Do you think there is a really difference?

Bumping to ask whether you all think that natural hair has been portrayed freqently enough in the media now to make it generally more acceptable. Do you think so?

Notice how that conversation was between you and another black female. The people who hold the majority of decision making positions in conservative law firms are white. If you have the same conversation with them they probably won't even know what you're talking about. Unless the hairstyle is extreme or attention getting, they really will not notice if your texture is kinky or straight.

I agree. Unless you hair stands out, white people aren't going to notice the difference. They aren't wrapped up in black culture enough to know the difference between relaxed, straight, braids, etc. From my experience, it seems like the only thing people notice is whether you look nice and presentable or not...but they don't have predetermined value judgements about what hair texture is professional and which is not. Though they could have this culturally predetermined preference for long and straight.

Btw, all the black law professors/attorneys I've seen at my school either have locs or are natural.

Bumping to ask whether you all think that natural hair has been portrayed freqently enough in the media now to make it generally more acceptable. Do you think so?

I agree. Unless you hair stands out, white people aren't going to notice the difference. They aren't wrapped up in black culture enough to know the difference between relaxed, straight, braids, etc. From my experience, it seems like the only thing people notice is whether you look nice and presentable or not...but they don't have predetermined value judgements about what hair texture is professional and which is not. Though they could have this culturally predetermined preference for long and straight.

Btw, all the black law professors/attorneys I've seen at my school either have locs or are natural.

The freedom to make that decision could be why they are at the school instead of at large corporate firm.

There are still a few top-of-the-line law firms that won't cross the legal line by saying a person can't wear an afro, or braids, or locs, but there will be subtle repercussions if the style is worn. A summer associate who is wearing the style might not be offered a permanent position. An associate (permanent) who is wearing the style may be called upon less than other associates to attend client meetings or to represent the firm at other events.

The situation is comparable to what used to happen when women attorneys wore slacks to the office. There were partners who would insist that they change into a skirt prior to meeting clients because "that is not acceptable attire". It may sound ridiculous or archaic but if you wanted to play ball in their ballpark you changed clothes. The same thing applies with hair styles. What the partner perceives as appropriate will need to be the starting attorney's reality.

I don't know how to answer this. #1. I am relaxed. #2. I always wear my hair straight for interviews.

IN MY OPINION, as long as the hair is NEATLY STYLED, it does not detract from professionalism.

Heck, a FEW OF MY COWORKERS (I consult for a college) wear DREADLOCKS....however, those dreadlocks are neat and well groomed. There is a difference between bob marely's dreadlocks (less well groomed) and alice walkers, and theirs tend to fall on the alice walker side of the dichotomy.

I also have a few natural coworkers. If presenting at a professional conference, these women tend to cornrow their hair, or wear it in a neat, natural bun. However, when teaching, just doing run of the mill stuff, I have DEFINITELY seen them rocking a w/ and go...and one has 4a/b hair, and she wears her hair in a cute puff on the daily.

AS LONG AS IT'S PROFESSIONAL, HAVE AT IT I SAY! :)

The freedom to make that decision could be why they are at the school instead of at large corporate firm.

There are still a few top-of-the-line law firms that won't cross the legal line by saying a person can't wear an afro, or braids, or locs, but there will be subtle repercussions if the style is worn. A summer associate who is wearing the style might not be offered a permanent position. An associate (permanent) who is wearing the style may be called upon less than other associates to attend client meetings or to represent the firm at other events.

The situation is comparable to what used to happen when women attorneys wore slacks to the office. There were partners who would insist that they change into a skirt prior to meeting clients because "that is not acceptable attire". It may sound ridiculous or archaic but if you wanted to play ball in their ballpark you changed clothes. The same thing applies with hair styles. What the partner perceives as appropriate will need to be the starting attorney's reality.

RE: the above post, I've never worked in law, and you know what you are talking about! I defer to your judgment!

Hair is not the only concern. I am an attorney and I still recall each & every time that I was thought to be the secretary or paralegal at meetings.....and even once the IT person at a CLE class that I was helping to teach. It was not because of my hair, which had been weaved to BSL at the time, but because I am a Black woman. When going through on campus interviewing, I purposely took out my braids and had my hair straightened.

I have to admit though that I steered clear of certain styles due to the work place perception. I am not with that firm any longer so I do much more with my hair now. I did a braid out a few weeks ago and everyone at the office came up to me to say they like my new hair cut. lol lol lol

^^^^^ITA.

As Scholars and professionals, Black women will always have to deal with these issues.

I have been natural for 10 years...and I have had challenges that run the gammut of corporate american, good old fashioned racism....

"Can I touch your hair?" "your hair is always different", "can you wash your hair", yada yada....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have found that you ARE NOT invisible with straight hair. You are STILL a Black Woman. Michelle Obama is proof of that.... ( Nasty things said during the campaign)

Hair - unfortunately - is still political....but I think in larger terms, I believe that as much as we fight to be ourselves, we have to think about how we wear our hair - no matter what....

I think I have come to some mental toughness. I am a grad student now...and I have no qualms about how I wear my hair, but I will be around most of these people for the rest of my career. Hopefully, they have seen past the hair.

I am confident NOW...But that confidence took time.

WOW. this thread is no JOKE!
Hair has been an issue since we got here in 1619.......

Sisters..... The European standard of beauty is still the standard of beauty in industries like medicine and law.....But confidence and our empowerment is just as powerful!

I just want to say I am proud of all of the INCREDIBLY Brilliant women here!!!!
:kiss:

buns, braids, locks, twist, in a conservative manner. Something that can be put up would be nice as well. I know she is not military, but if she looked up the military regulations on female hair (which are conservative) i think those would be fine for her profession.

I have found that you ARE NOT invisible with straight hair. You are STILL a Black Woman.

Definitely agree.

I also agree with it being not about relaxed or natural, but looking pulled together and somewhat conservative in style. As a recruiter, I have sat across from other women with:

-teased high hair and I am thinking:ohwell:
-super long hair let loose across the shoulders..and I am thinking:ohwell:

These styles are not more acceptable to me simply because the hair itself is straight, its about presenting your hair in an attractive, yet conservative way, so that you are the focus. That can indeed be done as relaxed or as natural.

I don't know about any one profession but it is sad but true but alot of people still see natural hair as unprofessional. The reality is that you will be miserable working for a company that judges you based on your hair and not based on your resume and hard work. Those will be the same companies that tend to promote white people over blacks or the same companies that have glass ceilings for blacks as well.

I work with the BIG BOYS of science and medicine(researchers, MD's, professors and upper administration including the president, provost and EVP of a major university which is also a popular hospital). My immediate boss is from England and always encourages me to wear my hair out and I mean OUT. She loves it. But these other people around here, please. Diversity is a BIG deal here so nothing can really be said unless it's dirty. I still tend to choose more neater styles at work(buns, flat twists and puffs). I wore my twist out which she LOVED but I bet those "suits" walking around up here were probably like, hmmmmm. I think most of them want to take a dip in the chocolate anyway:lick:...but I digress. I think I will start to be more flambouyant as time goes on. It's the suits who are stuffy, the professors and MD's are really cool and are into a person being themselves. We have black women docs, professors and administrators around here that are natural and they let it fly. The thing is, their hair is clean and out of the way. Nothing hanging in the eyes or in the face. I agree that having long straight unkempt hair is just as unacceptable as having unkempt 4b hair...but I agree with thing about just being a black woman being a challenge in and of itself.

Last edited:
Back