Do You Section Your Hair Alot When Washing?

Absolutely, I'm MBL, type 4 and high density, the strands are very coarse and will shrink up and tangle on each other in a heartbeat.

I have to do 12 braided sections prior to every wash to even have a chance of thoroughly cleansing my scalp. This prevents unnecessary tangling, allows me to use much less product and is probably one of the most important factors in my retention.

Yes - there's no way I'd do less than 4 sections.

I've found I have too many issues with tangling the less sections I use, especially in the back where the texture is tighter and threadier. If the roots are tangle free then the ends will tangle. If the ends are not tangled than the roots will shrink up and tangle. Sounds crazy but it's the way it is.

2 sections from ear to forehead (more wiry and straighter texture), 4 in the back for the tighter more textured stuff.

4 in a rush, 6 is better.

Last edited:
I've been washing in sections since my BC and it has eliminated tangling when washing and preparing for blowdrying. It also helps me get my entire scalp is clean. I'm grazing MBL with high density and I usually use 6-8 sections

I'm a rule breaker around these parts. I dont wash in sections. I wear my WnGs split down the middle and thats how I wash my hair. I also let the water from the shower head do most of my detangling for me. Granted the most I will do is a little finger detangling. I rarely EVER fully detangle. I just make sure my hair doesnt lock up. I only fully detangle if I'm putting some type of heat on my hair which is rare.

I do 6-8 depending on how tangle it is pre wash..It's easer for me & I'm really able to saturate my hair with conditioner...

Happy Hair Growing!

I don't wash my hair in sections. My hair is super thick, but when it is wet it is easy to manage. Maybe when I hit waist length or something I might need to wash in sections. We shall see.

I don't section off my hair to wash it. Takes waay too much time. And I don't section to do wash and gos either, I prefer to just rake the gel through my hair from top to bottom, all at once (I detangle in the shower). Takes like, 5 mins. Only time I section is when I'm DC'ing because I want to make sure that I get the conditioner on every single curl lol. When I see people on youtube sectioning off their hair into like, 20 sections just to do a wash and go(!!) I'm like, daaaang, that must take forevarr lol. I think a lot of ppl would be surprised at how few sections they really need.

Same here. I don't know how people take so much time. People taking hours to do their hair. From wash to twist/braid it takes me maybe 45 minutes and I think I may be exaggerating a bit. If I gotta take more than an hour to do my hair I'd just be bald:lachen:

If I'm washing with shampoo, I do 4 sections. If I'm cond. washing, I'll sometimes cheat and do 2. I HAVE to wash my hair in sections to avoid tangling.

I wash in 6-8 braids. I don't unravel the braids unless I'm applying my deep conditioner (which is usually on dry hair). I like to be sure that I can get to my scalp without causing it to tangle up. This method doesn't take a lot of time, energy, or product, and I don't have to worry about detangling a mass of hair.

I normally wait 16 weeks before a touchup so when I am about 8 weeks I begin to section my hair in 8 sections. I will be relaxing in another 5 weeks after a major setback in 2009 and after wearing braids for the last 2 years and 5 months and I think instead of doing the 8 section thing I am going to pre-conditioned my hair with a cheapie conditioner then section in 4s.

Two sections unless I want to spend an hour prying my hair apart and detangling it. I had to hip my transitioning bff to this the other day, cause she said her hair (fine, 4a to 4b) locks up when water hits.

I washed her hair in two sections and she was amazed that I got through it so effortlessly.

To the ladies that do more than 2....have u ever tried do lesser sections than you do currently? Bc I had never tried 2 sections as a natural head...not for detangling and styling. I thought I'd have to always do 4-6 sections, forever. Lol

6-8 sections. i pre-poo, section and detangle, then braid it up and it stays in those braids though washing and conditioning and I'll re-braid after I'm done to let it air dry

4 Sections works best for me. I always try to be lazy and do 2, but I get more tangles that way. All that sectioning and unsectioning is annoying and takes forever :ohwell:.

Last edited:
I used to do 6 to 8 sections, but I've cut that down to four. It has saved me a little bit of time n tha washing process.

Usually 6-8 braids, but I've been doing 4 braids lately and it's working + saving time. Might be a keeper but the real test will be when my new growth starts to come in...

Back