Do you pre-poo? Do you add ceramides to your conditioners? Tell me about it!

LaFemmeNaturelle

So ladies, if you pre-poo, please tell me with what, what do you shampoo with afterwards and what does the pre-poo do for your hair.

Or if you add oils with ceramides, how has it changed/affected your hair (or not)?

Why? I LOVE sunflower oil and I had been sealing with it for all summer but now that its cold, I've brought out the big boys (grease) and my hair is much softer than it was all summer. So now I'm thinking maybe grease should just be a year round staple instead of the usual fall/winter staple. The thing is, I love the benefits of sunflower oil (ceramides) and I don't want to get rid of it. I'm thinking of pre-pooing with it but I've never really benefitted from pre-pooing and I feel like the sulfates will just wash those little ceramides away. I've also never had a positive experience with adding oils to my conditioners (olive, coconut, castor) but maybe I added too much. How much do you add?

What do you think I should do with the sunflower oil?

Hmm...maybe I should just add a light protein weekly and I won't even need the ceramides. IDK WHAT TO DO!!! But I DO know that grease does a better job at keeping my hair soft throughout the week.
TIA!

ETA: Nooooo I'm not switching to a sulfate-free shampoo. Been there, done that, scalp doesn't like it!....but maybe I could co-wash after I pre-poo? Hmmm....

Oil your scalp/hair with sunflower oil a few hours (or the night before) and conditioner wash it out. Don't use shampoo, use conditioner or raw African black soap. I put an ounce of oil on my scalp, work it through hair, baggie and wash a few hours later or the next day.

You can also do oil rinse: rinse with water or shampoo, add oil to scalp/hair, massage, use conditioner to wash out excess oil.

Either skip the shampoo or use the shampoo before the oil is applied. HTH

What oil do you use? How has it benefitted your scalp? I used to oil my scalp (made my own growth mix) but it didn't do much for me.

Thanks for reminding me about oil rinses.

Hmmm I dont know the consistency of Sunflower oil, but what do you think about turning it into a jelly? You can try mixing it with unpetroleum jelly, or make your own since you like grease...

I prepoo with Vatika, and Amla Oil....the vatika oil softens my hair , and the amla (on top) makes my hair nice and slippery for finger detangling...For shampoo, I alternate between Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo, and Dr. Bronners Lavender Castile soap (diluted of course)...prepooing just leaves my hair very soft, feeling like its conditioned even though it was cleansed...

Last edited:
I do oil rinses and seal with coconut, almond, sunflower, castor, hemp seed, sesame, mustard, amla, vatika and EVOO. Castor, hemp seed, mustard and hibiscus infused sunflower have been the best oil rinses to combat dryness when I am using ayurvedic powders (henna, cassia, alma, maka, brahmi, neem).

ETA: You will LOVE sunflower oil rinses :lick:

Last edited:
Wow, Choc aint playin...Oils on deck! :giggle:

You could just pour a bit of the sunflower oil on the palm of your hands and rub it throughout damp/clean hair for a sort of "pre-seal". Then, bring out the big boys(grease). :D

So that way you can get the best of both worlds. I'm trying to get back to prepooing with EVOO(or any oil) for extra moisture. What shampoo do you use? :eyebrows2

Wow, Choc aint playin...Oils on deck! :giggle:

What shampoo do you use? :eyebrows2

Greetings JuiceMobstaChelz ... not sure if you're asking me about shampoo but I switched to raw African Black Soap. It clarifies and anything I use after it feels like its on steroids.

Thanks ladies! Adding the oil to my grease is something I've never thought of. Pretty good idea.

Adding it before the grease is a good idea too! I will try both and compare.

I'm currently using Nexxus Therappe to shampoo. I also have an ayurvedic poo and a suave rosemary mint poo that i've never tried. But my staple poo is actually Vo5 so once I'm done with those, the Vo5 is the only one I'll repurchase. I try to keep my reggie and products as simple as possible without compromising the health of my hair. I also dont shampoo often so Vo5 does the job!

ETA: oh yeah choc, i didnt know who she was asking but decided to answer anyway lol

Greetings JuiceMobstaChelz ... not sure if you're asking me about shampoo but I switched to raw African Black Soap. It clarifies and anything I use after it feels like its on steroids.

