Do you shampoo last?

Meemee6223

Since beginning my quest for healthy, natural hair I have been having major scalp issues. Apparently I have a problem getting all of the conditioner off my scalp which I think leads to dandruff, itchy scalp. Also, I've noticed when I use any oils in my hair my scalp itches like crazy and I get dandruff. This means moisturizing and sealing is a no go. I was wondering if anyone deep conditions first, then shampoos last. Will deep conditioning first be a waste of product? If I rinse my hair with hot water after conditioning I'm sure it will help remove the product from my scalp but will this make my hair dry? I don't understand how not to get conditioner on my scalp. My hair is 4b/4c so when it shrinks to my scalp conditioner gets on it. I haven't deep conditioned in a month because I can't stand the itching. My hair looks/feels dry. I tried baggying but i felt like the moisture made my scalp itch, lol. I don't know what to do. Are there any oils that i could likely use to seal in moisture? Please help! I've seen a dermatologist but I haven't used the cream she gave me yet because she called it in to a pharmacy across town and I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet. Thanks in advance!

Right now my regimen is very simple. I've been shampooing with selsun blue once a week, condition with tresseme naturals to detangle, then shampoo again with suave shampoo. I moisturize with taliah wajiid leave in which does not irritate my scalp at all. My ends are breaking because I need more moisture.

Have you tried applying tea tree oil to the oils you apply on your scalp? I heard that can help clear dry itchy scalp.

I have. I add tea tree oil to olive oil and apply to my scalp for a few hours before I shampoo. I must admit, I've tried probiotics too and between that, tea tree oil, and selsun blue I have been able to go a little longer between washes. My issue now is dry hair. I don't know what to do about deep conditioning and moisturizing. I need my scalp to be as clean as possible before I style my hair.

Do you rinse your hair and scalp in cool/cold water after DCing? That works to rinse all of the excess product away. That's what I do when I DC before Ia flat iron, when I want to start with product free hair.

I would not shampoo last. I would feel like I'm washing away all the protection I just added.

I have. I add tea tree oil to olive oil and apply to my scalp for a few hours before I shampoo. I must admit, I've tried probiotics too and between that, tea tree oil, and selsun blue I have been able to go a little longer between washes. My issue now is dry hair. I don't know what to do about deep conditioning and moisturizing. I need my scalp to be as clean as possible before I style my hair.

Wow! Lol!!! We are going through the same thing, 4b/4c natural too. That's crazy. Mine is especially in one spot though, right at the crown.

My last wash day, I actually deep conditioned first (it was already itching as I was applying the DC-AOHSR *sigh*) and did a light shampoo (focusing on scalp and itchy areas only) after with Neutrogena T-sal shampoo.

My hair was in smedium twists through the whole process and after washing, they were a little dry. I separated the twists into four quadrants, applied leave in (trying carefully to avoid the scalp), sealed generously with shea butter and then baggied each quad with those sandwich baggies for a few minutes; that way, the scalp isn't covered. My hair seemed to retain moisture with little itching this way, so I will try next wash day again.

Please let me know if you find relief with the prescription cream Meemee6223.

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2011/05/before-you-shampoo-conditioner-or-oil.html

Please read the above it should clear up the fact that you should DC after co-washing/ shampooing. I pre-poo with JBCO on my scalp, because of the anti bacterial/viral properties (EVCO on length, but that's not relevant to this conversation).

I think a cool ACV rinse will prevent conditioner buildup on your scalp following your DC. In addition, it will seal your cuticles.

Good luck!

Wow! Lol!!! We are going through the same thing, 4b/4c natural too. That's crazy. Mine is especially in one spot though, right at the crown.

My last wash day, I actually deep conditioned first (it was already itching as I was applying the DC-AOHSR *sigh*) and did a light shampoo (focusing on scalp and itchy areas only) after with Neutrogena T-sal shampoo.

