Do you Still Use A Blow Dryer?

bajanplums1

I trying to figure out how detrimental it is not to airdry. Blow drying leaves my hair so smooth. Airdrying gets it soft and fluffy, but not smooth. So I am wondering . . .

1. Do you blow dry your hair?
2. How often?
3. How has it affected your growth, if at all.

bajanplums1 said:
I trying to figure out how detrimental it is not to airdry. Blow drying leaves my hair so smooth. Airdrying gets it soft and fluffy, but not smooth. So I am wondering . . .

2. How often?

Yea I used to use a blowdyer. I was in looooove with it. It made my hair bouncy and so fluffy! A lot of ladies here are against them and I couldn't figure out why.

Girl I am 99.9% sure that eventually it will thin your hair out (if used too much) and stunt your growth, especially if you are using a comb attacthment. My hair stayed the SAME length for about 5 mos! From January-April I had NO growth (you can check my fotki if you want proof). So one month I decided to see what was the culprit. I quit direct heat for a month and gained an whole inch (from April to May). Now looking back on it, I probably could have been at BSL by now.

Girl save that BD for a special occasion. I haven't used mines since May to check my progress and every minute I was using it I was squirming in shame. I want to give it to my sis or throw it away but i can't do it right now. I may keep it for special occasions (ONCE A YEAR).

I only wish that I would have listened to the LHCF ladies...

I'm with Mizani...fried ends come to mind when I think of a blow dryer. When I would get my hair done at a Dominican salon and saw all that smoke coming from the blow dryer, man listen!! :eek: I have one at home, but I use it on a very low setting and only for a couple of minutes, and even then it's only a few times a year.

I blowdry my hair 2x per week. Actually I think it's helped with my hair growth and keeping breakage at bay. I'll explain. When I used to airdry I had much more breakage and problems with tangling. It seemed like the underside of my hair was getting a lot of splits. I started blowing my hair dry again, using a comb attachment but it's an IONIC blowdrier which makes all the difference in the world. I don't blowdry on hot heat or for an extended period of time. I only dry on the cool setting or the warm setting and LORD knows this thick mess isn't thinning out AT ALL :lol: My ends are in much better condition and my hair overall has 99% less tangles and breakage. I think blowdrying can be used responsibly and not be damaging to your hair.
Oh, BTW, my hair is 2.5 inches from waist. So it hasn't stunted my growth in the least.

bajanplums1 said:

2. How often?

i use them every 2-3 months, and have used it succesfully every 3 weeks the most.

my hair comes out great, i use the comb attachment. doesn't affect my growth maybe cuz i dont use it often. the blowdryer isn't that bad HONEST, its how its used...plus the flat iron is much much MUCCCCCCCCH worse in my eyes. i haven't used one for about a year and my hairs 100% better

Last edited:
I use mine on the cool setting. I had to get used to that though. It seems to take forever for it to dry my hair.

I just had to throw out the comb attachment. I was making so much progress and then all of the sudden my hair started breaking and my ends were thinning. The only thing that changed was the addition of the comb attachment to my regimen.

Out of total fear I stopped using the blow dryer all together and my hair thanked me for it.

I started using it again because my dome dryer gets WAY hotter than my ionic dryer on low. I think my dome dryer was just way too much heat for my hair.

I never manipulate my hair while I use the BD and I don't get close to my hair.

Again, I had to get used to that but my hair is softer this way vs. air drying.

In the long run it has lead to less manipulation for daily styling.

Last edited:
i blowdry after every wash (once a week).... I tried airdrying but I get sooo much tangles and breakage, even if i flatiron. but after i blowdry, during the week, i get very little breakage... If i ever decide to wear ponytails/updos then i'll airdry but i like to wear my hair down daily...

DOES THIS HAPPEN WITH A FLAT IRON ALSO??? I AM THINKING OF FLAT IRONING ONCE A WEEK UNTIL AUGUST. OR GETTING DOMINICAN BLOWOUTS (BUT ON MY ROOTS ONLY). WILL THIS MESS UP MY GROWTH AND MY HAIR???

I love my ionic blow dryer from CHI... it doesnt seem so harsh on my hair... I use a shower comb well just blowing the hair... I pklan to do this in future... I have been known to blow dry from the roots when wet to get silky smooth and str8...

The latter way gave me more bounce to the ounce... LOL... but it wasnt as smooth...+ the roots didnt get st8 AT ALL, but that was solved once pt moisture in... and tied down...

bajanplums1 said:

2. How often?

No, I threw my blowdryer away 3 years ago and my hair's health and growth accelerated ever since. Blowdryers will thin out the hair and cause breakage.

Yes. I use an ionic one. It doesn't fry my hair like a the regular kind. I use it 2-4 times a month depending on my mood. I don't use a comb--I just stretch my hair out and run the dryer over the length until I get my hair semi straight--not bone straight. Then I follow up with my T3 flat iron. I plan to purchase a T3 blowdryer soon.

My hair has not thinned out since I've switched over to ionic appliances. But I do not doubt that if I don't take breaks from heat styling every once in a while my won't be affected. I'ono...:perplexed I wear my hair natural more often than straight. Plus, I at least deep condition w/ MTG,WGO & MnT like 2 days out of the week before heat styling.

