Do You Know of Any Setting Lotions That Don't Leave Your Hair Hard?

kblc06

Or flaky? I've tried lottabody (in the purple and white bottle), but it leaves my hair stiff and dull looking. I want something gives shine, but with a little hold that can be easily combed out. I remember my mother used to use Ultra-Sheen (I think that's what it was) and it left my hair very shiny, but I don't remember it being very soft. What types of setting lotion do you use for your rollersets?

Did you try diluting the setting lotion with some water. That should take the extra hold out of it and leave your hair softer. It's just a thought

Or flaky? I've tried lottabody (in the purple and white bottle), but it leaves my hair stiff and dull looking. I want something gives shine, but with a little hold that can be easily combed out. I remember my mother used to use Ultra-Sheen (I think that's what it was) and it left my hair very shiny, but I don't remember it being very soft. What types of setting lotion do you use for your rollersets?

I don't know of too many setting lotions that won't cause hair to be stiff but I know of a wrapping lotion that I use that can be used for rollersetting as well - Keracare Foam Wrap Set Lotion. It won't leave your hair feeling stiff, just soft.

If lottabody is leaving your hair hard you are not diluting it enough. I dilute 1 part lottabody to 6 parts water and add two capfuls of SAA (in a 28 oz spray bottle).

Nairobi Foam Wrap and BBD Butter Foam Wrap lotion are the best I have used.
They both leave the hair feeling nice and soft and are a little more expensive.

Did you try diluting the setting lotion with some water. That should take the extra hold out of it and leave your hair softer. It's just a thought

I did-even down to 1 part setting lotion and 3 parts water :perplexed It made my hair strands feel as though they were catching on each other (as if you were combing out holding spray). It wasn't much but I didn't want to incur any long term damage or setbacks

I like lottabody and elasta qp..but I dilute both wayyyy down...maybe half to three parts warm water. I also use chi silk infusion to help with detangle and hold.

I have KeraCare, Proclaim Olive Oil wrap lotion, ORS Wrap lotion and BioInfusion Olive Oil Wrap lotion ( that I got from Walgreens).

The KeraCare and BioInfusion never make my hair stiff, and I use them at full strength. I use the other 2 when I want my curls to last a little longer.

I'm almost positive all 4 are alcohol free though, which is something to consider.

Hope this helps!

Nairobi and Bonner Brothers (BB) each have a foam wrap that is very easy on the hair. It makes detangling effortless and gives the hair a very soft feel and a beautiful/healthy sheen.

When I want a soft set I like Paul Mitchell's Foaming Pomade, it cost about $13 dollars for a bottle. It's a bit heavier than a setting lotion, but I think it works great if you want to skip the setting lotion, plus it leaves an amazing shine. Most of the time i use it with my Lottabody or Mizani foam wrap and it leaves my hair a lot softer. Sometimes I use it on my hair dry, especially if I'm pulling my hair up.

^^ Thanks for that. I was just about to ask if anyone tried teh Mizani. I have Paul Mitchell but never considered using it for a roller set. Thanks again.

Nairobi Foam Wrap and BBD Butter Foam Wrap lotion are the best I have used.
They both leave the hair feeling nice and soft and are a little more expensive.

Nairobi is the best!!!!! Event many weeks post it really softens hair.

I make my own setting lotion mix. I list ingredients here.

I've heard about Nairobi.

I can't wait to try it :grin:

I've used Lottabody, Motions, Ultrasheen, etc... and they all make my hair hard, even when I diluted them.

Are you ladies buying your Nairobi online?

I thought I was going to have to buy mine online, but my local BSS sells it.
I have also noticed the Narobi Relaxer and Products being sold in a lot of local BSS and Hair Cuttery Places.
I am told many ladies buy 2 to 3 bottles of Nairobi Foam Wrap in my area because it sells out so fast.

I used to be very fond of the Pantene Relaxed and Natural setting lotion. It always left my sets very soft, never crunchy. Haven't used it in a few years though :look:

Man -lottabody is bad for me....I can't comb my hair if my ex-hairdresser would use it.

Jane Carter makes a wrap and shine setting lotion. I going to be up front--the hold is very slight on natural hair. Keracare and Proclaim with Olive Oil are my next favorites! In fact the Proclaim with Olive Oil is really at the top of the list.

Wish I had read this before my trip to the BSS - I am under the dryer with very diluted Lottabody wrap and tap. I have the jc wrap stuff under the sink...

I will try that next week.

I've heard a lot of good things about Narobi, but on a couple of people I know have ever used it, so I've been reluctant to try it because it's a bit on the expensive side. The last time i bought setting lotion Mizani was cheaper than Narobi....but I think Mizani is expensive too. But maybe I will give it a try when it's time to buy again.

Back