Do you blowdry after each wash?

bellebebe

I was just reading the "manipulation vs heat damage" thread and I agree with you ladies. Manipulation is far worst; in fact, that is my number one enemy. In order for my hair to tamed, it has to be blowdried. Air drying just doesn't make combing it easy. So, the question remains; how often do you wash your hair? And do you blowdry on medium heat thereafter? Please a sister out because this will be the key to my progress.

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Also, how can you make sure that all of the shedding is removed post braids?

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

When not weaved up I blowdry every wash (except in the summer when I was co-washing in braids) usually I wait until I'm about 80-85% air dried (in braids) then proceed to blowdry on medium heat.

I wash my hair once a month. After washing, I apply Mane N Tail Conditioner to each section of my hair and use an Andis Ceramic blowdryer with a brush attachment on high heat.

I can't help you with the blow-drying, but I just took down a set of microbraids yesterday and this is how i did it. I took out twenty braids at a time. After I finished removing those twenty braids, I combed through the loose hair with a medium-toothed comb. Then I applied some moisturizing creme and combed through with a fine-toothed comb. After each section was detangled, I braided it to separate it from the rest of my hair. When all the braids were removed and my hair was detangled, I shampooed my hair thoroughly and took down the braids under running water and combed through to make sure all the hair and product buildup had been removed. It worked pretty well. I'm a little more than four months post, if that helps. Now I'm rocking big cornrows under my wig.

I can't help you with blowdrying either since I air dry all the time. However, with removal of shedding after braids make sure your hair is loaded with conditioner or oil, something with slip before you try and remove the tangles/shed hair. Work through your tresses with your fingers first before you pick up a comb or brush. Honestly I like working with brushes when it comes to removing shed hair after having braids in for so long. Wide toothed combs don't seem to take it all out and fine tooth combs are a no-no for my natural hair.

I can't help you with the blow-drying, but I just took down a set of microbraids yesterday and this is how i did it. I took out twenty braids at a time. After I finished removing those twenty braids, I combed through the loose hair with a medium-toothed comb. Then I applied some moisturizing creme and combed through with a fine-toothed comb. After each section was detangled, I braided it to separate it from the rest of my hair. When all the braids were removed and my hair was detangled, I shampooed my hair thoroughly and took down the braids under running water and combed through to make sure all the hair and product buildup had been removed. It worked pretty well. I'm a little more than four months post, if that helps. Now I'm rocking big cornrows under my wig.

This is something I WILL be doing.

I can't help you with blowdrying either since I air dry all the time. However, with removal of shedding after braids make sure your hair is loaded with conditioner or oil, something with slip before you try and remove the tangles/shed hair. Work through your tresses with your fingers first before you pick up a comb or brush. Honestly I like working with brushes when it comes to removing shed hair after having braids in for so long. Wide toothed combs don't seem to take it all out and fine tooth combs are a no-no for my natural hair.

Thank you so very much ladies, I will definitely be incorporating these steps into detangling. I really cannot thank you enough.

I airdry mostly, but if I do blowdry - hair is 80% dry and I've fluffed/smoothed it with my fingers along the way.

I blowdry after every wash, air drying only makes my hair hard to comb. I have had to literally re-wet my hair and blowdry it in order for it to feel and look decent.

Sometimes I think that it is better to blowdry even partially just so my hair is more manageable.

Hi,
I blow dry because air drying doesn't leave my hair smooth enough and increases breakage for me. I wash my hair twice a week and blow dry each time. I just learned that the blow dryer you use can make a huge difference. Ionic and tourmaline keep moisture in better for me. Also use a heat protectant every time and a light oil to lubricate hair strands. I use a comb attachment gently because using a brush is... you guessed it, too much manipulation :-)

I used to when I was wearing my hair straight, and that gave me a minor set back. Now I am swearing off heat for at least 6 months.

iblast my dryer on High but with Low/Cool temp.

thats to prevent heat damage. and ihave a blow dryer with the comb attached so my roots are much straighter and makes flat ironing much easier:grin: compared to just letting it airdry.

Back