Do You Lend Your Car Out?

QT

Do you lend your car out to your kids? Especially the ones over 19. If you do, what are the rules?

(It's a lot of backstory, this sums it up lol) I feel I maybe too strict when it comes to allowing my 21 year son to use our cars. I would occasionally let him use it for leisure, but mostly for interviews/work. My husband is the same way. I would rather help him purchase a used car vs lending mine out. He's not working at the moment (only a small unemployment funds) so its going to be awhile before he's able to meet us halfway on the purchase.

I just need some feed back on your views when it come to your vehicle.

I didn't have a car of my own until I graduated from college; however, we did an older family car that I drove my senior year in high school and on college breaks.

My mom is much stingier with her cars and rarely lets me drive them.

When I go home and visit my parents now, my dad lets me drive one of his cars while I'm there.

I don't like to share, so I'd probably help him get a cheap get-around town car for him to use rather than lend mine out.

Reactions: QT
Yes he drives it more than me. We only have one car and so I'm like I chafferned you around for 21 years it's my turn to be in the drivers set. I make him go places with me so that he can drive and not me. When I'm at work and he has the car and we work opposite end of the day so he takes the car to work until he can purchase on of his own. BTW he's 23

Reactions: QT
my parents used to let me drive their cars....it was also a safety thing, if i was going out they preferred me being safe traveling and etc

the rules were
i would ask in advance
I would put gas in the car
if i received a ticket i would pay it

...they would give us their old cars when they upgraded to a new one and we paid for the insurance which was like $100 a month that was our only responsibility if we were driving a car they gave us

graduation gifts are usually a great time to get a child a car....or go half on buying it with them

a used honda is like a cheap get around first car that is not to expensive and can be gifted to a child..in ny you can get a honda for like $2k and call it a day

i started driving my mom's car when i was 16. i didn't get my license until i was 18 when i got my first car as a graduation gift.

my parents were the least strict parents in history.

My parents bought me a brand new car when I started diving at 17. Never needed to drive their cars.

Why is this in the relationship forum? Lol

My parents bought me a brand new car when I started diving at 17. Never needed to drive their cars.

Why is this in the relationship forum? Lol

:rofl:

I just knew you were going to say your parents bought you a car :lol:

my parents didn't have a car when I was growing up...my uncle used to let my cousin and I drive his old Thunderbird when I was like 11 lol. I still don't have a license so no, my parent's don't let me drive their cars and I'm grown lol.

My mom let me drive her car to school and social events when I was a senior in high school. I didn't have a car my freshman year of college and my dad bought me a used car the summer before my sophomore year.

No, we didn't use our parents cars (if you don't count that time we sort of stole dad's car). My sister drove me to most places in her car until I got my own at 16.

My parents gave me a car in high school. Totaled it right before college :/

I let them drive my current car as long as they are responsible with it. I have this tracker thing from my car insurance ppl and my driving is monitored. Dad likes to pretend he's driving a hot rod. That foolishness effects my discount

SO has a key to my car. I dont have a key to his car.

My parents gave me a car in high school. Totaled it right before college :/

I let them drive my current car as long as they are responsible with it. I have this tracker thing from my car insurance ppl and my driving is monitored. Dad likes to pretend he's driving a hot rod. That foolishness effects my discount

SO has a key to my car. I dont have a key to his car.

Lol similar experience: I totaled the car they gave me in high school while driving back to college 1 year. They bought me another 1 when I came home for the summer lol. I'm doing well with it! No accidents! *knocks on wood*

Back