Do product lines like Aveda=Dominican?

pistachio

I ask because Aveda seems to be natural, and organic(I think), and Dominican products are said be the same(but ALOT cheaper in price). I think this may be part of the reason Dominican products(especially the conditioners) are so popular. One lady on hear said that the Dominacn salon she went to even used the Aveda nourishing concentrate on her. I wanna know if anyone has had about the same experience with Aveda as they did with Dom. products???

My regimen consist of Aveda DR line and Dom. And I can honestly say that I get the same results. I love both, so I alternate. I actually use the Dom products more. I wash on Wed and Sat. I use my Aveda line every other Sat. It's what I call my "salon home treatment". When I use Aveda, I use Aveda all the way. When I first started using the Dom products, I was not sold on the poos (Nacidit Olive Oil), but I loved all of the cond that I tried. JenniferMD suggested Nacidit Wheat Germ poo and I love it! I have since revisited Nacicit Olive Oil poo, so I think it is a keeper. So I plan to stick with these two poos along with my Aveda. If I could not get my hands on Aveda, I would probably go all the way Dom with the exception of my protein treatments and styling aids.

We have no dom. salons here in Louisville(that i know of anyway), and aveda products seem like they work well for the dom. product users. Sure, I can order online, but why pay shipping?? Are there any donm. products that are VERY similar to what someone could find in a store or an American salon??

I dont think they're too comparable. I dttn use many dominican products because most seem to be laden with mineral oil and petroleum and have very minimal amounts of the ingredient they advertise in it.. for example, Nacidit Avocado condit has advocado oil as the second to last ingredient and petrolatum and thickening alcohols make up the majority of the conditioner...

Thats just my personal observation tho... to me the dominican conditioners are more for surface conditioning and aveda offers deeper conditioning. I'm not knocking dominican conditioners tho, i find that drugstore brand yield almost identical (if not better) results. The only dominican product i use consistently is lacio lacio.. and i love it!

beana said:
I dont think they're too comparable. I dttn use many dominican products because most seem to be laden with mineral oil and petroleum and have very minimal amounts of the ingredient they advertise in it.. for example, Nacidit Avocado condit has advocado oil as the second to last ingredient and petrolatum and thickening alcohols make up the majority of the conditioner...

Thats just my personal observation tho... to me the dominican conditioners are more for surface conditioning and aveda offers deeper conditioning. I'm not knocking dominican conditioners tho, i find that drugstore brand yield almost identical (if not better) results. The only dominican product i use consistently is lacio lacio.. and i love it!

yeah, this is pretty much what i was about to say

beana said:

Really? I always thought it was the opposite, and the reason why many seemed to flock to Dom. products. I've never bought, nor tried Dom. products, so I don't know which are more natural and good for your hair. Does lacio lacio have the natural, good ingredients??

beana said:

Dominican products don't list ingredients in order of the percentage that they make up in the product.

SvelteVelvet said:
Dominican products don't list ingredients in order of the percentage that they make up in the product.

I'm not sure if thats the rule of thumb as far as the ingredients are concerned, the majority of them do list their ingredients in order. Ive talked to quite a few dominican hair stylists who have confirmed this and have actually pointed me into the direction of more "recognized" salon products. Just like we have synthetic brands/products they do too... Some of their conditioners are more natural than others, just like our mainstream products are.

not being funny or anything, but i grew up in the bronx around mostly dominicans and a few puerto ricans... so dominican hair products were all i knew. I haven't used them all, but ive used a good amount and what i can say is that most dominican condits do an excellent job at smoothing the hair. I'm not sure how beneficial they are at profound conditioning.

beana said:

I agree 100%... and I also use lacio lacio leave in consistently.

I'm not sure if thats the rule of thumb as far as the ingredients are concerned, the majority of them do list their ingredients in order. Ive talked to quite a few dominican hair stylists who have confirmed this and have actually pointed me into the direction of more "recognized" salon products. Just like we have synthetic brands/products they do too... Some of their conditioners are more natural than others, just like our mainstream products are.

not being funny or anything, but i grew up in the bronx around mostly dominicans and a few puerto ricans... so dominican hair products were all i knew. I haven't used them all, but ive used a good amount and what i can say is that most dominican condits do an excellent job at smoothing the hair. I'm not sure how beneficial they are at profound conditioning.

Interesting. And all this time, I thought that Dominican products were the gold standard.

Back