Divorce and Preconceived Notions

kandake

Do you have any preconceived notions about people who are divorced?

I ask because I'm divorced and I'm starting to realize that people think/feel... some kind of way about me because of it.

I would like to discuss this topic in general terms and not necessarily about me. Just an open dialogue about what people think about those who are divorced and why they feel that way.

This is not a sensitive subject for me so don't worry about offending. Well unless you're just blatantly mean and evil.

Anywho, lets discuss.

My only preconceived notion if it can be called that is that divorced people obviously married the wrong person.

Nope, I have no preconceived notions about divorcees.

I do not understand those that do...

All the fault finders, fear mongers and what iffers and such...

I've witnessed folks acting like its a disease that contagious,which I really do not get...

We seemly can make any other mistake in life except choose the wrong partner, or heaven forbid decide its not for us...

Last edited:
I actually have more respect for divorced people. I've met so many people who dont actually take the time to get divorced. They are estranged from their spouses and live their lives as if they're single and/or in another relationship. And they're actually cool with it because many of them believe they'll never marry again anyway, so oh well. When will they get that ignoring it doesn't magically make it go away? :confused:

I'm sure it's way harder to get divorced than it is to get married, so to be responsible enough to fully end it speaks volumes.

No preconceived notions, but I wonder why did the marriage fall apart? A bad foundation? Deceitfulness? <<<<<<<<<< Is that even a word :)

Do you have any preconceived notions about people who are divorced?

I ask because I'm divorced and I'm starting to realize that people think/feel... some kind of way about me because of it.

I would like to discuss this topic in general terms and not necessarily about me. Just an open dialogue about what people think about those who are divorced and why they feel that way.

This is not a sensitive subject for me so don't worry about offending. Well unless you're just blatantly mean and evil.

Anywho, lets discuss.

Let's see... I don't think there is anything inherently bad/wrong/etc., about divorced people. I think that our society doesn't really do enough to prepare people for marriage or support marriages, so if people kinda stumble their way into marriage without preparing for the inevitable pitfalls or if they aren't taught to have certain criteria for a partner that might make divorce less likely, then guess what? Marriages are gonna fail.

Now, I would just hope that folks who get divorced take some time to really examine what happened with the marriage and look at themselves to see if there were any signs or signals that something was off, so that they don't repeat their mistakes. Having been approached by a LOT of recently divorced men (as in, the papers were signed less than six months before our meeting), they were still in the process of blaming everything on their ex-wives. If I date a divorced man, he needs to have been divorced for about two years before I'll consider him. So yes, I do have a prejudice against recently divorced men who want to date me... :lol:

Other than that, I don't see divorce as a sign of any kind of personal flaw or character flaw. I mean, yes, it can be, but I think every person's story and situation is different, and a snap judgment can't be made.

My first thought when I meet a divorce woman is, wow she survived it! I tend to be a bit more negative if it's a man.

I dont date divorced men simply because I'm too young for that right now, but that will probably change as I get older.

When I meet people who are divorced I often wonder why, but I dont think anything negative per se.However I did run into I guy who I dated in 2005, and when I saw him again this year he had been married and divorced all by age 26. Do I question his judgement? Yeah, I'm not gonna lie. Someone older 30+ its not as big a deal to me.

Now if you've been divorced 4 times, I might give you the side eye.

Let's see... I don't think there is anything inherently bad/wrong/etc., about divorced people. I think that our society doesn't really do enough to prepare people for marriage or support marriages, so if people kinda stumble their way into marriage without preparing for the inevitable pitfalls or if they aren't taught to have certain criteria for a partner that might make divorce less likely, then guess what? Marriages are gonna fail.

Now, I would just hope that folks who get divorced take some time to really examine what happened with the marriage and look at themselves to see if there were any signs or signals that something was off, so that they don't repeat their mistakes. Having been approached by a LOT of recently divorced men (as in, the papers were signed less than six months before our meeting), they were still in the process of blaming everything on their ex-wives. If I date a divorced man, he needs to have been divorced for about two years before I'll consider him. So yes, I do have a prejudice against recently divorced men who want to date me... :lol:

Other than that, I don't see divorce as a sign of any kind of personal flaw or character flaw. I mean, yes, it can be, but I think every person's story and situation is different, and a snap judgment can't be made.

What a turn off! It's like, you've been through all that and yet you've learned.....

nothing :ohwell:

I don't judge divorced people if it's ONE divorce. More than one, he11 ya! I feel anyone can get divorced once. But twice, thrice, more, it's YOU BOO!!! And you obviously haven't learned a thing since your ex-spouses' (more than one ex-spouse) all have YOU in common.

I have a lot to say on this topic and first of all, I understand where you are coming from. Let just give you a bit of background in the hopes that you understand where I am coming from first.

I'm from South Jersey, lived half my life in DC where my family roots are. Married a man that I dated from age 19-24 married a week before I turned 25. We divorced. I moved to the south (Atlanta) when I turned 30. MY experience is that people I came across are super nosey and judgmental in the south - needless to say I'm pretty open-minded and open about my business, if you ask, I will tell (that's changed in the last two years because my experience, but... ) Anyway... one day, I was talking to a guy I just met and he said he would never marry a woman that was divorced. Apparently he had a preconceived notion about people who marry and get divorced. I was pretty shocked at his opinion. I accepted it in the "just learned something" category and then asked others about it - they all felt the same. It just so happened that all the people that couldn't understand one divorce were the same people wanting my affection with more than one child. I'm sorry.

