Do most natural where you live at wear out styles of PS?

Fhrizzball

While I can appreciate nice fros, wng's, shingles, and etc...

I get really excited when I see a lovely set of twists or other protective styles because I don't really see that at my college. Most naturals I know either wear out styles or press their hair. They do it non stop too but when I ask how they're able to wear their hair like that consecutively they get secretive most times. Maybe the ones I ask are sporting sew-in's...?

Anyways are the naturals where you live wear mostly out styles or protective ones?

On the contrary I see alot of brothers wear protective styles or loc's but I get psyched when they wear loose hair that's a twa or bigger.

I see ALL kinds here in NYC twists/twist-outs, braids/ braid-outs, ALOT of BAA's & twa's, and bantu knot outs seem to be the transitioners style of choice here on my campus they get very inventive and creative here:yep:

The best areas for spotting naturals all over are the yuppie areas of brooklyn and the prime areas of manhattan. I get alot of ideas just walking down the street at times.

Last edited:
Mmh..I am in Germany and I wear twists or my fro or afro puff 90%----10% a wig when I don't "make" time to do my hair.

I'm in Florida and I wear my hair in protective styles most of the time(my hair is out about 6-8 days per month), I have noticed that most naturals in my area wear their natural hair out.

I love protective styles they're convenient for me.

I tend to see more wash n go's than protective styles. Then again I'm on the train going to work. Maybe it would be different if I went to a college campus. I'm usually in a bun or ponytail.

I am in DC area
I see a lot of twist and twa's with a headband.
but mostly wigs, weaves, and braids around this area so no telling what going on under the hair piece

I notice natural hair when its worn out. I rarely see "natural" looking PSs out here in cali. And honestly when I see a natural weave my first thought is not to think that they are natural too and are using to weave as a protective style.

All of my aunts wear protective styles, always have. They're all over 55 though.

I noticed that my cousins who are younger wear their hair out more but they don't have hair as long as my aunts.

I live in Toronto, Canada and I rarely see women who have natural hair in protective styles. They mostly wear their hair loose. I personally am bunning my hair I started last week for the winter months and I must say I think im seeing more improvements....(hope I did not just jinx anything)

I wear my hair how I feel that particular week. Sometimes it's in a protective style, but that's only for convenience. This winter, I'm taking advantage of the cooler temps and wearing it straight mostly. But over the summer I did buns, puffs, and sometimes WnGs.

But where I live I see most naturals with their hair out curly or flat ironed straight. Sometimes I'll see someone rocking 2 strand twists.

Where i live, most naturals wear puffs, braids or twists.

I rarely see afros, wash n go's, braidouts or twistouts.

Nope. I rarely sees PS. Most of the naturals around her wear it out or straight.

If my braidout is touching my collar in the back, it's not a protective style anymore, is it?

I swear that all this stuff is too hard until your hair is several inches below the shoulder.

I can't get an acceptable looking bun unless I use heat.

where i live, the dmv, most naturals i see wear out styles. im talking afros and twa styles. there is this one lady that wears different styles. she wears what looks like w&g, pressed, exstention braids and now she has a beautiful weave with bangs. her hair always looks nice. i think she is a 4a because her curl are very defined but are small like coffee stirers(sp?).

This is a great and thought-provoking thread. I do see a lot of naturals now, but I rarely see PSing. I see wash-n-gos and lots of pulled-back puffs. It frustrates me because I think that the natural trend is happening in a good way, but then I see so many people with the same kinds of bad hair practices that they had before the bc or transisition. I don't understand it.

Today, I saw a lady with natural hair who attends my church. Honestly, I think she has beautiful 4b hair with nice, tight coils, but she clearly has not gotten the moisture/protein thing down yet. Her hair looked sooooo thirsty...

I got a close look when she hugged me and saw SSK's all over her ends. I kind of asked her about them...if she knew about them or had ever experienced them. She said she had not. I was blown away by the fact that she didn't know SSK's were in her hair, but then again, I didn't know either the first time I was natural. I recall feeling these little "bumps" but I didn't know what they were, and I didn't pay them real attention.

So...yes, many naturals wear "out" styles and it bugs the mess out of me because they clearly don't care too much about growth or maybe they are just not informed. :perplexed:perplexed:perplexed

I love seeing natural hair, but I would love seeing it more if there were good practices attached to it....meh...maybe I am too strict because I belong to this forum? *shrug* I dunno....

subscribing...

cj

Oh man... what the HECK is an SSK?????

Sorry about that. Single Strand Knot... :yep:

ETA...they coil around the hair and create more knots...usually starting at the lower parts of the strands and then move up. Eventually, the only way to get rid of them is to dust or search and destroy. 4's never want them to get too bad because they hinder retention....

Last edited:
So...yes, many naturals wear "out" styles and it bugs the mess out of me because they clearly don't care too much about growth or maybe they are just not informed. :perplexed:perplexed:perplexed

I love seeing natural hair, but I would love seeing it more if there were good practices attached to it....meh...maybe I am too strict because I belong to this forum? *shrug* I dunno....

subscribing...

cj

So if everyone could chime in for knowledge sake, what are good practices concerning natural hair?I'd really like to know now that I'm actually wearing my texture instead of using heat.What are the do's and don'ts concerning detangling,what kind of moisturizer should I use, how often should I comb, should my hair be in protective styles the majority of the time? Please share with me your good practices.

Oh man... what the HECK is an SSK?????

I'd like to know too..

So if everyone could chime in for knowledge sake, what are good practices concerning natural hair?I'd really like to know now that I'm actually wearing my texture instead of using heat.What are the do's and don'ts concerning detangling,what kind of moisturizer should I use, how often should I comb, should my hair be in protective styles the majority of the time? Please share with me your good practices.

