots during stretches. I tried using the clips and was terrible at it, I think practice makes perfect. I am a newbie and a lot of people have stated that pins are bad for the hair, so I am willing to attempt a different method. I am going to try magnetic rollers again, I didn't like the way they set my hair the last time. My hair was not very wet and that may have been the issue.

Wayyy back when I was relaxed, rollersetting was only practical in the first four weeks post relaxer, once my coarse 4a/b roots began to really show up, rollersetting would make my relaxed hair smooth, and leave behind rough tough new growth. If I was relaxed I could only do braid outs after a given amount of wks post. Plus I think rollersetting is high manipulation anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
I have used flex-i-rods to set my hair for my 22 week stretch- moisture is the key. I set with glycerin/rosewater and beemine luscious nightly- sealing with ocno/evoo. I then use a banana clip or a large barrette in the morning. I USE MSM/BIOTIN IN MY OIL; i HAVE NOTICED MY HAIR IS STRONGER AND MORE MANAGEABLE- i ALMOST DO NOT WANT TO RELAX:) I HAVE DONE ROLLER SETS IN THE EARLY PART OF MY STRETCH, BUT IT DIDN'T LOOK RIGHT AS i PROGRESSED.

i am not a long stretcher, but my new growth comes in very quickly. roller setting is the only way i can keep it smooth.

Thank you! So do u opt not to use a fine tooth comb at all?
Okay, I am super late with this response:) I detangle with my shower comb in 4 sections. I spray a mix of water and Infusium 23 leave-in on each section as I rollerset. I DO use a fine tooth comb on each section before I put the roller in. I use Infusium 23 and Salerm 21 B5 exclusively to do my rollersets each week. I put on a little bit of coconut oil everyday and at night before I flexirod or pincurl.

/\ Me too, I use my shower comb to detangle gently in the shower while rinsing my DC out, then use a fine tooth comb to do my rollers (always going from ends up of course). That and super wet hair (by liberally spraying with my spray bottle) are the keys to my successful rollersets (and letting it dry! do not take out the rollers before hair is completely dry!).
I rollerset every weekend, right until before my relaxer. I've never experience breakage from rollersetting, if someone has, they should revise their technique or their products IMHO.

Back