Do you get better growth from individual braids, cornrows, twists etc.

fancypants007

I'm curious to know which protective style gives you the most growth. My hair grows like crazy with cornrows. I learned how to braid my own hair (individual) but I don't seem to get that much growth. I'm seriously considering going back to doing my own hair, because I just can't stand the tugging and pulling on my hair when I go to these professional braiders. They seem to be interested only in the style, not your hair health. I have gone to a braiding gallery as well as to people that work out of their homes, and I have the same problem, ISSUES! I went to have my hair cornrowed last saturday with a african lady that works out of her house, and when she finished I looked down at the floor and I couldn't believe how much hair I lost. She told me that my hair tangled at the ends, but my hair is natural..duh. My hair is a little past bra strap and very dense. It's like no matter what I do, to help the situation, blowdry, detangle, etc. these braiders are so rough. I learned how to do my own braids from Robin's website, but I stopped, but now I think for my hair health I have to go back to doing my own hair. All I know is that if I did my hair last weekend, I wouldn't have lost half of my hair. Can you tell I'm still upset. I think I'm going to do my hair in the next 6 weeks with individuals and use MTG and see if I can get just as much growth using this method, instead of the cornrows.

I self braid. I've been braiding my own hair for years. I just recently completed braids (pics in my fotki) this past weekend. I went to the African salon to let them braid a few rows in the back (that gets me started) Then I take my time and complete the rest. You know how the old saying goes..."if you want something done right, do it yourself."
That's what I subscribe to. And nobody will "baby" your hair the way you do. So take your time, do your best job and not only will your hair be beautiful, you'll have bragging rights too. HHG

fancypants007 said:
I'm curious to know which protective style gives you the most growth. My hair grows like crazy with cornrows. I learned how to braid my own hair (individual) but I don't seem to get that much growth. I'm seriously considering going back to doing my own hair, because I just can't stand the tugging and pulling on my hair when I go to these professional braiders. They seem to be interested only in the style, not your hair health. I have gone to a braiding gallery as well as to people that work out of their homes, and I have the same problem, ISSUES! I went to have my hair cornrowed last saturday with a african lady that works out of her house, and when she finished I looked down at the floor and I couldn't believe how much hair I lost. She told me that my hair tangled at the ends, but my hair is natural..duh. My hair is a little past bra strap and very dense. It's like no matter what I do, to help the situation, blowdry, detangle, etc. these braiders are so rough. I learned how to do my own braids from Robin's website, but I stopped, but now I think for my hair health I have to go back to doing my own hair. All I know is that if I did my hair last weekend, I wouldn't have lost half of my hair. Can you tell I'm still upset. I think I'm going to do my hair in the next 6 weeks with individuals and use MTG and see if I can get just as much growth using this method, instead of the cornrows.

I HAD to learn how to do my own braids and twists because 1. I was always broke and 2. if I continued going to those African stylists I would be bald. These videos had great tips and have saved me hundreds of dollars, www.braidsbybreslin.com gives excellent instructions.

I have a short spot in the crown area I had a sew in weave put in the 2nd week of Dec the girl braided straight across sewed in the weave she took it out on Saturday I swear it looked like my hair grew 2 inches so much hair came out after taking my braids apart-- I asked if it was my hair she said "your hair is not that long"( real short and nasty) she refused to put another weave in she lied and said I only told her to take out the weave she did not have time to do it so I left wondering if it's me keep picking these crazy a s hair people--

I took some of my hair that fell on my shoulder home with me and discovered it was my hair very thin weird looking but it was my hair. Oh yea, when she put it in, in Dec it was sooo tight I was in so much pain my scalp hurt so badly that night I swear it felt like pus was coming from my head I put neopos and vaseline and had to try and cut some of the thread to loosen it up why did I go back to that psycho?

Oh well my hair did grow I applied MTG and applied it to my braids under the weave could not use it everyday I hate the smell but my hair grew 1 and a half 2 inches in 5-6 weeks (I think don't hold me to it)my weave was poofed up so high where it was growing out but I lost alot of it after she cut the thread and took the braids apart (crazy bat) I am still mad!! but my hair grew(LOL) after washing and deep conditioning it last night I lost more of it oh well I should have kept my hands out of the new growth I could not stop touching it.

hey fancypants, why don't you go back to cornrows since that's the style in which your hair grew like crazy with...

Individuals always gave me length and cornrows gives me the thickness. But if cornrows makes your hair grow faster why not go back to what works for you.

I find cornrows and twists help me retain growth very well (cause what's the point of your hair growing very fast with the ends breaking off!)
I can moisturize, co-wash and ACV rinse in these styles. My bang area is thriving because I put it in twists and moisturize them daily. They are past my chin now!

All of the above but I must rank them:
1st place: Braids: I can wear these longer, so less manipulation
2nd Place: Cornrows...Depending on how small and how neat, I can get about 2 good weeks...longer if I blow dry or straighten it a bit to stretch it...
3rd Place: Twists. I have to do these more often, but I have been doing this for 4 months and I have gotten about 2-3 inches...I could have more but I wore the twist outs too long and had more breakage.....

