Do I REALLY need a leave-in if I'm blowdrying and flat-iron my hair?

ellebelle88

Ok, so I dont know if many of you all remember the post I had a couple weeks back about the ends of my hair being hard and stiff when I flat-ironed. I finally realized that part of that problem had to do with the leave-in conditioner that I was using. I tried washing my hair this past weekend without a leave-in and it was silky smooth and sleek! I was amazed because my hair never looks like that after I blowdry and flat-iron, and now I contribute it to my leave-in being the dilemma.

So my question is, do I really need a leave-in conditioner if I'm just going to blowdry and flat-iron? It does help with the detangling process, but as far as moisture it really doesn't seem to make any difference to me. It just seems to be weighing my hair down. Now, of course when I do my twistouts, its a different story....I love using a leave-in.

But does everyone on here use a leave-in when they know they are going to flat-iron their hair? Or do not all leave-ins weigh the hair down?

Last edited:
I'd highly recommend it considering you are using a double heat process to straighten. Maybe you just need to experiment with the TYPE of leave in you use. HTH.

When I flat iron I use aphogee green tea restructurizer and aphogee pro-vitamin leave plus a little chi silk infusion. My hair is never weighed down and I have swang!

I think first you should make sure you're using a really good deep conditioner so that way your strands are moisturized before you use the heat.

As far as a leave in, a lot of people are having great success with using the aphogee green tea keratin spray and then a heat protectant. They've gotten silky smooth results. So you may want to try that.

Here's one of the threads...I know there's another one out there though from the last week.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=405992

I don't particularly like using a creamy leave in when I am going to blow dry and flat iron either; my strands are fine and this tends to weigh them down.

Infusium 23 is a good liquid leave in that I have used in the past, along with Nioxin thermal bliss, which is a thermal heat protectant in the form of a liquid spray.

HTH

BB

I think first you should make sure you're using a really good deep conditioner so that way your strands are moisturized before you use the heat.

As far as a leave in, a lot of people are having great success with using the aphogee green tea keratin spray and then a heat protectant. They've gotten silky smooth results. So you may want to try that.

Here's one of the threads...I know there's another one out there though from the last week.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=405992

Oh wow, thanks! I'm gonna try this combo.

Yes. Either I use Chi Silk Infusion or Redken HeatGlide (use this one in small amount)

I use both of those, but they are considered heat protectants not leave-ins.

I have med-coarse hair. I use salerm 21 leave in, air dry to 80% , apply my silk serum, blow dry, then apply more serum and flat iron. My hair is always silky after blow drying and flat ironing with this method.
The results: shiny, bouncy and voluminous hair!

I have the aphogee spray and i don't like it at all. I tried it again for the second time (just to make sure) and it took away from the volume

Oh wow, thanks! I'm gonna try this combo.

I use both of those, but they are considered heat protectants not leave-ins.
I use them while my hair is damp and after its dry. It works wonders on my hair:yep: I don't use anything else.

i would skip the creamy leave-ins and opt for watery ones like aphogee green tea or aphogee provitamin leave-in, then spray on my heat protectant, then apply serum. it was easy to detangle my hair, and it left me with soft flowy hair rather than hard and stiff.

I always use a leave in and don't have any issues, guess it depends on what your using. salerm treatment for ends is a good leave in and has the heat protectant capabilities as well, also comes out nice once you flat iron nice sleek and smooth.
there are others john frieda etc.

I think the serums are best.

Back