• Yes but I do not fit into any of the categories above

Votes: 14 7.9%
  • No but I do not fit into any of the categories above

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Charz

Sinister Minister
How many of yall use shampoo and how often? (CONDITIONER WASHES DO NOT COUNT)

What kind of shampoo do you use and what is your hair type? Are you relaxed or natural?

I have not used shampoo since I got my hair dyed two weeks ago, and my hair has felt the best ever!

I wanna know your thoughts, I may have to kick the Poo to the curb!!

Last edited:
I shampoo my hair once a week with Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle shampoo. My hair doesn't get dried out with it. I have coily hair that would be recognized as 4A. I tried to go without shampoo and it was not a good look for me. My hair never would get clean with conditioner; it itched and would build up like crazy.

Yes shampooing is not actually necessary, I tried just using conditioner for weeks and my hair still felt clean afterwards,:yep: I mean humans didnt even start out with shampoo, we just invented it one day

Yes i use shampoo. But i use chargrin valley shampoo bars. I like them my hair feels better after i wash than when i used the regular liquid shampoo. I shampoo once a week my hair is natural and 4a I believe. Some people don't shampoo they find that their hair is better without out.

i use nexxus therappe luxurious moisturizing shampoo. i picked up a travel size bottle to test out, and i really love it. soooooooooo not stripping at all. and a little goes a long way with creating a foamy lather. i actually detangle my hair when it's in, it's that slippy.

i recently purchased the ors creamy aloe shampoo for it's clarifying/chelating effects. i've used it once...hair felt a bit stripped, but i was trying to clarify wasn't i :perplexed haha

I use actual shampoo 1x a week, and usually cowash another day.

I use TJs Nourishspa right now, and 9 months post/3-4 something transitioning to natural.

My scalp gets funky frequently, and I feel like I need to have some suds to really get it clean. My hair is dry no matter what I do, and I used to only cowash, and haven't really noticed a difference since using shampoo again.

I do. Twice a week without fail.

What kind of shampoo do you use and what is your hair type? Are you relaxed or natural?

Any shampoo that says it's for dry hair, whether it has sulfates or not. I am natural 4B.

I have not used shampoo since I got my hair dyed two weeks ago, and my hair has felt the best ever!

I couldn't imagine myself not have a shampoo-cleaned scalp every 3 days. I think I'd have the grossest head ever. :barf: I love the product-free feeling I get after I shampoo. I do have an aversion to things being on my scalp, so I don't even care for creamy shampoos that feel like they coat hair, being on my scalp. I only use those on my hair after a protein treatment, but otherwise, I'd rather only use gel-like shampoos.

Last edited:
I shampoo once a week. I use Cream of Nature green label twice a month and the other weeks I use Organix Coconut Shampoo. I am 4a, transitioning. I used to shampoo only once a month and co-wash every week and my hair was fine. But I need to use up that CON and I've started doing protein treatments bi-monthly so I need a real shampoo bi-monthly.

Last edited:
I am a 3c/4a mix and I shampoo about once per week.
I use that Shea Moisture Retention Shampoo. No sulfates but it does lather. It leaves my hair very conditioned.

:wave: OP,

I am relaxed/texlaxed and my regular shampoo is a shikakai bar. When I want to chelate and clarify I use Redken Cleansing Cream. I may co-wash mid week, or in place of regular shampoo sometimes, but I don't see shampoo ever leaving my regimen officially...

One of my staples is cone laden and I have fine, easily weighed down hair.

:wave: OP,

I am relaxed/texlaxed and my regular shampoo is a shikakai bar. When I want to chelate and clarify I use Redken Cleansing Cream. I may co-wash mid week, or in place of regular shampoo sometimes, but I don't see shampoo ever leaving my regimen officially...

One of my staples is cone laden and I have fine, easily weighed down hair.

One of my staples. :yep:

I can't tell if this survey is just for ppl with relaxed hair - or looking for natural input as well. Anyhoo if you're looking for responses from naturals - yes I do use shampoo usually once or twice/week.

I am natural, 3c/4a, shoulder length. I used to use a non sulfate shampoo once a week when I used coconut and olive oil to DC, seal, moisturize.
Now that I am using butters I feel like sometimes I need to wash twice a week. If I don't shampoo my products (all natural) stop working and I get an oily scalp, more shedding and dry ends and I end up having to clarify.
I am starting to think that if I always pre-pooed or oil rinsed before shampooing, I could wash my hair with a non sulfate shampoo 2-3 times a week without dryness.

I can't tell if this survey is just for ppl with relaxed hair - or looking for natural input as well. Anyhoo if you're looking for responses from naturals - yes I do use shampoo usually once or twice/week.

4a, 4c, 4b and etc implies natural.

I am 4a and i must shampoo once a week. I use the new creme of nature moisturizing shampoo (orange bottle) and I clarify once a month with pantene clarifier.

