Do anyone wear Strawsets??

MizaniMami

I want to get itno them this summer because I think they are so cute for the summer/spring. How do you upkeep them??? And how long do you leave them in?

I had one last summer. it's similar to a braid out except less work. I just wrapped a silk/satin scarf around my head at bed time then fluffed the curls in the morning. I wore it for about four or five days. It'll last longer (a week or so), I just like to wash my hair often. It's a very cute and extremely low mantenience style.

Kristenxdollface said:
I had one last summer. it's similar to a braid out except less work. I just wrapped a silk/satin scarf around my head at bed time then fluffed the curls in the morning. I wore it for about four or five days. It'll last longer (a week or so), I just like to wash my hair often. It's a very cute and extremely low mantenience style.

Thanks for replying! I can't wait to try it out

I don't think you have to use gel though? I want to try this style but don't have the patience to let it dry. Besides it would probably take all of forever to set my hair on those straws.

I used to do this often. First I wash my hair and apply Elasta QP silk. Then I take sections of my hair and wrap it around the straw and secure with a bobby pin. I try to put as much hair on the straw as possible to minimize the work. Then once the whole head is done, I let it airdry. Then I take the straws out and put oil sheen on for shine. I leave the curls as they are (If your hair is not thick this might not work for you). I wear it this way for two-three days applying oil sheen in the morning for shine. Then on day four I pick the curls to make them fuller. Then I wear it this way for up to two weeks. At night i do not wear a scarf I just use a satin pillow or I am ghetto and wrap my scarf around my pillow. In the morning I just fluff and go. I wear this style less now b/c I like to wash often. HTH.

I did my first straw set on Saturday night, slept on it and let it dry. :) I just pin the front and sides up at night so that they don't get smushed too much. So far, so good. :)

I was just thinking about this today because I been wanting this style for awhile now. Does anyone have pictorial instructions on doing this? It seems like it would time consuming.

sky_blu said:
I was just thinking about this today because I been wanting this style for awhile now. Does anyone have pictorial instructions on doing this? It seems like it would time consuming.

not only will it take too long, but most salons refuse to do it on people with long and/or thick hair .. at one point that used to be my summertime spring style until i continuously ran into salons that just wouldnt do it for me or would charge too much .. i'd like to know how to do it as well, because i have since resorted to using really small rods (the smallest i can find in the store) but it doesnt achieve the same look to me :ohwell:

i had this done about 3 years back. i love the wa it looked and it was easy to keep. this was when i was relaxed. the hairdresser did use freeze gel and i didnt realy like the way it felt hard. if i did it now i wouldnt use ge i would have to find someting softer.

vivadiva85 said:
not only will it take too long, but most salons refuse to do it on people with long and/or thick hair .. at one point that used to be my summertime spring style until i continuously ran into salons that just wouldnt do it for me or would charge too much .. i'd like to know how to do it as well, because i have since resorted to using really small rods (the smallest i can find in the store) but it doesnt achieve the same look to me :ohwell:

well ain't that the damn truth! :mad: i once asked this one man who was doing my hair to just put some damn rollers in my hair and because my hair is thick and long he straightened it WITHOUT my knowledge....i KNOW i'd have to attempt strawsets alone because a lot of people don't want to log the manhours trying to wrap hair on a straw...i think small perm rods (the pink ones if im not mistaken) give the same effect as straws but is a bit less tedious.....

its all a damn shame to me because thats how i want to permanently wear my hair until i can chop of all my relaxed ends....and honestly? its not even worth it for salon prices today...it cost me $50 for a shampoo+cornrows (with no design) not including tip....:ohwell: best to do it yourself that way you dont have to hear anybodys mouth or anybody mumbling curses under their breath...:grin:

I have done them on friends' hair in the past that is long and thick. It comes out great. One friend wore it for 2 weeks and it always looked good. Strawsets are funny they tend to look better with as they
"age"!

Anyway I'm going to be doing one next week i think. I'll post pics.

I use the flexirods, you can find them in target. Paul mitchel foaming pomade is good for a light hold and shine. My question is how do you keep it looking good? I mean I put a bonnet on at nite and the side I sleep on is smushed, not cute at all. Help, I can do these put can't keep it more than 3 days, that is not enough seeing how much work this is...

itismehmmkay said:
Bumping....

yeah, how do you all maintain them. My curls tend to get smushed, too.

You can better maintain these by using lottabody setting lotion that is lightly diluted. Your hair will hold the curl better. Your hair won't be soft in the beginning, but it will become soft day by day. Also, don't try to put too much hair on the straws/rods, this will make the curls drop faster.

My hair is at APL and when I did this to my hair, I used the blue rods and my hair lasted 2 weeks. My hair was up to my ears (curled) and didn't even drop an inch. It could of lasted longer, but not shampooing for two weeks started driving me crazy. :perplexed

Make sure that you deep condition before doing this, because the setting lotion can become drying to some.

Another good tip is before you put your satin bonnet on at night, put a hair net on your hair first (one of those cheapies that are like 50 cents), this allows your hair to stay in place under the bonnet. I've use this techniqu with every set and it has never failed me.:D

HTH:)

I HAD ONE BEFORE, BUT IT WAS REALLY PRETTY IT GOT TANGLED REAL BAD SO I WONT GET ANOTHER TO MUCH TROUBLE AND I HATE SITTING UNDER THE DRYER FOR HOURS..........:mad:

I got up enough nerve to get all them dang straws and quit. My hair is too dang thick. It would have taken forever, but the set is soooo cute!

Yeah, I plan to just set my hair w/ these perm rods:

CUR-HAI107.jpg

I'm thinking that I may have to re-roll the my nape and sides every night b/c I just know that they will get smashed and not look cute :nono: The top I feel pretty confident about.

i said earlier that i had this done when i was relaxed... BUT i forgot to say while transitioning i also used this as my everyday style. it was good for hiding the roots and gave a curly texture to my relaxed ends!

*i didnt use gel i used sunsilk-( cant remember which bottle worked best, iv tried orange, purple & green)

*i used permrods. i plaited them part way down and then very loosely twisted the rest.

* i didnt always do this on wet hair- i just did it at night and used a nice amount of product. in the morning my hair would be full of curls!

*it made my hair look much shorter- i would sometimes wear a head band or pretty earrings to spice it up lol

sorry its not straight!
picpic-th.jpg

see the roots trying peeking out...

picpic2-th.jpg

i haven t=done it as a natural head but i think i will this week.

I love strawsets, but I haven't had one in years. I have way too much hair and way too little patience to do them oten. Besides that, they take FOREVER to dry. I used to leave mine in for 1.5-2 weeks. At night, I'd just put a silk bonnet over it and in the morning, I would finger comb the coils and fluff them, then I was out the door. I was in love with the ease of the style and how it completely eliminated styling time in the morning.

On top of the ultra long time it took to do them, my styling would charge me outrageous prices because my hair was thick. :mad:

caligirl said:
Do you think a salon would do a strawset or flexi rod set on natural hair?

They should. I had a friend in school who was a long haired 4b natural and she wore straw sets all the time.

Back