Does anyone have breakage/shedding from braidouts?

Ladylynn

So I washed and conditioned my hair last night. I lost one hair during the entire process. I was so... happy. My hair has been doing reallly well lately with breakage. I have been balancing my protein and moisture, plus moisturizing every single night. Anyway, I apply my NTM, then seal it with oil and proceed to do my braidout. I did 5 cornrows with no problem. I probably lost no more than 3 hairs. Another great accomplishment. So today my hair is feeling a little dry, plus it was kinda frizzy because I didn't let it dry all the way last night. I decide to rewet my hair by spraying it with water, remoisturizing, and braid again. This time, I was loss so much hair. Breakage mostly. I don't understand it. I didn't do anything different to get the breakage. I was super gentle with my hair. Has this happened to anyone else before? I'm thinking about trying my braidouts on dry hair, then wetting it to set the style and let it dry. Seven weeks with hardly no breakage just to end up with a nickel size ball. I can't win for losing :mad:

I have had to stop doing braid-outs because my hair would be a frizzy mess, and it led to breakage. I have more succes with doing the "plait method." Its a braidout where you use plaits that hang from your head with rollers attached to the ends. I actually only lost 1 strand when I used this method. HTH

i've had problems with twist outs. it made my hair super tangly and knotted. so i stick to straight styles now.

about the breakage. i have breakage/shedding everyday. i wish i could have a day where only one strand broke :ohwell:

I don't know about the breakage but the knoting and extra hair found in your comb or brush could be from shedding. My hair naturally sheds a decent amount so after 3 days of braidouts/finger combing, I have to use a detangler before shampooing.

Ladylynn said:
So I washed and conditioned my hair last night. I lost one hair during the entire process. I was so... happy. My hair has been doing reallly well lately with breakage. I have been balancing my protein and moisture, plus moisturizing every single night. Anyway, I apply my NTM, then seal it with oil and proceed to do my braidout. I did 5 cornrows with no problem. I probably lost no more than 3 hairs. Another great accomplishment. So today my hair is feeling a little dry, plus it was kinda frizzy because I didn't let it dry all the way last night. I decide to rewet my hair by spraying it with water, remoisturizing, and braid again. This time, I was loss so much hair. Breakage mostly. I don't understand it. I didn't do anything different to get the breakage. I was super gentle with my hair. Has this happened to anyone else before? I'm thinking about trying my braidouts on dry hair, then wetting it to set the style and let it dry. Seven weeks with hardly no breakage just to end up with a nickel size ball. I can't win for losing :mad:

When you rewet your hair did you get breakage from combing it?

I make box braids and do my braidouts on dry hair only, without wetting it. The waves are looser but I like it. I also don't comb my braidouts at all - that can lead to breakage because the hair isn't going in the same direction.

I do get some breakage but I get a lot of growth as well, the only problem I have is that One side grows more than the other.

Isis said:

I make box braids and do my braidouts on dry hair only, without wetting it. The waves are looser but I like it. I also don't comb my braidouts at all - that can lead to breakage because the hair isn't going in the same direction.

I got breakage from combing and from doing the initial cornrow. This is the second time I set. The first time, i didn't get much breakage at all. I'm sure it has to do with braiding the hair up soaking wet. Maybe after the first time I braided my hair, my hair had actually weaken and couldn't take the stress of braiding that way again. I think I'll dry my hair first, the braid it up, then rewet it set and let dry overnight. I'll probably only do this once during a washing period. My hair is so fine and thin anyway, I can't afford to put any extra stress on my hair, especially around relaxer time.

Isis said:

Isis I have tried to set this way, but my hair is not as thick as yours and my braid outs come out looking kinda flat. When I cornrow, it looks really full and uniform.

I love braidouts but I stopped doing them because I had too much breakage and shedding once after I took them out. Now that I look back I think the culprit was: doing cornrows for my braidout. I think my hair didn't like all the manipulation of pulling the hair in and out for the corn row. I would always do it dry and then spritz with water mixed with some oil and wrap it up and loosen in the morning. I think I'm going to give it a go again but this time with individual braids on dry hair with some type of humectant lotion like wave nouveau. We'll see how it turns out!

MsDanele1518 said:
I have had to stop doing braid-outs because my hair would be a frizzy mess, and it led to breakage. I have more succes with doing the "plait method." Its a braidout where you use plaits that hang from your head with rollers attached to the ends. I actually only lost 1 strand when I used this method. HTH

I have breakage, but this is also my first stretch so I think my hair is having a fit right now. :confused:

I do plaits as well on semi dry hair. I used to rebraid them each night, but I noticed this made my hair more tangled. Since I'm taking a swim class (another culprit for the breakage?) and washing my hair 3xs a week, I don't redo the braids at night; I just put my hair back in one big plait and wear a scarf.

I prefer doing individual braids for my braidouts than cornrows...
I seem to get more breakage and shedding with cornrows...
I do all my braidouts on already dried, moisturized hair...I add wave nouveau on my dry hair to make it moist...and my braidouts always comes out nice...
Doing braidouts on wet hair causes way too much damage for me.

Ladylynn said:

Once you do a braid out you should never comb even if you rewet it with a spray bottle. The only way is to do the process all over by either washing or just con washing. When my braid out looks a little fuzzy I add serum. It never looks the same way it does on the first day you do it. You have to start the process all over to get it to look the same.

Lady_Lioness said:
I prefer doing individual braids for my braidouts than cornrows...
I seem to get more breakage and shedding with cornrows...
I do all my braidouts on already dried, moisturized hair...I add wave nouveau on my dry hair to make it moist...and my braidouts always comes out nice...
Doing braidouts on wet hair causes way too much damage for me.

I do like the way my hair looks with a braid out on dried hair, especially since my hair is thinner. And I also prefer individual braids if I'm doing my hair while wet, less breakage because you can comb the tangles out better.

Back