I'd like to know too..

SSK is a single strand knot. I think the basics are to treat your hair as delicately as you did when transitioning. Yes, natural hair is stronger...but that doesn't mean it can take everything.

Moisture is HUGE!
Protein balance with moisture is HUGE!

If you are trying to grow some long hair, protective styles are also a big deal.

I will post my regimen , but before I do, know the following:

(1) I have no breakage. No little bits of hair fall out of my head at any time.
(2) My shedding is normal, and once I remove shed hairs during wash and condition, I have no issues with undue shedding.
(3) I have NO splits at all.
(4) I don't use heat for styling at all. I only used heat to length check. (I will wear my hair straight this Christmas so that I have no SSK's to worry about as I style for the holidays, but that's it until March 2010, which is my 1 year anniversary and I have to length check again...)

Regimen

• 4a/b hair. Neck length now with some pieces at my shoulders. EL in March when I BC

• Wash once a week (approximately) mostly using moisturizing shampoos. Co-washing does not work for me.
  • I detangle in the shower only under running water and with loads of conditioner.
  • I protein or PC once a month.
  • My scalp and hair like bentonite clay. I will probably do this once every other month or so.
  • MT and Aloe Vera gel on scalp between washes
  • I wear twists and twist-outs exclusively for protective styling. Once I am APL, I night start to vary and enjoy my hair more...but for now, I am having a LOT of fun!!!
  • For moisture, I use a shea and cocoa butter mix exclusively. I also use Castor oil (Wal Mart's brand) for sheen. It's great. I just pat it on my hair 2 times a week.
  • I sleep in a satin bonnet EVERY NIGHT. No exceptions since March 2009. I recall the last time I was natural, and I didn't have a bonnet. My hair grew, but it was VERY uneven from lack of nighttime protection.
I am seriously LOW and NO mani!! No combing except on wash day, and I don't even comb when twisting, thanks to RusticBeauty on YouTube...she is 4b and I am 4a/b, but her hair reminds me of mine most of the time...I just don't have as many detangling concerns...

In all, I spend maybe 3 hours a week on my hair, and most of that is on wash day. For a fresh look daily, I wet my hands and rub twisted hair and make the twists lay down again to start my day. Easy peasy.

For me, the bottom line is to NOT have my hair rubbing clothing or my pillows and maintain moisture. That's it. Keeping it simple and learning the protein and moisture balance your hair needs seems to be how most of the long-haired women on this board got to be that way.
My regimen does not alter much unless the length dictates that I change...so far, so good...

I hope this has helped! :yep:

HHG to all of us!

cj
"Trying for APL, Dec, 2010!!!"

Last edited:

Natural hair can vary by person, even hair types. I usually have my hair in a protective style. To answer your question, this is what I do:

• I do monthly search and destroys. I just go through my hair in sections and clip off any single strand knots or split ends with my scissors.
  • I only detangle my hair in its natural state when its saturated in conditioner and wet. I use very little shampoo because my hair is dry. I deep condition 1x a week in the winter.
  • I use a large tooth comb to detangle then follow up with a Denman brush
  • I don't use hair grease. I use shea butter or some type of butter.
  • I do leave my hair down, but at night time I always put it in a loose bun and pin it up with bobby pins. I also apply either shea butter or jojoba oil to my hair before going to sleep.
  • You don't have to leave it in a protective style all the time, but just keep in mind that you will retain more length if you do. My natural hair is usually in a bun or ponytail. Wash and go's are only for the weekend.

Again this works for me. Natural hair isn't a one size fits all. If you PM me I can give you some names of brands I use.

I'm in Los Angeles and as far as natural styles go I see alot of sisterlocks on ladies and Lil Wayne-esque locs on men. More times than not, if I see natural hair it's locked.

When I do see loose haired naturals they tend to be fro'd/blown out. Big hair isn't that shocking here. I rarely see twistouts/braid outs or even puffs for that matter.

I got a close look when she hugged me and saw SSK's all over her ends. I kind of asked her about them...if she knew about them or had ever experienced them. She said she had not. I was blown away by the fact that she didn't know SSK's were in her hair, but then again, I didn't know either the first time I was natural. I recall feeling these little "bumps" but I didn't know what they were, and I didn't pay them real attention.

A lot of naturals say that they don't notice their ssk's but I don't think they realize that other people can see them clear as day.

A lot of naturals say that they don't notice their ssk's but I don't think they realize that other people can see them clear as day.

Yeah...I didn't notice my own. Rather, I did notice them, but I didn't think they meant anything at the time. This is 8-11 years ago. I don't know what resources were available then, but I could not find them...

My mom told me I should do a class based on what I have learned here...and might....but I would not charge.

SSK's are the enemy! lol

BostonMaria, I LOVE your regimen. I might start doing search and destroys every month as well....

cj

Most of the natural hair I see is either locked, twisted or braided. I'm one of the very few naturals I know that wears her hair loose.

Yay, my thread got popular!

Yes, many of the loose naturals I see have hair that is sooo thirsty. And while there are so many naturals around they still use bad practices that some relaxed are known for doing.

The main thing for me for good hair practices is trimming though many here don't agree with it. Don't do it too often though. Moisture and protecting one's ends is another must. I'm sure if you look in the search forums there will be loads of threads on this topic.

The newbie challenge is the opportunity new naturals or new members can take advantage of to start healthy hair practices too. Just trust your gut...

Here, the population is very mixed among students (in terms of people's original geographic locations), but most naturals I see rotate between various forms of wearing their hair down and/or straightened.

A friend got into single strand twists for a min last year but quickly gave them up.

Not many naturals protective style hear beyond pulling the hair back (bun, clip, ponytail) here. A few I know wear weaves.

Back