I haven't used my blowdryer in months!!!! Now i just have to keep the chi iron locked away and ill be good to go!!!!!!

bajanplums1 said:

2. How often?

1.Yes I blow dry my hair
2. Three times a month
3. Been blowdrying for years and years. Hasn't affected growth much

I used to blowdry but with trying to eliminate heat, I just airdry and try to get my hair smooth as possible that way before flatironing. When relaxed, I blowdried twice a month only after my hair was 90-95% dry.

I used mine twice this week (well, in the past 7 days, not this actual week.), but I didn't use it for the past few months, so I guess on average, I use the blow dryer every 3-4 months.

I don't use the blowdryer at all, I either airdry or use a hooded or bonnet dryer. I have a friend with really fine hair who blowdries and curls her hair with a curling iron every week. It looks nice, sometimes it looks a bit thin, but it doesn't get any longer (she's right at shoulder length). She thinks her hair just won't get any longer than SL.

I think that it depends on your hair. My friend and I can't use BDs and expect our hair to be healthy (well she does, but that's beside the point...) However, I have another friend who blowdries and curls every week and she has the thickest, healthiest hair I've ever seen.

I stopped using the blow dryer in about June of 2005 and I noticed a big difference in the length of my hair. I got lazy one day and decided to blow dry my hair a few months ago and I have been doing it ever since. I figured it would not be that bad if I finger combed it while holding the blow dryer a good distance from my head. Well, this morning I was combing my hair and I looked in the mirror, I mean REALLY looked at my hair and it does not look the same to me. It looks as if it has broken in a few places and the ends are raggedy shmaggedy! It was not all that thick to begin with, just a happy medium. Now it feels thin and I am not happy. I don't think I will be using the blow dryer anymore! I guess its back to roller sets and hours under the dryer :ohwell:

I stopped using a blowdryer to dry my hair last year. Blow drying left my hair dry and brittle. I did recently use a blowdryer to straighten my roots when I tried to do my own Dominican blowout. My results were about the same as when I straighten my roots with my ceramic.

YES

2. How often?
2X a MONTH

I don't know yet, I just started doing this. I get a lot of breakage with non- straight styles, so sometimes it does not help me to air dry. So right now I wear my hair straight for 1 week and the opposite week I wear it curly with no heat and lots of moisture. And I usually have to wash twice in the second week so that my hair does not tangle.

I blow dry my hair almost every day with the Remington Tourmaline Ionic blow dryer. I love it! My hair comes out sooo soft. Air drying does not work for my hair. I always have tons of shedding and breakage when I air dry.

I think the key is using the right blow dryer. My blow dryer uses very low heat. My hair is very healthy and it always has a beautiful sheen to it after blow drying. This particular dryer makes it so that I don't have to flat iron it afterwards.

I usually steam roller my hair with the Caruso afterwards and my hair comes out beautifully.

carpediem628 said:
I blow dry my hair almost every day with the Remington Tourmaline Ionic blow dryer. I love it! My hair comes out sooo soft. Air drying does not work for my hair. I always have tons of shedding and breakage when I air dry.

I think the key is using the right blow dryer. My blow dryer uses very low heat. My hair is very healthy and it always has a beautiful sheen to it after blow drying. This particular dryer makes it so that I don't have to flat iron it afterwards.

I usually steam roller my hair with the Caruso afterwards and my hair comes out beautifully.

I glad you posted about this dryer. I saw this in BED Bath and Beyond. I have been wanting a ceramic ionic dryer to replace my old dryer, but I did not want to spend the money on a CHI or T3. I can't remember, does this dryer come with a comb attachment? or do you use a brush, while drying?

sylver2 said:
1.Yes I blow dry my hair
2. Three times a month
3. Been blowdrying for years and years. Hasn't affected growth much

I've been blow drying for years and never experienced any breakage until I highlighted my hair. I haven't been able to successfully air dry (leaves my hair hard, brittle and matted). I wish I could do what some of the other ladies do, but for some reason, my hair only acts right when it has been blow dried.

thanks all!!

I appreciate the responds. I am on a heat free regimen now. It's either rollerset under the hair dryer or I airdry and then do a rollerset on the airdried hair with leave ins.

airdrying doesn't work for me either. i use my blowdryer once a week or once every two weeks. no damaging effects thus far and i'm just about midback(maybe an inch away.

HoneyDew said:
I use mine on the cool setting. I had to get used to that though. It seems to take forever for it to dry my hair.

I blowdry usually once a week and also use the cool setting. It does take a long time but I think its worth it cuz air drying doesnt work for me :ohwell:
I also havent seen any noticeable signs of damaging because of this.

I started experimenting with airdrying 4/19 because I admired Isis's hair. I didn't believe it at first - but my bun is now the size of my fingers touching on both hands:eek: My strands have definitely fattened up. I airdry using Salerm 21, Loreal Mermade, or Mane and Tail.

If I'm in a hurry I'll use my fan:lol:

Back