My hair was in smedium twists through the whole process and after washing, they were a little dry. I separated the twists into four quadrants, applied leave in (trying carefully to avoid the scalp), sealed generously with shea butter and then baggied each quad with those sandwich baggies for a few minutes; that way, the scalp isn't covered. My hair seemed to retain moisture with little itching this way, so I will try next wash day again.

Please let me know if you find relief with the prescription cream Meemee6223.

Wow, I'm having the EXACT same issue! My problem is mainly in my crown area. I hardly have this issue at all in the back of my head. My head starts to itch when I put the conditioner on too. I read that the bacteria on the scalp feeds off of the fat in the oil on your scalp and by applying more oil and butters on your scalp it exacerbates the problem. So I've tried to stay away from those if possible. It seems to help. I'll try conditioning your way. I'll definitely let you know how the meds work. Let me know if you find a cure, lol.

Do you rinse your hair and scalp in cool/cold water after DCing? That works to rinse all of the excess product away. That's what I do when I DC before Ia flat iron, when I want to start with product free hair.

I would not shampoo last. I would feel like I'm washing away all the protection I just added.

No, well, I tried that before and I felt like it did not remove the product from my hair. I noticed that when I rinse my conditioner laced combs and clips with cold water I have a hard time getting it off of those. So I can only imagine what would be left behind if I rinse my scalp with cold water. So I at least rinse with warm water. Lately I have been shampooing last just to make my scalp is clean. I feel like that's wrong but I'll lose my sanity if my scalp continues to itch like it had been.

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2011/05/before-you-shampoo-conditioner-or-oil.html

Please read the above it should clear up the fact that you should DC after co-washing/ shampooing. I pre-poo with JBCO on my scalp, because of the anti bacterial/viral properties (EVCO on length, but that's not relevant to this conversation).

I think a cool ACV rinse will prevent conditioner buildup on your scalp following your DC. In addition, it will seal your cuticles.

Good luck!

Very informative! I thought by leaving the conditioner on my stands and shampooing my scalp I was keeping my stands more moisturized. *sigh* I wish I had the guts to be bald so I could just shave my head... Why can't I just have a normal scalp? My dds scalp is so healthy. I go to great lengths to make sure we don't use the same hair tools.

Mix full fat plain yogurt and olive oil... and apply it in your your hair for 1 hr... You'll feel the itch increase for a bit.... then rinse out thoroughly.... shampoo scalp with sulfate free conditioner and DC as normal... I had the same issue and that's how I fixed it... The yogurt should leave your hair super soft too...

Mix full fat plain yogurt and olive oil... and apply it in your your hair for 1 hr... You'll feel the itch increase for a bit.... then rinse out thoroughly.... shampoo scalp with sulfate free conditioner and DC as normal... I had the same issue and that's how I fixed it... The yogurt should leave your hair super soft too...

Thanks, I think I'll try that tonight. It's always nice to hear from those who have been there. How often did you do this? How long before you felt like your scalp was normal?

Oh btw Meemee6223 did the derm give you an official diagnosis?

No, I thought she would scrape my scalp and do some tests or something. She just asked me a few questions, looked at my scalp and that was it. I didn't have a lot of dandruff at that time so I didn't feel like there was anything to see. She said to try the cream and if it doesn't help come back. While I was there I asked for something for acne scars. I have to go back in a couple of months to check on that so if I'm still having scalp issues i'll address them more thoroughly then.

What's your rinsing technique?

I have scalp issues like you and I read somewhere that the best therapy for scalp is a good rinse.

I have to scrub my scalp with the pads of my fingers under running water for a WHILE--at least 2 minutes to be sure there are no problems with flaking, scabs, and itching. Since that, and using other things (teas), there's very little problems. My hair is still a TWA 4/bz so there is no choice for me getting things on my scalp.

Also, and probably the most important was getting a showerhead filter to take out chemicals and metals from the water. This has made a HUGE difference--chlorine and my scalp are not friends :nono: $20 at Home Depot, Lowes, etc every 3 months saved me from the major issues I was having along with long drawn out rinsing. I no longer wash my hair under the sink tap--at least not until I get filters for them.

