Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Yes, rarely

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • No, never

Votes: 43 59.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChristmasCarol

Do you use hair spray (for hold)? I never see it mentioned around the board.

If so, how often? Please also tell me which kind and why!
If not, why? TIA

Reason I ask:

I went out with DH the other night with curled hair and came home with very loosely curled hair. I used several layers of L'Oreal Elnett Extra Strong Hold, but it didn't work :sad: Only the ends held a little of the curl:

picture.php

Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I should do before I curl it?

Last edited:
I haven't since middle school to make those "fan" ponytails on my relaxed hair.

Sticky, perfume-y, and broken off hair. Ahhh, the good ol' days.

I haven't since middle school to make those "fan" ponytails on my relaxed hair.

Sticky, perfume-y, and broken off hair. Ahhh, the good ol' days.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

NappyNelle

Back in the 80s-90s, I used hairspray BEFORE and AFTER I curled it! That's how I got it to "stand up" (refer to siggy, lol) in front. It didn't seem to do much damage, but I know that's bad, so I won't even try it anymore. :nono:

I do use hair spray on all my sets or they will drop and frizz. I remove my Curlformers or pillow soft rollers and spray immediately then put a invisible net on to keep it then when I am ready to go out I remove the net and finger it out. It holds for the week :)

My Friend

Thank you, it's early 70's. I buy and wear the clothes I remember from my childhood. Good quality current fashions are either too expensive or too boring for my tastes. I stick to vintage - whenever possible.

I do use hair spray on all my sets or they will drop and frizz. I remove my Curlformers or pillow soft rollers and spray immediately then put a invisible net on to keep it then when I am ready to go out I remove the net and finger it out. It holds for the week :)

JJamiah

Thanks for responding! Are you using the pillow rollers AFTER you've roller set or do you use them to curl flatironed hair?

A WEEK??? I'm trying to get my curls to hold for a NIGHT and here you are talking about a week :lol:

I used to use hair spray back in middle & high school. It would be okay for a few months but in the end breakage was inevitable.

If I roller set now days, I use lotta body (I think from Revlon) and it sets the curls nicely, without damaging the hair.

I use Vonte ( VonteProducts.com) Firm Control or their Silk Control hair spray. Try after culing your hair ..taking a pin curl clip... pin it and let your curls set and cool. Curls should last Longer.

I used some hairspray once last week for the first time in a LONG time. I was tired of my hair looking like a different head when I got back home too. It got me and extra 10 minutes of curl. :ohwell: I was probably too scared to use enough to really hold it. It went back into the archives.

I use Vonte ( VonteProducts.com) Firm Control or their Silk Control hair spray. Try after culing your hair ..taking a pin curl clip... pin it and let your curls set and cool. Curls should last Longer.

SeeLexus

Excellent idea! I will certainly try this next time.

Can you give me a review/testimonial on the Vonte Hair Spray? How is it different from other brands you've used?

BTW: All the retro styles in your album are FANTABULOUS!!!

I used some hairspray once last week for the first time in a LONG time. I was tired of my hair looking like a different head when I got back home too. It got me and extra 10 minutes of curl. :ohwell: I was probably too scared to use enough to really hold it. It went back into the archives.

Yep, that's it in a nutshell.
I used a whoooooooole lotta spray - still didn't work. :ohwell:

@SeeLexus

Excellent idea! I will certainly try this next time.

Can you give me a review/testimonial on the Vonte Hair Spray? How is it different from other brands you've used?

BTW: All the retro styles in your album are FANTABULOUS!!!

Thank you!!! Yes, I like these hair sprays because they don't leave any residu or flake your hair. Also only 1 quick pump of the spray does the trick on each curl..it is not a aerosol hair spray but if you prefer that kind..i recommend Sebastian shaper plus. That is what i use for my victory rolls, you can use it on fly aways and that also does not leave any residu or flakes in your hair.

HOPE THAT HELPS : )

@JJamiah

Thanks for responding! Are you using the pillow rollers AFTER you've roller set or do you use them to curl flatironed hair?

A WEEK??? I'm trying to get my curls to hold for a NIGHT and here you are talking about a week :lol:

I use the pillow soft rollers after I flat Iron my hair. I just removed my curlformers and sprayed it lightly with spray. I will put it up into a french net so it can further set without the curlformers for the evening, in the morning they bounce right back.

I don't no more for some time now but use to use the olive oil sheen but then I became alcohol conscience so I stopped using it

I use Paul Mitchell sparingly when my hair is straight and I want it to behave. I'll grab a butter or oil first.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

@BostonMaria

Do you put butter/oil on your curls?

Yes but only in the spring and summer. For some reason it doesn't work as well in the cold months. I add avocado butter to my curls and usually don't have to use a gel.

ETA: I think you're asking me about my straight hair, not when its curly. I put butter and/or oil on my straight hair (similar to the picture on your first post) to make my hair look shiny and to seal in moisture. My hair will stay put if I don't touch it too much or mess with it. Its usually the humidity that ruins my hair and no hair spray or buttah in the world can help me with that :nono::grin:.

Last edited:
NO !!!!!!!! I dont use it !!!!!
If I want my curls to hold I use a setting lotion on my hair instead.
WHEN I PUT HAIRSPRAY IN MY HAIR IT PROTEST, THEN SNAPS IN HALF

NO !!!!!!!! I dont use it !!!!!
If I want my curls to hold I use a setting lotion on my hair instead.
WHEN I PUT HAIRSPRAY IN MY HAIR IT PROTEST, THEN SNAPS IN HALF

:lachen: :lachen:
That's not really funny, but it is.

How do you use setting lotion when you aren't rollersetting your hair? Or do you only rollerset for curls?
carletta

@BostonMaria

Yeah, I was referring to straightened and curled hair - sorry 'bout that. So you don't have a problem with curls staying for a whole day?

No I don't. When I'm ready to go to bed I put my hair in a bun. In the morning I leave my hair down and somehow I get curls at the ends of my hair. Its like magic LOL j/k Not sure how or why they stay.

I only use it on my bangs when I'm going out and there might be pictures taken (they stop just above my eyelids). Then I fell super guilty when I get home and DC immediately. I use the ellnet.

:lachen: :lachen:
That's not really funny, but it is.

How do you use setting lotion when you aren't rollersetting your hair? Or do you only rollerset for curls?
carletta

LOL :lachen: YEA IT IS :lachen:, MY HAIR TURNS, LOOKS AT ME LIKE :whyme: , GIVE ME A :down: AND MARCHES RIGHT OFF THE SET !!!!!!!

HAIRSPRAY IS A BIG OLE :spank: NNNNOOOO, NO !!!!!!!

i like Mizani's hairspray. it is a very light hold, but does the job. i use it rarely.
I use Mizani also, but very very sparinly. Actually I bought it because it doesn't have any drying alcohols in it - otherwise, I would have never bought or used it. The one I have is called 'Shyne'.

Back