Do you have to sit under a dryer to Deep conditioner?

Key

I apologize if this question is already posted but I did a search and couldn't find the answer. I was wondering if you are doing a DC that says to sit under a dryer for X mins. can you just keep the conditioner in overnight and get the same results or do you have to sit under a dryer??

You don't have to sit under a dryer to deep condition. I've gotten good results from leaving the conditioner on under a plastic cap for a couple of hours. I tend to do this when I am traveling and don't have access to my heat cap or bonnet dryer. I also get good results from using hot towels over a plastic cap.

I've tried leaving deep conditioner on overnight but it didn't work for me. My hair felt "mushy" a couple of times after doing that.

No, you don't have to sit under a dryer to deep condition. You can place a plastic cap (or even a plastic bag) over your hair and just go about doing your regular thing.

If you do not sit under a dryer, you just need to keep it on longer for the same results. I usually sit under the dryer for 15-30 minutes. If I am using just the cap, I leave it on for 1-2 hours to get the same conditioning result.

No you don't have to but I get the very best results from sitting under the dryer. I stopped sitting upder the dry for a few months when my son was born. I am starting to notice a difference and started sitting under the dryer again.

Okay, thank you very much for the replies. Sometimes I can't use the dryer because it is so loud to me that even if I use a baby monitor, I'm not able to hear my 9 month old son if he wakes up so I thought about just putting a plastic cap on and just rinsing later but I was concerned that that wouldn't work. But I feel better now and I appreciate the input. :yep:

I prefer to sleep in my DC.. my hair comes out sooo much softer. It doesn't get mushy.

If you are wprried about waking your lil' one, you could just pop a wet towel in the microwave and nuke it for a couple of mins and then wrap in around your plastic cap on your head. I used to do this sometimes.

I get great results from leaving it in overnight. I usually use two plastic shower cap to cover it and rinse it out in the morning. Hope that helps.

No you don't have to but I get the very best results from sitting under the dryer. I stopped sitting upder the dry for a few months when my son was born. I am starting to notice a difference and started sitting under the dryer again.

I totally agree!

You can DC without heat, I did for a year, not by choice. Now I DC with heat. My hair is alot silkier when done with heat.

You don't have to. But more of the conditioner penetrates the hair shaft when heat is added.

**Bumping!**

How do you ladies sleep in your DC? I've tried with a scarf and it just gets all over my pillow, my face...

Does anyone have a technique? OR, can you point me to an old thread that might offer one?

TIA

Aluminum foil baby:yep:

I absolutely hate dc'ing under my hooded dryer!
I saw this mentioned in one of mane and chic's feature's regimen.

I love it,and have been doing it religiously for the past few months.
If you don't want to wrap your head in foil,then check your bss for a processing cap made out of aluminum-looking material???I'm not sure what they are called but i actually used to use them some years back:yep:.

Thanks so much, ladybeersch!

I remember using one of those before - I will try to get another!!! I'll give it another try!

I get better results when I dc withheat under a dryer vs just putting a cap on my hair for an hour or so.

I want to try the foil method this weekend... do you apply conditioner, apply the foil, then use a cap over the foil?

Thanks!

ETA: i HATE jumping in and out of the shower so im hoping this foil method works!~

I want to try the foil method this weekend... do you apply conditioner, apply the foil, then use a cap over the foil?

Thanks!

ETA: i HATE jumping in and out of the shower so im hoping this foil method works!~

I have never used a cap over the foil,but it shouldn't hurt.
I wrap a big piece all the way around my head and fold down the extra that is sticking up on top.
If it is still not staying,then i just place another piece over the first layer,right where the two ends meet(hope i'm not confusing you). I wrap that and fold the top part down as well.It normally stays in place,and i use a scarf over it if i want to take a nap or something.lol.
Hope it works for you!

No, I don't believe you necessarily have to sit under a Hair Dryer to Deep Condition, but I do believe you have to use the Proper Product to DC with.

The Products that say: for most intense treatment leave on for up to 15 minutes etc..some say 20, some say 30. IMO: That's what makes a Product a DC Treatment.:yep:

I also believe, For Me and My Hair, it responds better to DC'ing with a Heat Source i.e. dryer, steamer or heat cap. Deeper Penetration of Product into the Hair Shaft.:yep:

Anything that says Intensive, Penetrating, Nourishing, Renewing, Deep etc...I personally consider a DC Treatment

I have never used a cap over the foil,but it shouldn't hurt.
I wrap a big piece all the way around my head and fold down the extra that is sticking up on top.
If it is still not staying,then i just place another piece over the first layer,right where the two ends meet(hope i'm not confusing you). I wrap that and fold the top part down as well.It normally stays in place,and i use a scarf over it if i want to take a nap or something.lol.
Hope it works for you!

Thanks, i really appreciate it!:yep:
I'll let you know how it works

wanted to say thanks to everyone here.
i have thanked your posts too.

i'm learning how to care for my own hair so i don't have to see a stylist and i will try the plastic cap method with the hot towel first, then next time around try the overnight method with the foil.

just ordered my solia tourmaline so as soon as it arrives, i'm gonna start too!!! verrry excited!! yay.

i never knew about "deep" conditioning; i just wash (shampoo, condition), blow dry, grease scalp and flat iron! not anymore-- deep condition from here on. very interested in comparing results! :)

thanks again for the tips.

Back