I have scalp issues like you and I read somewhere that the best therapy for scalp is a good rinse.

I have to scrub my scalp with the pads of my fingers under running water for a WHILE--at least 2 minutes to be sure there are no problems with flaking, scabs, and itching. Since that, and using other things (teas), there's very little problems. My hair is still a TWA 4/bz so there is no choice for me getting things on my scalp.

Also, and probably the most important was getting a showerhead filter to take out chemicals and metals from the water. This has made a HUGE difference--chlorine and my scalp are not friends :nono: $20 at Home Depot, Lowes, etc every 3 months saved me from the major issues I was having along with long drawn out rinsing. I no longer wash my hair under the sink tap--at least not until I get filters for them.

This is definitely next on the list for me to try. Thanks for sharing DarkJoy.

I really think this is my problem. Getting to my scalp is a bit of a chore, lol. I'm so impatient but I've been trying to pay much more attention to rinsing. I recently moved to a new apartment and the shower water pressure SUCKS! I bought a new shower head to try to help with the water pressure. I've had to wash my hair in the sink because of this. I wonder if theres a sink filter with high water pressure... My 4 year old is begging me to play with her so i'll be MIA for a little while, lol. Thanks for all your help! Please keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks, I think I'll try that tonight. It's always nice to hear from those who have been there. How often did you do this? How long before you felt like your scalp was normal?

I did 2x once a month (cos the yogurt acts like a light protein in my hair)... and my scalp normalized... I have to wash my hair weekly to keep the flakes away and I always coconut oil prepoo... helps my scalp too....

This is pretty much what I have done as well. My scalped itched when it was wet with no product, it itched after I rinsed, it itched with oil and it itched with baggying. I could not overnight DC. And I used all natural products. It didn't make a difference.

I prepoo with oils with various EOs that help heal and soothe the scalp. I wash my scalp with just plain water first. I part my hair with my fingers start at the back and cleanse my scalp with the pad of my fingers. I repeat this with my final rinse. I also do some type of scalp treatment once a month.

I had to do this for several months before I noticed a difference. But now my scalp is much better. It rarely itches. It doesn't itch when wet. I can baggy and for the first time in 2 years I did an overnight DC and didn't scratch myself to death.

I really think it is more about the condition of the scalp than the actual products you are using. I think the scalp can be inflamed and we not know it so the scalp is really sensitive.

Do you use tea tree oil by itself? Is it 100% tea tree oil? I ask because I have the same problem, and olive oil will irritate my scalp. I mix the tea tree oil in a water bottle and spray my scalp to relieve the irritation, and then shampoo.

faithVA DarkJoy

I was just watching a youtube twist out tutorial and this woman said she's allergic to a lot of oils so she uses Vaseline to seal. Her hair was pretty short. I dont know how long shes been natural or how long shes been using vaseline. I get breakouts if oil gets on my face or even my lips. I don't know why I never made the connection until now, lol. My question is, how do you think applying vaseline to my hair would effect my hair journey? I've always avoided products with certain ingredients and would never have put vaseline in my hair. Now under the circumstances I'm considering it.

try MN? it may help. you should try kera care dry and itchy scalp shampoo and conditioner. and when you deep condition, do your best not to massage the product into your scalp. you only need to conditioner your strands.

@faithVA @DarkJoy

I was just watching a youtube twist out tutorial and this woman said she's allergic to a lot of oils so she uses Vaseline to seal. Her hair was pretty short. I dont know how long shes been natural or how long shes been using vaseline. I get breakouts if oil gets on my face or even my lips. I don't know why I never made the connection until now, lol. My question is, how do you think applying vaseline to my hair would effect my hair journey? I've always avoided products with certain ingredients and would never have put vaseline in my hair. Now under the circumstances I'm considering it.
Meemee6223 grease gets no love on this board--well only by a few.

I am one of the few. I am also allergic to most things, EXCEPT petroleum. I have a great hair grease that also contains sulfur. My hair loves it and when I use it (usually in winter as it's the best sealer ever) I retain like crazy.

