do I have to cut my hair?

Kalesha

I'm a 4a/b about 2.5-3 months post relaxer and now I have braids I have decided to keep getting braids for the next 6-9 months but will I have to cut all my old relaxed hair when I start relaxing again? <font color="red"> </font>

when you say 6 to 9 months, are you getting the whole head redone like every 2 months, deep conditioning, detangling, and then putting it back up? Or are you going 6 to 9 months non-stop?

you will have some serious new growth, it would probably be difficult to retouch again, shoot it would probably be like relaxing all over again for the first time. If you care for the braids properly you should have at least 4-6 inches of growth and that's on the low scale. Maybe you should relax after the 5 month mark. That's 20 weeks. Unless you plan to go natural.

I'm doing the Crown and Glory technique (www.growafrohairlong.com) and I was planning to get mine permed after 1 month of taking out the braids and waiting another month to put them back in. But she updated her site and said you can wait as little as 2 weeks to put the braids back in. So, I've modified my regimen to wait 1 month after taking braids out to put them back in w/out doing a relaxer. I thought about it and thats $65 worth of relaxer that no one will see when it's in braids. So i'm just going to wait until my hair get to my desired length and relaxed it then.
I don't think you will have to cut off the old relaxer unless the hair was really damaged b4 you put the braids in. The hair lady didnt have to cut her hair, and I don't plan on cutting mine. My hair was trimmed before i put the briads in and is in good condition.
happy growing

that's actually what I want to do too because I don't feel like payin all that money for a relaxer then going to spend more money to put braids in and no one will see the relaxer anyway.

i did my hair the way mskibibi plans to, except i waited two weeks between braids. i didn't relax at all while weaing braids. i wore them for eight months. my hair was in good condition without cutting any of it. but like mskibibi said, it was in good condition before the braids. that's the determining factor IMO...
smile.gif

Back