Do you have to blow dry hair straightish before putting in twist extensions?

Lady S

I've decided to try and put kinky twist extensions in by myself. After watching and reading a few tutorials, a lot of them say to blow dry hair out first. But is that necessary? Are your twists going to explode if you don't?

I'm not worried about my hair getting damaged, but I have a lot of 4b hair. It's going to be a huge pain in the butt putting all these twists in, is it necessary to add that extra arm killing step?

I've had braid extensions and you should stretch the hair, but it should be dry. By stretch I mean a light blowdrying that doesn't have to get your hair straight. Because if you straighten your hair before you put the extensions in and then choose to wash your hair later, your hair will shrink and start to show through the twist.

Last edited:
I've had braid extensions all kinds most of my life and you should stretch the hair, but it should be dry. By stretch I mean a light blowdrying that doesn't have to get your hair straight. Because if you straighten your hair before you put the extensions in and then choose to wash your hair later, your hair will shrink and start to show through the twist.

Okay, so we're just mildly stretching the kinks. Do you know what happens if you don't stretch it out? Does it look like a hot mess? Now I'm just being nosey. :grin:

No, don't straigthen my hair out either. I do make sure it is semi damp and then add products with the extensions.

I too would have little hairs sticking out if I did it the other way. I want those hairs to curl around the extensions so they look as authentic as possible. I just make sure they are buttered up good so there is not friction going on between the two.

I used to always blow my hair out prior to senegalese twists but it can definitely be done on wet hair though....for me, after I met and surpassed BSL, when I'm manipulating my hair alot...I'd rather it be done on stretched hair rather then wet hair..to avoid excessive breakage and shedding....once its in, I can go to town with washing and air-drying:yep:

I do pretty much the same thing that mscocoface does. I keep my hair damp, but my sections are very well detangled and put into big braids or banded ponytails to stretch the hair so that if it dries while I'm twisting I don't have to worry about trying to detangle dry hair. Also I always use a butter or lotion to twist with to help moisturize my hair (extensions can be drying especially the kinky twist hair). This is what I do to my hair when I'm doing braid and/or twist extensions and weaves. With twists you do want to add that extra arm killing step (assuming you mean twisting as you go) in order to get twists that wont completely unravel on you.

Back