Do you wear headbands?

Victorian

old head
So I'm trying to find cute, simple styles for this two-textured nightmare growing on my head. The part of my hair that gives me the most trouble, from a styling standpoint, is the front. I pull it back all the time, but then I've got little curlies sticking up all over the place. I plan on getting some gel soon, but I was thinking that wearing headbands might help too, so I wouldn't feel like I needed a whole bunch of gel all the time (I'm on the front edges challenge). I was thinking that I could then do braidouts/twistouts on rest of my hair and it would be cute
smile.gif

I'm worried about what frequent headband use might do to my hair, though. Will it cause breakage?? Are there headbands that are better than others? I want the stretchy cloth kind. When I was younger I used to have the hard, formed kind and they always gave me headaches
ohwell.gif

33_smiley.gif

I love head bands! I only wear the ones that look like giant ponytail holders though. They are cute, stretchy and won't give you a headache.

Oh yeah and have you ever used pomade to slick the curlies back? I use salon selectives and it works so well.

Ditto on the giant ponytail headbands, I have pics of em in my album. I put a lil mango butter or Let's Jam Gel on my edges and then put on my headband...works every time.

I love headbands! I wear the cloth kind. I also use my knee highs as headbands, too. They're great! I use Fantasia anti-frizz gel to help with the stray hairs. Works like a charm!
smile.gif

I've never used pomade. Is that better than gel? I'm so clueless when it comes to styling products. I'm used to just washing, conditioning, moisturizing, and slapping my hair in a ponytail. I never really used "styling products" except blowdry lotion. So I don't know a thing about gels and pomades.
42_smiley.gif

Yep, I always wear headbands when I wear my hair down. I can only wear the type that go all the way around my head, like the cloth ones. I can't wear those "U" ones.
frown.gif

I use the hard ones or the "U" ones. I would suggest using pomades and moisturizers on your edges for sure. But I would also suggest not wearing them every day (I'm not sure about the cloth ones). I used to do this and it stunted the growth of my hair in the front. After not doing this for a long while, I noticed a lot more growth. I love them, I would just caution to use them in moderation is all.
smile.gif

The stretchy cloth kind are my lifesaver when I don't have time to flatten my hair in the front. Makes the hair do look neat even when it might not be.
look.gif

Yeah I dont wear the headands that are cotton because they seem to soak up the moisture from my hair and dry it out. I like to wear the u ones but I usually break them...lol.
I like to wear long thin scarves either around my waist as a belt or in my hair as a headband too.

Colorful silk or satin scarfs make very cute and playful headbands that you can coordinate w/outfits
smile.gif
You can also play around w/ the thickness of them.

I also wear the hard "U" headbands from time to time, but sometimes they do start to cause pain behind my ears...aren't they supposed to be one size fits all?
look.gif
laugh.gif

Yes to ouchless headbands
up.gif
and silk/satin scarves
up.gif

Also try some Kemi Shea Butter Pomade it will slick down your hair as well as nourish it, perfect for the hairline challenge
up.gif
up.gif

[ QUOTE ]
OshunCurls said:
Colorful silk or satin scarfs make very cute and playful headbands that you can coordinate w/outfits
smile.gif
You can also play around w/ the thickness of them.

I also wear the hard "U" headbands from time to time, but sometimes they do start to cause pain behind my ears...aren't they supposed to be one size fits all?
look.gif
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]i get that pain too!! i miss my U headbands....since ive gone natural, they just dont stay on my head! my hair pops them right off....i only use them as decoration now, when i wear a big puff...it LOOKS like the headband is doing the work, but its not
laugh.gif

~T~

[ QUOTE ]
ReaLuvsAOxymoron said:
Is that little head nod smiley orange or am I seeing things?

[/ QUOTE ]
46_smiley.gif

Yeah, see I was wondering about what material would be best. I was wondering if cotton would just soak up whatever moisture I had just put in. Also I was concerned about friction with the cotton ones--for the same reason our hair bonnets, etc. are satin or silk instead of cotton. I might look to see if I can find headbands in different fabrics--hopefully they won't charge an arm and a leg
ohwell.gif

I have a couple scarves that I've tied around my head before and it was cute, but I have a hard time finding other colors that are the right size (usually the scarves I see are too big or too bulky to use as headbands).

you might check out fabric stores and buy the scraps left at the end of the rolls....so much variety, and you can get silk, satin or that cool stretchy stuff....my aunt does that...plus, this way you can cut it to whatever size you like...
~T~

I wear them when the bad hair is on it's way. LOL. I wear the half kind that can be put on in the front. The ones that go all the way around the head don't look cute to me.

[ QUOTE ]
Shatani said:
you might check out fabric stores and buy the scraps left at the end of the rolls....so much variety, and you can get silk, satin or that cool stretchy stuff....my aunt does that...plus, this way you can cut it to whatever size you like...
~T~

[/ QUOTE ]

*smacks forehead* Of course! Thanks, Shatani, that's a great idea. It'll be inexpensive too
smile.gif

I did see these satin headbands at hairboutique. I'll have more variety and will probably spend less money if I make my own though
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Shatani said:
~T~

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I do...most fabric stores in my area will cut a minimum of fours inches and that's all I need. I don't think I have any "homemade" ones that cost over 40 cents.

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Go for the headbands and pomade. Make sure the pomade you get does not contain mineral oil.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]hmmmm....two things...why is mineral oil bad, exactly....and can you toss out some names of brands that dont have it??
~T~

I wear headbands sometimes, I use nylon pantyhose or a silk scarf. You can get some beautiful vintage scarves for cheap at any secondhand store.

I always wear head bands- the cloth ones. I am one of the ones those darn hard ones hurt!
I usually wear them with my hair in a pony tail or bun, but sometimes I just wash my hair put whatever I feel like in for the "after care" slip the head band on and let it dry into a softer version of a giant puff.

[ QUOTE ]
Shatani said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Go for the headbands and pomade. Make sure the pomade you get does not contain mineral oil.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]hmmmm....two things...why is mineral oil bad, exactly....and can you toss out some names of brands that dont have it??
~T~

[/ QUOTE ]

Mineral oil attracts dirt and it can clog your scalps pores.
smile.gif

Kemi Oyl Shea Butter Pomade doesn't have it and it's EXCELLENT!

Back