Does anybody know what to do with Porosity Control?

nomadpixi

I know this may sound like a dumb question, but...

I'm probably going to self relax in about 1-2 weeks, and read somewhere on here that using Porosity Control to protect the old growth is a good idea.

How do you do that? Do you leave it on wet and then section your hair and start applying relaxer? Does the fact that your ends are wet affect your relaxer? What does using it do to the hair? What's your secret to using it?

Any tips ladies?

I asked this a few weeks ago and some of the ladies said that they apply it to the dry previously relaxed hair.

Yep, my last trip to Sally's before I relaxed, the lady working there was a licensed cosmetologist and she recommended applying the porosity control conditioner on to my previously relaxed hair, dry. Then, after the relaxer, to do a hot oil treatment applying more porosity control on top of the oil before covering my hair. This was one of my better relaxing experiences. I will definitely continue to do this in the future.:yep:

Interesting, I always thought you used it a few days before or after a relaxer or other chemical treatments.

PC is best applied on previously relaxed hair prior to relaxing as a protectant. No need to wet your hair, just apply to your relaxed hair like you would a really drippy gel. Just be careful not to get it on any of your virgin hair.

You can also use PC after you've rinsed the relaxer out but before you shampoo (5 minutes max) some lye relaxers already have this step, however, any conditioner with at least a 4.5 PH will work. This helps with keeping hair detangled as well as bringing the PH level down.

Then shampoo the hair as you normally would with a relaxer.

I've also use this at the very end as a final rinse with tepid water.

HTH

-A

atlien11 said:
This is good information ladies. Who makes (what brand) porosity control?

This is it. I think the manufacturer is "Roux"

I got a small bottle from Sally's for $1.99 so I could try it before investing in the big bottle. Big bottle's not that much, though. Probably around $5-$6.

Attachments

• 700858a.jpg
    700858a.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 529
I recently bought Porosity Control (roux version) because I just felt i should. :lol:.

I already use Vitale's Revive (positive conditioner) after rinsing out the relaxer and before the neutralizing shampoo.

And I had been using Paul Mitchell the conditioner on previously relaxed hair and the roots (it gave me really soft smooth relaxers).

Now, maybe instead I'll smooth Porosity Control on the previously relaxed hair.

But why do I have to steer clear of roots? Does it actually create a barrier like vaseline or something and prevent the relaxer from working (pm doesn't do this)?

Just what does it do ...scientifically? Just make your hair soft and supple after relaxer? what?

I don't know what's in this but recently I started using as extra conditioning and to help with the porosity of my hair. I think it's helping to decrease my shedding. My hair has been shedding excessively since April. I have been using it for two weeks now after every shampoo and my shedding is now back to normal.

I was already planning to coat my previously relaxed hair the PC, but doing it over a hot oil treatment after relaxing is a great idea. I'm gonna do that too!

Kimberly said:
Yep, my last trip to Sally's before I relaxed, the lady working there was a licensed cosmetologist and she recommended applying the porosity control conditioner on to my previously relaxed hair, dry. Then, after the relaxer, to do a hot oil treatment applying more porosity control on top of the oil before covering my hair. This was one of my better relaxing experiences. I will definitely continue to do this in the future.:yep:

After your relaxed your hair, you gave yourself a hot oil treatment and you said you added the PC on top of the oil before covering your hair. Did you cover your hair with a plastic cap, and how long did you leave it in? Did you do another deep conditioner after that?

Synthia said:
I recently bought Porosity Control (roux version) because I just felt i should. :lol:.

I already use Vitale's Revive (positive conditioner) after rinsing out the relaxer and before the neutralizing shampoo.

And I had been using Paul Mitchell the conditioner on previously relaxed hair and the roots (it gave me really soft smooth relaxers).

Now, maybe instead I'll smooth Porosity Control on the previously relaxed hair.

But why do I have to steer clear of roots? Does it actually create a barrier like vaseline or something and prevent the relaxer from working (pm doesn't do this)?

Just what does it do ...scientifically? Just make your hair soft and supple after relaxer? what?

I think its because its a low PH that it creates a barrier. PC itself is really quite thin compared to some things that I've heard of other ladies using.

I've put PC (accidently) on sections of my hair and will say that those sections didn't relax quite right.

So its not the end of the world because you can always do a corrective, but it can make your hair process unevenly.

I've always used it on previously relaxed hair because oils or grease make my hair hard and tangly.

-A

Roux porosity control did not work for me as a regular conditioner. But during my last relaxer (where i applied it to the ends), I think it worked wonders! My hair has never been this soft... and my hair is usually soft. :)

Has anybody used it in conjunction with color? It says you can use it with any chemical process, and I am going to use a semi-permanent glaze next week, so do you think it would be good to use this a few days before?

Just used a small bottle tonight to see if I liked.
I do :)

I will be purchasing a large bottle from Sally's and start adding to
the relaxing regimen.

Bumping this old thread to see what people use porosity control for. I think it works better than mizani 's honey shield to protect relaxed ends.

Back