Do rollersets cause too much breakage?

yodie

I just got the hang of rollersets and I have fallen deep in LOVE with mesh rollers, BUT....

seems like my hair pulls out more when I wet set. I switch back and forth between a big and small tooth comb. Yep, more hair comes out when I use the small tooth comb.

I'm thinking that rollersetting, although healthier, is too costly.
I need every strand that I have.

Any thoughts on this?

probably not. sometimes I start out with the small tooth comb.

Anybody else use a small tooth comb? the rat-tail kind? sounds like its time to switch the comb.

Anybody else use a small tooth comb? the rat-tail kind? sounds like its time to switch the comb.
I only use a wide-toothed comb for rollersetting (and everything else). I have not experienced hair breakage from rollersetting. :)

:perplexedthis happens w/ me too: i notice the more new growth I have the harder I have to pull the comb: and in the back where its curly (4a) I realize my relaxed strands snap at my new growth: in the front (3b) i don't have this problem wats so ever: :nono:

No detangling with that fine-tooth comb, ladies. That is a no-no.

Use a wide-tooth comb to detangle; if you want smooth sets, use the tail part of the comb to section the hair, and the fine-tooth part to smooth each section before rolling. Good luck

I did not experience breakage from rollersets. Co-signing with everyone else to detangle first with large comb. I usually rollerset with a creamy leave-in, water and large comb. Very very rarely special occasions when I have a lot of new growth that I want to get bone straight, I go the extra mile:

1. section hair for rolling
2. comb section with large comb
3. comb section again using rat tail comb
4. roll and clip

A litte more time, zero breakage.

No detangling with that fine-tooth comb, ladies. That is a no-no.

Use a wide-tooth comb to detangle; if you want smooth sets, use the tail part of the comb to section the hair, and the fine-tooth part to smooth each section before rolling. Good luck

This is exactly what I do. I first detangle my hair completely and then I go on to rollerset. By the time I use the fine tooth comb to smooth the hair on the roller, there is barely any hair in the fine tooth comb. Always detangle first with the wide tooth comb.

Last edited:
Just adding - I notice too that when I use the wrong kind of fine tooth - cheaper ones (you know the ones I mean...the kind you get 100 for a $1 at the Asian BS :grin: ) - even then I get breakage if I'm not careful. I think the issue is the construction. It doesn't have to be seamless (although those are nice) but the less raggedy that seam is, the better.

As you're making the switch, try to get the best fine toothed combs you can afford, and hang onto them. ;)

I rollerset and airdry on a weekly basis, using a wide-toothed comb. I use the tail of the rat-tailed comb for parting my hair only. I have no problem with breakage.

I used to and it damaged my hair. I first detangle with a Shower Comb, than I use a smaller toothed comb (not the rat tail kind though) before I place each roller.

:perplexedthis happens w/ me too: i notice the more new growth I have the harder I have to pull the comb: and in the back where its curly (4a) I realize my relaxed strands snap at my new growth: in the front (3b) i don't have this problem wats so ever: :nono:

I'm trying to stretch my relaxer 12 weeks. I'm 9 weeks now and I'm gonna get a touch up. I think the new growth is tangling with the relaxed strands and this is causing the matting/breakage.

Guess I can't stretch for 12 weeks anymore

I rollerset every week with no problem. I make sure to detangle first with a large tooth comb then use a rat tail comb to smooth each piece before I roll. I did notice when I used a cheap rat tail comb from the local BBS my hair would get snagged in the comb at the seam. Since I bought one of the more expensive seamless ones from Sally's I haven't had that problem. HTH

I did not experience breakage from rollersets. Co-signing with everyone else to detangle first with large comb. I usually rollerset with a creamy leave-in, water and large comb. Very very rarely special occasions when I have a lot of new growth that I want to get bone straight, I go the extra mile:

1. section hair for rolling
2. comb section with large comb
3. comb section again using rat tail comb
4. roll and clip

A litte more time, zero breakage.
This also goes for me. Sometimes I use the raittail to smooth each section because I only comb teice a week, and I want to ensure that I am getting every shed hair out, but even then, I get no breakage. Not even shedding now that I think about it:ohwell:

Are you using the hard mesh rollers or the wire ones?

I am asking because I have the hard mesh ones and my wet hair goes onto the roller just fine, but after it is dry, the roller pulls and snags my hair as I remove it. I tried it again with a roller paper and it did not do this.

I was trying to skip that step, but I see now that I have to use papers with those rollers.

This is exactly what I do. I first detangle my hair completely and then I go on to rollerset. By the time I use the fine tooth comb to smooth the hair on the roller, there is barely any hair in the fine tooth comb. Always detangle first with the wide tooth comb.

This is what I do too. This is really the only method that works for me.

I am asking because I have the hard mesh ones and my wet hair goes onto the roller just fine, but after it is dry, the roller pulls and snags my hair as I remove it. I tried it again with a roller paper and it did not do this.

I was trying to skip that step, but I see now that I have to use papers with those rollers.

I use the soft mesh rollers.
I don't comb my hair during the week. I wear one of those curly styles and just run my fingers thru it. could it be that the sheded hair is getting tangled when i wash?

I agree with the ladies who suggested to detangle with a wide tooth comb and then follow with the rat tail comb. I dont get breakage either, and rollersets are the only way I dry my hair.

I use magnetic rollers. I've never used mesh rollers cuz they all seem to have that "brush" surface which scares me . . .

This is what I was going to say:yep:. You can tear your hair up and literally out by trying to detangle with that fine tooth comb. Treat your hair like fine silk all of the time.

I use magnetic rollers. I've never used mesh rollers cuz they all seem to have that "brush" surface which scares me . . .

I've seen those type of rollers. Those sound like velcro rollers. I use the actual mesh ones. I brush comes inside, but I throw that away.

I've seen those type of rollers. Those sound like velcro rollers. I use the actual mesh ones. I brush comes inside, but I throw that away.

And some don"t have a brush. I bought a set that does not have the brush.

I can't use them though.:nono: Can't get them tight enough to get my hair straight.

I have good luck with the hard mesh rollers and pins:

yhst-2519492840586_1960_110998045

But, I have to use roller papers with them.

Back