Does anyone get really good retention for One side of their head?

bb09

I pretty much treat my hair the same, but this morning, the left part of my hair was touching my boob, while the right side was an inch past collarbone. It looked ridiculous :lol:, but I finally snipped it off (two inches).

Has anyone overcome (not sure if that's the right word lol) poor retention on one side of their hair?
I can't really post much.. I have exams. I'll read responses though:grin:.

This side I sleep on is the shorter side for me. I guess that side has poor circulation or is manipulated more during sleeping.

Do you feel that the right side may be a different texture, dryness, or whatever than the other side. I suppose try treating the weaker side with more moisture/protein and care as it may just be less resilient than your stronger side.

I know alot of people have issues growing the front of their hair, but that is THE only portion of my hair that consistently retains length.

Do you feel that the right side may be a different texture, dryness, or whatever than the other side. I suppose try treating the weaker side with more moisture/protein and care as it may just be less resilient than your stronger side.

This is me. I have to treat my left side with extra care. I thought it was all in my head until one of my sisters-in-law blow-dried my hair and was like, "Woooow. You're right. They feel REALLY different!" My hair is texlaxed and the left side is much drier and kinkier than the right side. I'm 4z and 4b :lol:. I've just learned to live with it. Recently my left side has started catching up with the right.

My right side is longer than my left side. I've cut my left side about 3-4 times in the past 3 1/2 years and yup it doesn't work or help. It just keeps growing that way and I have no idea why.

I've always had better growth on the left side for as long as I can remember and I'm not going to drive myself insane trying to make it perfectly even. I've accepted it as.. one of my fantastic flaws.

My right side is more porous than my left side. The right side grows faster one season, then the left side catches up and bypass my right side.

This is me. I have to treat my left side with extra care. I thought it was all in my head until one of my sisters-in-law blow-dried my hair and was like, "Woooow. You're right. They feel REALLY different!" My hair is texlaxed and the left side is much drier and kinkier than the right side. I'm 4z and 4b :lol:. I've just learned to live with it. Recently my left side has started catching up with the right.

My right side is longer than my left side. I've cut my left side about 3-4 times in the past 3 1/2 years and yup it doesn't work or help. It just keeps growing that way and I have no idea why.

I could have written both of these posts. :nono: My issue also extends to the nape, but for different reasons. I'm starting to think I have three textures in my head, 4a in the front half, 4b in the back right, and 4c in the back left. [I know 4c supposedly 'doesn't exist', but I really don't know what else to call it.] I usually keep a lot of protein in my reggie, but I'm switching it up to mostly-moisture for the next few weeks as a test to see if I can get that part of my head to behave like the rest. Meanwhile, my nape is so fine that it seems like it needs all the protein it can get. My whole head used to be like that, so I guess it's an improvement but, *sigh* I've had to cut back from APL at least twice in the last year.

The 4b part, though, on the right, is always at least an inch longer, more manageable, etc. I really hope my experiment works. :crossfingers:

Last edited:
Wow, my problem to a tee, until I started using Komaza's products to my hair. I think one side was lacking more moisture. I find also that protective styling assist me with moisturizing my hair because I moisturize each twist. When I did wash and gos daily, I just don't give each section the TLC.

My left side is slightly longer than my right.. Its also slightly thinner but I just attributed it to my stylist trimming me crooked and the fact that I have an angled side bang on the right side (trying to grow it out) also a hair dresser told me that everyone has one side that grows faster than the other so that may be it. Now that I read this thread I'm going to pay more attention to which side I sleep on.

This used to be my problem as well until I stopped relaxing. My lower right side (as an adult) had always flourished while the lower left side suffered. The left was always thin & breaking. Now that my hair has recovered the right side still grows at a faster rate but I'm happy that I'm able to retain growth on my more sensitive side.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF App

This is my problem as well. My left side grows faster than the right. Remember the hair style in the 90's when one side was cut higher than the other? Well my hair just grew like that. I'm not certain how to fix it now. It's in the front that this happens as well as the lower nape in the middle. It has grown a lot which I am grateful for, but it's a bit frustrating when I see other women with full, thick filled in heads of hair. I'll keep working at it and prayerfully it will all come together.

Gurl, don't get me started on this subject :nono:
My right side is longer than my left. I'm currently fighting the urge to cut it....I want to give it some more time to grow to see if the right side will catch up.
It's so weird, my right side is longer, but my left side is thicker :ohwell:.
I'm plan on uping my moisture/protein game for the summer to see if I can get this left side to catch up with my right side in terms of length

Okay my problem isnt right and left mine is top and bottom. The top of my hair has always been so long while the bottom/nape has been shorter. I'm curious to know what length I would be considered if my nape was as long as my crown.

when my hair was relaxed, the right side was longer than the left...i think it was because of the direction i wrapped my hair at night (from left to right).

Yes! I was just looking at my hair and thinking the same thing. I don't notice it much until I put my hair in a ponytail or a messy bun and I see that one side is clearly longer, curls better, and looks fuller.

i have the best retention at the nape. it could be because i wet bun often and the ends frequently stay moist/protected there. the curl pattern is also looser at my nape. the sides are pretty even though.

My hair is weird then b/c the side I sleep on is my longer side (right side) but my left side is my thicker side.

This is me exactly and its very frustrating...

I didn't know so many ppl were experiencing this!

My top (and the part that's relaxed straightest) retains length the best.
The right and left are the same texture. The right side is just less dense, and is shorter (than the left side).

So has anyone gotten their weaker side to retain length better?

yesss, its been annoying me for aages! :@
i thought i was the only one with this problem!
my left side is a good two inches longer than the right.
i think it might be the heat damage on my left side, helps me retain better? idk.

My right side is 2-3 inches longer than the left. I only noticed this the past year and a half. The left side had a period where it broke constantly. I thought I treated both sides the same. I cut three inches off the right side this year and it is still longer.

Yes I do experience this as well I call my front right side of my hair the weak side It seems drier than than the left and I had noticed I was getting some breakage on that side. My left side does get longer for a little while but then the right seems to catch up. I started to pay extra attention to the right side whenever I condition or put in my leave ins I take extra time to make sure all my strands on that side are covered. Also I am extra gentle when I style.

My hair is weird then b/c the side I sleep on is my longer side (right side) but my left side is my thicker side.
^^Wow thats my hair as well I sleep on my left side primarily but my right side is the weak side. So it cant be caused by friction then.. and I wear a satin scarf.

my right side is my good side, my left side grows much slower--idk why...
picture.php
[/IMG]

Back