After I wear these box braids for a couple months I am going to self braid my hair into individuals for different styles....I can get 1 or so weeks out of it (compared to 2-3 days for twists) and about a week with a braid out....Plus I can style the braid out....

I'm currently in cornrows and I searched high and low for my braider. She was not rough with my hair, and I wasn't in any pain!! I'm going to keep these in for about three weeks if they make it that long. I spot wash with rinseless shampoo every few days and I plan to wash them in the shower with diluted shampoo after two weeks. I hope to retain whatever length I gain!

My growth rate is the same I feel like but I get more thickness/fullness when wearing my hair in twists and braids over periods of time.

I wore braids for one year and removed them in 2007 and I attained about 4/5 inches of new growth. It really helped me grow my hair. Now I'm in braids again, I do them myself, and I intend to wear them, without breaks, for 2 years. I'm hoping to get to shoulder/collarbone by December 2011.

Bumpity bump bump bump! (I love bumping old threads).

I get great length retention with my cornrows under my wig, but I feel like I could access more of my scalp and give better massages if I had little plaits or loose twists. Any thoughts? Which works best for you?

I get great length retention with my cornrows under my wig, but I feel like I could access more of my scalp and give better massages if I had little plaits or loose twists. Any thoughts? Which works best for you?

I don't know why this made me laugh :lachen:

I have always gotten good growth with box braids, but noticed the best with a sew-in weave. Unfortunately the sew in was very bad for my edges and I got a bald spot so it was the first and last sew in I've ever had. :nono:

I had great retention with singles (extensions) but I wear canerows/ cornrows under my wigs. I wanted to try singles on my own hair because I wanted to mimic my experience with extensions, plus I wouldn't have to undo my whole head to neaten, but they seem a little bulky under the wig. My hair isn't even that thick.

Thanks for replying @julzinha and @BlackRinse @DanceOnTheSkylines @AbsyBlvd !!!!

Maybe I can do cornrows around the center and plaits around my edges? I really want to concentrate on increasing my thickness there.

Thoughts?
I currently have a flat twist around my edges and nape havanna twists w/extensions throughout the rest of the hair to relieve the tension off my edges that the extensions could cause. I take the twist down gently with coconut oil when I wash the hair, dc it, let it air dry, and twist it back up.

Sew ins make my hair grow like weeds but I'm natural so I have to use a closure. However, every time I take it out 8 weeks later, my edges are always on some next level sh**t so I stopped wearing weaves unfortunately. I simply don't know how to wear a full weave on my natural hair without losing edges and I don't want to leave out hair because it's just too much manipulation blending it with the curly weave. Besides, if I want a curly weave I'll just wear my own hair. I go to the trouble of a weave for a different look..... sigh.....

Ok. Sounds like i have a plan like yours @DanceOnTheSkylines @AbsyBlvd!!!! Singles around my front edges and bee hive cornrows throughout.

@msbettyboop have you considered a lace/lace front wig? I went from weaves with leave out to closures to wigs. The jump from closures to wigs was the easiest and I've gotten the most growth. Now I can do whatever to my hair underneath with out having to fuss or maneuver around the weave.

Ok. Sounds like i have a plan like yours @DanceOnTheSkylines @AbsyBlvd!!!! Singles around my front edges and bee hive cornrows throughout.

@msbettyboop have you considered a lace/lace front wig? I went from weaves with leave out to closures to wigs. The jump from closures to wigs was the easiest and I've gotten the most growth. Now I can do whatever to my hair underneath with out having to fuss or maneuver around the weave.

@smores, I tried wigs but I never really found a good wig that didn't make me look like a fool. Every wig I ordered was either too small or didn't look right and I live in the Middle East so I can't just return it and it takes a fortune to order as well so.......I looked up custom orders but not sure I feel like paying $300 - $500 for a wig....:(

@smores, I tried wigs but I never really found a good wig that didn't make me look like a fool. Every wig I ordered was either too small or didn't look right and I live in the Middle East so I can't just return it and it takes a fortune to order as well so.......I looked up custom orders but not sure I feel like paying $300 - $500 for a wig....:(

Unfortunately, that price point is about right for a good wig. I only buy mine every 6 months so I consider them an investment and break it down to less than $100 a month. But it still hurts too that big amount come out at one time, but worth it for good wig, IMO.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Try lacewigtrend I got a nice kinky lacefront from there I also bought a yaki straight one which has held up for two years now . I just give it a bleach bath every now and then and it looks spanking new. I got my lacefront i think for 150$ when i bought it and it's 20" or 22" inches w/3" parting. Look up coupon codes. Standard shipping is 25$ ships pretty fast, well at least it did to Canada. Im looking into getting a full lace unit. Their prices are decent. I think people also buy stuff from aliexpress but im scared lol.

Back