Does anybody stretch for a loooooog time?

pazyamor

I'm trying to stretch 60 weeks...I'm already 18 weeks in and I think I'm going to get some breakage down the line. Anywhoo, do any other ladies stretch for 20+ weeks? I can use any advice, thanks.

Also: I've stretched for a loooong time before, last year I stretched for about 48 weeks, but I did have some breakage and I had to do a big trim towards the end, and I'm trying to avoid it. Thanks.

Wow, that is incredibly long! :eek:

When I went natural a long time ago, I transitioned for a couple of years and it really wasn't that hard. Just have to be extra careful at the demarcation line.

Now that I am relaxed again I usually go about 20 or so weeks. I'm just really careful with the two textures.

Do you know what caused you to get so much breakage the last time you stretched?

Last edited:
I'm trying to stretch 60 weeks...I'm already 18 weeks in and I think I'm going to get some breakage down the line. Anywhoo, do any other ladies stretch for 20+ weeks? I can use any advice, thanks.

Also: I've stretched for a loooong time before, last year I stretched for about 48 weeks, but I did have some breakage and I had to do a big trim towards the end, and I'm trying to avoid it. Thanks.

Why are you stretching so long?

My advice is to stay on top of your moisture/protein balance. You will need the moisture so that your hair is "flexible" and the protein to reiforce its strength.

Why not consider transitioning?

My advice is to stay on top of your moisture/protein balance. You will need the moisture so that your hair is "flexible" and the protein to reiforce its strength.

Girl, I also second you to consider transitioning. The longest I stretch is four months at a time. Usually when I get that far in my stretch I'm two steps away from deciding to transition to natural.

My longest stretch ever was 8 months, which I just got a retouch this past Wednesday. I normally don't go that long. I use a texturizer and because my hair was never bone straight, I didn't have much if any breakage are the line of demarcation, which is pretty rare, I think. What helped me stretch was keeping my hair moist and only finger combing my two textures. When I would detangle I did it in the shower with conditioner on it and again I would only finger comb through it so I could tell if i was pulling too much. ITA with DenverGirl about staying on top of your moisture/protein balance:yep:.

Im going into my 21st week of my stretch, this is the first time i've gone this long without a relaxer. My goal is 6 months and then I will decide if I will Texlax or continue on into transition :perplexed. I am currently in braids, its been a month and the growth is crazy I look like a frizzy mess :lachen:but Im gonna hold out for another 2 weeks hopefully and then take them down. Im a little scared at whats going on under these braids. I already had about 2 1/2 inches of new growth and currently have another inch since the braids so its a jungle in here. I'm hoping I can handle the 2 textures once I take out these braids and still continue on, but what I found that helped me deal was washing in the shower which I just recently started to do during this stretch, also oddly enough I lose more hair when i air dry verses blow drying, still havennt mastered that air drying thing yet, but over all leaving my hair alone, wearing buns, half wigs and washing once a week, and dcing has helped alot.

Wow, that is incredibly long! :eek:

When I went natural a long time ago, I transitioned for a couple of years and it really wasn't that hard. Just have to be extra careful at the demarcation line.

Now that I am relaxed again I usually go about 20 or so weeks. I'm just really careful with the two textures.

Do you know what caused you to get so much breakage the last time you stretched?

I don't know what caused the breakage last time, i think it was because I was treating the two textures the same and just generally not being gentle enough.

Girl, I also second you to consider transitioning. The longest I stretch is four months at a time. Usually when I get that far in my stretch I'm two steps away from deciding to transition to natural.

I'm actually growing out a blonde dye job (you can see traces of it in my siggy), and I'm not ready to go natural yet; I like to wear my hair straight or pretty straight and going natural but straightening so often would counter-act the point. I'm having a problem staying on top of my moisture/protein balance, I need to work on that.

I stretched for 6 months twice in 2006 and then decided to transition.
Although this may turn out to just be a 1 year stretch if I change my mind and decide to relax.

I'm not doing a BC

I am stretching for 20-24 weeks, but ONLY because I am wearing a full weave and I don't have to deal with it at all.

Wow!! That is pretty long time. I am trying to go for 21 weeks this time. ( I have an occasion on the 22nd week). My longest so far is 16 weeks. Currently, I am on my 9th week.

I hope I can make it as long as you guys one day.

Back