Do you rub the black soap on your hands first and then put the lather in your hair? It felt like it stripped a whole layer off of my hair when I used it. :nono: I was like :blush::blush: while I rinsed it out. Hayle naw.

Thanks ladies! Adding the oil to my grease is something I've never thought of. Pretty good idea.

Adding it before the grease is a good idea too! I will try both and compare.

I'm currently using Nexxus Therappe to shampoo. I also have an ayurvedic poo and a suave rosemary mint poo that i've never tried. But my staple poo is actually Vo5 so once I'm done with those, the Vo5 is the only one I'll repurchase. I try to keep my reggie and products as simple as possible without compromising the health of my hair. I also dont shampoo often so Vo5 does the job!

ETA: oh yeah choc, i didnt know who she was asking but decided to answer anyway lol

Did you have one of those big 32 oz bottles of Suave? I have the Almond/shea butter kind...its okay...only tried it once though. The shea/almond condish was just okay too...I'm going to use it as part of my prepoo. :)

Which V05 poo are you using? I want to try cowashing once a week with V05 once I'm fully natural but I havent thought of trying their shampoos. :scratchch

:sekret: When the JuiceMobsta asks a question, its always safer to respond :lachen: I don't want to end up :missing:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Chelz

I rub the soap on my hands and transfer lather to my hair. I have found that the raw soaps vary in the ingredients (plaintains vs other leaves, woods, palm kernel oil, shea butter, etc. I purchased black soap from a local shop but ended up doing a bulk purchase online from Madina. Their soap is gentler and I use it daily for skin. It also removes the scent of fish and bait from your hands so its a win win for me :)

Yes, I pre-poo. I switch between oils (sunflower or olive) and unlikeable DCs. Currently, I'm using a mixture of left over poos (Skala, Nioxin, etc). I pre-poo b/c my hair likes it and it allows me to use up DCs that I don't particularly like.

As for ceramides, I love my sunflower oil! It is so light and non-greasy. I mix it with my DCs and I seal with it. During the last six weeks of my previous stretch, I used Skala's G3 Ceramide leave in on almost a daily basis. I believe ceramides played an important role in my ability to stretch and maintain a healthy head. Shout-out to halee_J for showing me what ceramides can do! :yep:

Sometimes I pre-poo with safflower oil but just to aid in detangling. I only let it sit for about 30 minutes, then finger detangle, then use my dilluted conditioner and detangle before detangling in the shower under running water. (I plays no games with shed hairs lol)
I oil rinse with safflower oil as well. Yesterday I co-washed with hairveda moist 24/7 and added safflower oil and let it sit for about 5 minutes before rinsing, my hair felt heavenly! I wanna do it again tonight but its late and Im running out of hairveda, trying to stretch it til black friday!

I don't pre-poo.

I add several drops of coconut oil and or JBCO to my condish. I also tend to mix of JBCO, 100% argan oil or wheat germ oil together and add to my hair at night. Rinse in the morning. Great stuff.

I do, with some kind of ceramide oil; usually rice bran or hempseed oil. I shampoo with ORS creamy aloe. I lub me some ceramides :love3: They have helped tremendously with strength elasticity, shine, balancing porosity and moisture retention. Basically, the best thing since sliced bread :yep:

I do, with some kind of ceramide oil; usually rice bran or hempseed oil. I shampoo with ORS creamy aloe. I lub me some ceramides :love3: They have helped tremendously with strength elasticity, shine, balancing porosity and moisture retention. Basically, the best thing since sliced bread :yep:
I think you've probably told me this before but do you pre-poo or add it to your DC or both?

Choctaw...you are not playing! Lol...Im gonna check of the black soap at Madina. Does it act as a clarifying shampoo? Also have you ever you the Shakiki soap with alma and I think Brahmi in it, if so did you like it?

oh...and Your hair looks FAB!!!

Choctaw...you are not playing! Lol...Im gonna check of the black soap at Madina. Does it act as a clarifying shampoo? Also have you ever you the Shakiki soap with alma and I think Brahmi in it, if so did you like it?

oh...and Your hair looks FAB!!!
Yes, I use madina's black soap to clarify hair. I love alma paste for hair packs and facials. I also combine amla with brahmi and maka into pastes -- with and without henna. I have not used shakiki soap because so its easy to use the black soap (no mixing) but I may buy some this week and try it. Have you used tulsi or neem? How does neem compare to amla for the face? I want to try skakiki powder after an oiling.

