Do You Have to be Baptized in Order to be Saved?

Great use of scripture to back up the point that water baptism isn't necessary for salvation. Jesus was not baptized until he was grown. Does that mean that he wasn't saved, even though all his life, including his childhood, he knew his purpose and that he was God's son? It is true that Verses 9-16 aren't found in the earliest manuscripts, It was added in. The second part of the verse says that he that does not believe will be damned. There are people who get baptized out of tradition or because someone tells them they have to. If they don't believe in Jesus and repent, then that baptism is just another bath. The water can't save anything. The spirit is where God dwells.

Thank you for adding this!

This debate has been going on in the body of Christ for years. It is simply a trick of the devil to get us divided and confuse and twist Biblical fact with tradition and religious ceremony. I personally believe that any believer who gets water baptized can benefit from it because of the fact that it is an outward show that you are serious about your salvation. Some people even "feel" more "saved" after they are baptized.

So I am thinking about those who might not be members of LHCF and might be reading this thread. I gather from reading the scripture and the responses, that it would be a good idea to be baptized because it's an outward sign of accepting Jesus:

Galatians 3:27 (NIV)

27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

Acts 2:38 (NIV)

38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

The bible teaches that believers who are taught the word of God must be baptized... babies can't be taught, nor can they belive, nor does the bible give any instructions whatsoever on baptizing babies. So I' feel you, I struggle with that too.

Still in there huh? :look:

I don't think anyone talked about Romans 10:9 -

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

This is the key to salvation, and what the "sinner's prayer" is based upon. As others have indicated, there is no "formula to salvation". You must simply believe in your heart and articulate that belief in your own way.

Ephesians 2:8-9 -
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

God bless.

I don't think anyone talked about Romans 10:9 -

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

This is the key to salvation, and what the "sinner's prayer" is based upon. As others have indicated, there is no "formula to salvation". You must simply believe in your heart and articulate that belief in your own way.

Ephesians 2:8-9 -
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

God bless.

Amen and Amen!

Back