I generally only use a fingerful on the VERY ends when they are soaking wet. I NEVER grease my scalp and it's just fine.

If you can use chapstick or those lip balms you'll be fine. They are nothing but petrolatum, some oils and whatnot.

Try what works for you. We are all different. You wont lose a lot of money on this experiment. Grease products are less than $5!

Meemee6223 grease gets no love on this board--well only by a few.

I am one of the few. I am also allergic to most things, EXCEPT petroleum. I have a great hair grease that also contains sulfur. My hair loves it and when I use it (usually in winter as it's the best sealer ever) I retain like crazy.

I generally only use a fingerful on the VERY ends when they are soaking wet. I NEVER grease my scalp and it's just fine.

If you can use chapstick or those lip balms you'll be fine. They are nothing but petrolatum, some oils and whatnot.

Try what works for you. We are all different. You wont lose a lot of money on this experiment. Grease products are less than $5!

What grease do you use that contains sulfer? That sounds like it would be right up my alley.

Ok, I'll experiment even though this goes against everything I've learned since joining this site. I feel naughty just thinking about that, lol.

What grease do you use that contains sulfer? That sounds like it would be right up my alley.

Ok, I'll experiment even though this goes against everything I've learned since joining this site. I feel naughty just thinking about that, lol.
@Meemee6223

ssssh!! :sekret: grease police might be watching :lachen: Just realized it has other juicy ingredients not just grease. Be sure you're not allergic to any of them.

It's called: Wondergro Pure Sulfur Hair and Scalp Vitalizer

petrolatum, sulfur, (oil complex): castor, sunflower, wheat germ, rosemary, mint, aloe vera, sesame, soy. (herbal complex): burdock, comfrey, nettle, horsetail, kola nut, dandelion, ginseng, wild yam, rosemary, lanolin, brewer's yeast, menthol, color, fragrance

:lick:

Funny--I'm allergic to several items in it but they don't seem to bother me with this product. Interesting!

Attachments

• WonderGroSULFUR.jpg
    WonderGroSULFUR.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
@Meemee6223

ssssh!! :sekret: grease police might be watching :lachen: Just realized it has other juicy ingredients not just grease. Be sure you're not allergic to any of them.

It's called: Wondergro Pure Sulfur Hair and Scalp Vitalizer

petrolatum, sulfur, (oil complex): castor, sunflower, wheat germ, rosemary, mint, aloe vera, sesame, soy. (herbal complex): burdock, comfrey, nettle, horsetail, kola nut, dandelion, ginseng, wild yam, rosemary, lanolin, brewer's yeast, menthol, color, fragrance
:lick:

Funny--I'm allergic to several items in it but they don't seem to bother me with this product. Interesting!

It sounds great. I'm gonna look for it. Thanks for all your help!

ceecy29

I thought my derm prescribed a cream to apply to my scalp but she only prescribed a solution like Benedril to help with itching and inflammation. That didn't treat the problem so I called back and asked for a shampoo. She prescribed ketaconazole shampoo 2%. I was instructed to shampoo with it once a week. After lathering leave on for 5 minutes, rinse, then continue with wash day as usual. Let me tell you, I've used this stuff only once last Friday. Today is Thursday and I have not seen a single flake! My scalp looks great! I'm totally shocked at the results! You should definitely see about getting this shampoo from your doctor. I wish I would've seen her sooner.

On another note, my hair texture is everything from 3c to 4c. It's mostly 4b. I had been having issues with dryness since the beginning of my transition. I learned about Aloe Vera gel on YouTube and bought a bottle from Wal-Mart a few days ago. This stuff made my hair so soft and shiny. I got a lot of compliments on my hair. I think I bought it Monday and I haven't used it again since. My hair is still shiny and pretty moisturized. Next time I buy it I'll get it from whole foods but for now this is working really well. It's worth a shot if you have problems retaining moisture. It only cost 4 bucks.

Back