Do The Majority Of You Do Your Own Hair????

carolb21

I know that the majority of natural heads do their own hair, but do the ladies that wear weave hair or are relaxed do your own hair? I just noticed in the salon review there are not a lot of updates and/or reviews on salons. I know for a fact that a lot of stylist don't have a clue about healthy hair care and plus they don't care. You would think with the wealth of knowledge on this board, other boards and the Internet they would be more educated.....:cool:

Just wondering......

For the majority of the year, yes I do my own hair. However, I color my hair and get my hair trimmed during those sessions. Those are the days I visit a local salon.

Some days I miss having my hair professionally styled but my hair is 1000 times healthier now than when I went to the salon on a biweekly basis.

Since weave is my protective style, I have to figure out the best way to find a good stylist, because I know I will never find a Reniece in the state of North Carolina and I can't do it myself.......LOL

I was broke in college and doing my own hair was my only option. Then after college I was used to doing some things on my own except a precision hair cut, so I'd go to the salon. Too many times I would leave a salon dissatisfied....so I began cutting my own hair. I could never get my hair cut to perfection, so I simply hid the flaws within layers. Nowadays, I don't have the patience for long waiting, being worked-in, and then leaving the salon unhappy after spending however much money it would cost.

I do my own hair and actually enjoy the process.

Since weave is my protective style, I have to figure out the best way to find a good stylist, because I know I will never find a Reniece in the state of North Carolina and I can't do it myself.......LOL

I only go to the salon to trim or the occasional silk press. I make my own clip ins because full weaves never look natural enough to me. Plus the cost of buying the weave ($300+) then getting it sewed in and styled ($250) every 1.5-2 months (my hair grows fast) that's just WAY too much money when I can just do clip ins and grow my own hair for free

I do but I'm about to go back to the salon because I'm tired. Yeah there are still terrible stylists out there, stylists that are just so stubborn and refuse to listen to all of the info at their fingertips. But there are also people that have taken heed so I will be finding one of those people for my regular salon visits.

I do because I never really need to have my hair "done" for anything. I mostly wear my hair in braids or twists under wigs and I can make my own wigs. I can do my own braid extensions, color, and I only use heat 3-4 times a year.

I may get a professional blow out for my nappivesary in April. I kind of want to go to an Ulta salon. My mom gave them a good review.

Thankfully, the majority of my experiences in the salon have been positive, but I always done my own hair for the most part. When I was relaxed, I would do my own relaxer then get trims or cuts at the salon.

I haven't been to the salon since I've been natural again (almost 18months) and I kind of miss it. Yes I can do my hair myself, but it would be nice not to have to. It would be really nice to find a good stylist I can trust with my hair, but now I am even more particular about their abilities.

I only go to the salon to trim or the occasional silk press. I make my own clip ins because full weaves never look natural enough to me. Plus the cost of buying the weave ($300+) then getting it sewed in and styled ($250) every 1.5-2 months (my hair grows fast) that's just WAY too much money when I can just do clip ins and grow my own hair for free

Yes you are sooo right it is expensive, but the experience of going to a good stylist, relaxing in their chair and knowing you will look good when you leave and your hair will continue to grow and be healthy is priceless. That's the way I feel about Reniece, but my situation with my business, personal crisis and scheduling are not conducive to me taking a day or 2 off to get this done. There are so many of us who cannot do our own hair. I can relax and manage my natural hair, but my daily manipulation was causing damage so I needed to go back to my protective style. When I wear weaves I don't worry about my hair or my look. I keep it moisturizer and take my vitamins, go to yoga, the gym I'm carefree. My hair in the pic is beautiful and Reniece got me there in 2 years but I coudln't maintain it. So back to protective styles and my hair in weaves.

Just like @AbsyBlvd I would love to be able to find someone who is knowledgeable about healthy hair practices and can also trust with my hair.......just for a change

I go to the salon for color and Silk press only... I actually have a very good stylist whose focus is healthy hair but I really don't find it necessary to go on the regular .

ETA

and trims because I don't trust myself lol

Yep! I leave the bigger things to the stylist tho - silk press, colors, trims. Maintenance and care always left to me.

The last two times I let someone do my hair it was to wear braids under a wig, and neither was a very great experience. I have never been tender headed but it seems like it is some people's mission to snatch up every single strand until your soul comes out through your scalp.

In about a month, I will be getting my second sew in ever with no leave out. It is a very short pixie style so I'm using Styleseat.com to find someone affordable n my area and I'm going to be very specific about them leaving out my edges. I rather do more work geling them down than have them braided and break off.

In between crochet braid styles I do my own hair. I take them out and do my own hair for 2 - 4 weeks so I can try new products, get a blowout (or do my own blowout) and get a trim (salon).

Yes you are sooo right it is expensive, but the experience of going to a good stylist, relaxing in their chair and knowing you will look good when you leave and your hair will continue to grow and be healthy is priceless. That's the way I feel about Reniece, but my situation with my business, personal crisis and scheduling are not conducive to me taking a day or 2 off to get this done. There are so many of us who cannot do our own hair. I can relax and manage my natural hair, but my daily manipulation was causing damage so I needed to go back to my protective style. When I wear weaves I don't worry about my hair or my look. I keep it moisturizer and take my vitamins, go to yoga, the gym I'm carefree. My hair in the pic is beautiful and Reniece got me there in 2 years but I coudln't maintain it. So back to protective styles and my hair in weaves.

Just like @AbsyBlvd I would love to be able to find someone who is knowledgeable about healthy hair practices and can also trust with my hair.......just for a change

The stylist can only make it look good for a day or two. After that the styling is up to you and for that price you better style my hair every 2 days while I got it in lol

I do my own hair. I've been doing my own hair for the past 3-4yrs. I've done my own hair as a relaxed and natural head. However this May, I will be going to the salon to get my hair dyed.

I'm mostly a DIYer but I do go to the local Paul Mitchell beauty school for a shampoo/blow dry once in a while.

I did my own hair when I was in college because I didn't have the money to see a professional stylist on a regular basis. The results were breakage, unhealthy edges and hair that rarely looked good. Once I graduated and was making enough money to get my hair done on a regular basis I found someone who could do it. I remember the first time that person did my hair he said, "Your hair is too pretty for you to neglect it the way that you do." Those words stuck with me and from that point on I made it a priority to get my hair done. I'm style challenged. Its like my hands are cursed. My hair thrives under the supervision of an experienced, licensed, professional stylist. I wish could maintain healthy hair on my own but I struggle. I've been a member of this board for several years and I still struggle. Doing hair is not my gift.

I would LOVE to have a stylist but my student status coupled with the fact that I live in a predominantly white city means I'm a DIY-er. My hair is definitely healthier in my own hands than in the hands of many of the stylists I have seen in the past but when I'm further along in my career with disposable income I would love to pass this chore off to someone else (with Reniece capabilities).

I pretty much do my own hair. A good friend of mine is a hair stylist who specializes in hair cuts /color on all hair textures…so i depend on him for major hair cuts. I don't color my hair but if I do in the future I will be calling him as well.

After getting major damage from being over-processed I started doing my hair myself in 2012. I wish I could find a stylist who cared about my hair as much as I do but for now I do it all myself. I may go to get a good trim in the near future.

Back