I have no photo in my siggy but I agree that the ladies posting in here have some gorgeous hair :)

Oil your scalp/hair with sunflower oil a few hours (or the night before) and conditioner wash it out. Don't use shampoo, use conditioner or raw African black soap. I put an ounce of oil on my scalp, work it through hair, baggie and wash a few hours later or the next day.

You can also do oil rinse: rinse with water or shampoo, add oil to scalp/hair, massage, use conditioner to wash out excess oil.

Either skip the shampoo or use the shampoo before the oil is applied. HTH

choctaw hey would an ayurvedic shampoo be ok to use after a pre-poo? It has shikikai, reetha,and amla.

Did you have one of those big 32 oz bottles of Suave? I have the Almond/shea butter kind...its okay...only tried it once though. The shea/almond condish was just okay too...I'm going to use it as part of my prepoo. :)

Which V05 poo are you using? I want to try cowashing once a week with V05 once I'm fully natural but I havent thought of trying their shampoos. :scratchch

Chelz No my suaves are regular size. I never buy jumbo until I try them first....well these I got for free because Suave sent two free coupons in the mail. I tried to shea butter shampoo before. It was pretty ok. It didn't strip as much as the suave naturals coconut. I didn't like the conditioner at all. I'll try it again when I'm fully natural because I have the entire bottle left. I use their volumizing shampoo because it has hydrolyzed collagen in it so I figured a shampoo with some light protein in it would be good. I've also tried the strawberries and cream shampoo but that was when I was natural years ago so I don't really remember it. But I only shampoo like once a month or longer so I'm not picky about my shampoos and Vo5 is 77 cents. Can't beat that!

I have no experience with ayurvedic shampoos. What's the name of the shampoo? The powders can be astringent. Can you use the average conditioner after the shampoo?

It's called ayur herbal shampoo amla and shikikai with reetha. IDK anything about reetha so I didnt know if it would be so strong a cleanser that it would totally negate all the benefits of the prepoo.

It's called ayur herbal shampoo amla and shikikai with reetha. IDK anything about reetha so I didnt know if it would be so strong a cleanser that it would totally negate all the benefits of the prepoo.
I did a search and this is the first review that popped up on Amazon. Do you have a bottle to confirm the missing ingredients list? The points made in the review are valid. Aggie and some of the other ayurvedic experts have more experience mixing powders. Maybe this would be a good paste to use after oiling your hair with sunflower oil?

The shampoo bottle had no list of ingredients and so this purchase is a risky one. There is no way to tell if the shikakai, amla, and reetha are pure and are the majority of the product or if they are in minute amounts in this mixture. The perfume smell was pretty bad and this suggests that there are probably sulfates in it, which is what I was trying to avoid in the hopes of finding a good herbal shampoo. Others may like it, but I do not recommend it for anyone searching for pure herbal shampoos.

source: http://www.amazon.com/Ayur-Herbal-Shampoo-Shikakai-Reetha/dp/B002EJ4ULU

Last edited:
Hmmm ok thats really interesting. Thanks for posting that. Maybe I will ask some of the indians and bengalis that i know or go to the indian grocer and see if he knows much about it. I didnt buy the poo it was given to me so I won't be buying any powders or anything. I'll just pre-poo before I do my normal co-washes.

Hmmm ok thats really interesting. Thanks for posting that. Maybe I will ask some of the indians and bengalis that i know or go to the indian grocer and see if he knows much about it. I didnt buy the poo it was given to me so I won't be buying any powders or anything. I'll just pre-poo before I do my normal co-washes.

Please post your feedback from your associates and Indian grocer. I found a recent review on an Indian beauty site but it was also negative. The initial review is about the Ayur skin toner but one of the posters commented on the shampoo. Ayur Herbal Skin Toner Review | Indian Makeup and Beauty Blog

Yup I'll let you know I just wrote on all their facebook pages lol I found some reviews on another website. Most of them were good. There were a couple bad ones because they had allergic reactions. I've tried the poo before and I liked it so I really dont mind if it has sulfates. I'll just use it when I pre-poo with this amla oil that I'm trying to get rid of.

Back