Do you think your hair grows faster in braids?

Does your hair grow faster while in braids?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tatambabyy

Does your hair grow faster in braids/sow-ins/kinky twists, whatever the case may be? Or do you think it just retains length? Do you get the same amouth of growth whether in braids or not?

Because I'm not combing my hair or frying it with heat while i'm in braids, it's easier to see all the growth that I have. It isn't growing faster, I'm just keeping more on my head. :lol:

I voted no, because growth is growth regardless, but aiding in RETENTION, to me, is what braids accomplish. Helps me keep what I grow.

I voted no, because I think I retain length a lot better in braids, but I don't think it grows faster in braids.

I agree with everyone else that it really just aides in the retaining of length, and your hair grows at the same rate, however the slight tugging of the braids/sew-in/etc. may help the hair to come out of the scalp to some extent. LOL, I dunno, it's a possibility. Just throwing things out there. Sometimes it feels that way though.

I voted yes. Before wearing braids my hair would grow 0.25 a month and after takin out my crown and glory braids i had an average of 1 inch growth after a month. I think it's the technique and the african pride spray that helps to get the hair growing to its full potential.

ditto the ladies..I voted no b/c its the lack of manipulation/elements our hair is exposed to that helps to retain the growth not that its growing faster...I also know for me, I watch my hair too much. so I am thinking about going back in the braids to just hide my hair from myself...someone's siggy resonates with me.."a watch pot never boils". :)

I voted no, because growth is growth regardless, but aiding in RETENTION, to me, is what braids accomplish. Helps me keep what I grow.

LOVE THE COLOR IN YOUR SIGGY AND GOOD GROWTH:grin:

I AGREE I AM BRAIDING TOMORROW THE WINTER IS MT TIME FOR A HAIR BREAK

I am able to see the growth without all of the already relaxed ends, and that surprises me most of the time. But overall I just retain better.....

I voted no,

Now that i know how to care for my braids properly, braids just keep my hair protected so i retain more when i come out of them.

On the flipside i am using Mega tek and the protein element is strengthening new growth and helping me retain more.

I swear by braids so I voted yes. I've always noticed a dramatic difference, but it is possible that it is due to less manipulation.

i voted yes but I am really voting fo retention, not growth. The growth is the same, however, braids are better for retention.

Last edited:
LOVE THE COLOR IN YOUR SIGGY AND GOOD GROWTH:grin:

I AGREE I AM BRAIDING TOMORROW THE WINTER IS MT TIME FOR A HAIR BREAK

Thanks! I will be re-braiding in two weeks. I plan to keep braiding at least until June, hoping I will have enough length to start bunning or doing braidouts.

I believe that my hair retains length while in braids since there is little or no manipulation during that time.

We know that retainment of length is great...but I've heard the elders (Ethiopians) say that braids cause it to grow faster. Maybe it's the slight tension?

^^^The tension makes it WORSE, imo.

You arent supposed to have tight braids. Hence why some people strive on them and others suffer major setbacks.

They help you retain length due to no manipulation. Thats 2-3 months of not having to comb your hair and suffer from overshedding.

You're gonna shed of course, cause its always scary to see the detangling process when taking out braids but if done right, it should always be a gain.

Have not noticed that, but I have noticed that it seems like some places on my head grow faster than other places. Not sure if that is the case or if it is just because the textures are so different.

Man this drives me nuts!!!!!!

Back