I'm currently on my second attempt to replace shampooing with co-washing and it feels a little better than my last attempt but not by much. My scalp feels crawly and itchy and just weighed down with filth. I just can't do it. :nono:

Sulfates? If loving you is wrong I don't wanna be right!!! :perplexed

Last edited:
I am 4a and transitioning. My hair hates shampoo!! I normally cowash 2-3 times a week and then if I feel like I have build up I'll use wen. I tried to shampoo a few weeks ago and it too me forever to get the moisture back in my hair! I used con green lable and it use to make my hair silky when I was relaxed, but that is out the window now.

I don't see a problem with not shampooing, I personally don't think it is necessary. My hair is the softest and healthiest it has ever been and I've given up on shampoo.

I shampoo once a week and I have 4b hair.

Shampoos I like:

Nexxus Therappe Luxury Moisturizing Shampoo (w/ sulfates but is soo moisturizing, super lather)

Renpure Organics Moisturizing Shampoo (red bottle and sulfate free, good lather)

I use to wash my hair every week (mostly my scalp) but I started co-washing so now it's every two weeks b/c co-washing doesn't get my scalp totally clean. I'm natural 4a/b mix.

I'm transitioning from texlaxed hair. I only recently started shampooing weekly. And that because I found a really good moisturizing shampoo - Skala Shea Butter Shampoo. Before I was just clarifying once a month.

I shampoo 3 times a week without fail

I am mostly natural (transitioning) 4a. I use sulfate free organic type shampoos for damaged or dry hair. right now i'm using a brand called Naked

Washing my scalp more often is a great way to keep the itches away and give myself a stimulating massage. When I tried to co-wash only I used to scratch my scalp and have horrid white build up. I want to try shampoo bars though.

How many of yall use shampoo and how often? yes, once a week or bi-weekly
What kind of shampoo do you use? CON shampoo-green one, or any other shampoo(usually sulflate free) that i can find. I am still looking for a good shampoo that doesn dry out my hair. CON is ok but not the best.
what is your hair type? 3b-4a
Are you relaxed or natural? newly texlaxed. but even when i was natural i would still shampoo once a week or bi-weekly.

How many of yall use shampoo and how often? I shampoo once a week

What kind of shampoo do you use and what is your hair type? I use joico kpak, joico silk results and joico clinicure Are you relaxed or natural? I'm relaxed, 4b, fine strands, thin/medium density

I use to be an avid co-washer for years, however I have found that my hair prefers shampoo to no poo. When I use shampoo I get less matting (during stretches), cleaner scalp, and my leave-ins seem to penetrate better.

Garnier Fructis Triple nutrition once a week, 4a relaxed.

Last edited:

I do. I've ben playing around with it and I think I've settled on washing w/ shampoo 2x a week

I am transitioning. I am trying out a few different kinds, but so far I like

TJ Nourish Spa. LAtely I have been diluting it with aloe vera gel for one of my washes
jason's Tea Tree shampoo
BWC Rosemary Mint and Tea Tree (or something like that)

I've been using Pantene to clarify, but I got AO green tea clarifying shampoo and will try that out.

I have not used shampoo since I got my hair dyed two weeks ago, and my hair has felt the best ever! I wanna know your thoughts, I may have to kick the Poo to the curb!!

I do occasionally co wash, but for me I need to shampoo. Especially since i have dermatitis issues, I find that it really helps to keep a clean scalp as much as possible and purely co-washing wont cut it. As much as possible, i am trying to move away from sulfates, so wee shall see how it works.

I stopped shampooing about 6 months ago, I am 4a texlaxed. I use Wen cleansing conditioner in Lavender (my fav). But about 2-3 weeks ago I ran out and don't have the funds to purchase another bottle at the moment. I'm using this to my advantage and now cleanse with baking soda and distilled water 2x a week or depending on how dirty my hair is. I love it becuase it's cheaper, my hair feels clean yet very soft and extremely bouncy. It's great becuase I'm not limited to only using Wen as a source of getting these types of results. Then I use Moisture Milks in mango and detangle. Afterwards I mix a moisturzer to bring my hair's PH balance back to a normal range per KimmayTube. Her videos are awesome and I learned this technique from her. So far so good my hair is unbelieveable!! And without the use of sulfates my hair is no longer dry and frizzy after washing :)

Last edited:
I am relaxed and shampoo 1x week with nexxus sleekstress shampoo. Seems like a lot of people like the Nexxus moisturizing shampoo. I've got to try that once my bottle finishes.

How many of yall use shampoo and how often?

I shampoo once per week, sometimes less, sometimes more, depending on how I plan to style, but it averages out to once a week.

MJ_shop_superslip_img.jpg

I use Miss Jessie's Super Slip Sudsy Shampoo. I swear this is the best shampoo I have ever used. It's almost slimy how moisturizing it is and it actually gives my hair slip. Crazy right? I have dense, coarse, 3b natural hair.

For a while I didn't use shampoo I used Hair One. I liked it for a while but my hair was so mushy. I'll stick to shampooing 1/week.

Back