To be honest, I sometimes forget that I am divorced. It was about seven years ago! I honestly forget, but I noticed that people do kind of look at you funny if you are divorced. In my experience, I have found that the people who look at you funny are the same people putting up with disrespectful stuff at home and would run if they weren't overly-concerned with what others would think.

What I learned, when I was 19, MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS, DON'T JUDGE OTHERS. I live by that EVERYDAY. If you don't put any stock into what others think about YOUR business, you will be a lot happier and avoid a LOT of drama. Sometimes, you have to keep your mouth shut too because once you tell your business, you open yourself up to criticism - its natural. If you do decide to talk about your business, be ready to get over unsolicited commentary and stand strong.

Who cares if you got divorced? It's your business. I won't judge you. Stuff happens. Now, if you moving on to your 4th or 5th husband - we may have to banish you to rehab :)

There was a time when I would judge a divorced person based on how long they were married. Basically if you divorced after a year then I would think that you didn't try at all. If you were married 20 years then I'd wonder if you stayed for the kids.

Anyway, I've learned by watching the failed marriages of my friends that the time frame means nothing. If you find that you've married the wrong person then no amount of counseling or waiting will turn him into be the right person.

Yes, I have my judgments. First, I would say that I have very close divorced family members whom I love so this is not meant to be spiteful. But I sometimes feel one of the following depending on their situation:

not very perceptive

ignored red flags

didn't care enough for their own well-being to choose a spouse that was good to them

not good at standing up to social pressure

I am well aware that people change and I hope that I don't go through a divorce. But I am just being honest.

When people would find out that I was divorced, they would always respond with, "oh, I'm sorry" and then I'd be left with wondering what they were sorry about when I was happy to be rid of him. :perplexed So instead of telling people that I am divorced, I started telling people that I am "happily divorced" and that was the truth. Saying happily divorced as opposed to just saying divorced erased the "i'm so sorry" comment. :grin:

No, no preconceived notions for a divorced person. Two or three divorces, yeah, I am guessing it's YOU.

An older, White, female coworker said that she was stigmatized as were her kids when she divorced. She said that people acted like her kids would grow up to be serial killers since she was one of the only women in her NJ town that was divorced (probably 10 - 15 years ago). It was a very bitter divorced wherein they fought over used plates/utensils. They are both accountants and fought over every penny. She said that he did an audit of her dishes.

Thanks for your comments ladies. There's some stuff I want to comment on but I'm too sleepy :giggle:

Be back in the morning.

Sorry so long. I really wanted to respond to a lot of the ideas expressed.

I actually have more respect for divorced people. I've met so many people who dont actually take the time to get divorced. They are estranged from their spouses and live their lives as if they're single and/or in another relationship. And they're actually cool with it because many of them believe they'll never marry again anyway, so oh well. When will they get that ignoring it doesn't magically make it go away? :confused:

My mom is one of those people. My parents have been separated for over 20 years and still no divorce. Its baffling. Even though I don't agree, I try my best not to judge them for making that decision.

Now, I would just hope that folks who get divorced take some time to really examine what happened with the marriage and look at themselves to see if there were any signs or signals that something was off, so that they don't repeat their mistakes.

ITA. I really don't want to go down that road again so I'm always thinking about what happened and what I can do to prevent those things from happening if I decide to remarry.

My first thought when I meet a divorce woman is, wow she survived it! I tend to be a bit more negative if it's a man.

To be honest I tend to think this way myself. (yes, I have my own preconceived notions) When its a man I initially think he cheated.

When I meet people who are divorced I often wonder why, but I dont think anything negative per se.However I did run into I guy who I dated in 2005, and when I saw him again this year he had been married and divorced all by age 26. Do I question his judgement? Yeah, I'm not gonna lie. Someone older 30+ its not as big a deal to me.

This actually the case with me. I was married and divorced by 28. I think my age and the length of time we were married causes people to think certain things. I don't necessarily blame people for thinking the way they do but I just wish they wouldn't make snap judgments without knowing the full story.

I don't judge divorced people if it's ONE divorce. More than one, he11 ya! I feel anyone can get divorced once. But twice, thrice, more, it's YOU BOO!!! And you obviously haven't learned a thing since your ex-spouses' (more than one ex-spouse) all have YOU in common.

Yeah, after the third divorce I would start to wonder whats really going on. Either you haven't learned from your mistakes or there's some serious bad luck going on.

Either way, its unfortunate. Divorce is draining.

To be honest, I sometimes forget that I am divorced. It was about seven years ago! I honestly forget, but I noticed that people do kind of look at you funny if you are divorced. In my experience, I have found that the people who look at you funny are the same people putting up with disrespectful stuff at home and would run if they weren't overly-concerned with what others would think.
:)

I enjoyed your post. I re: the bold, I would have to agree. But also, I think that people stay in unhealthy marriages because they've invested a lot time and energy into the marriage. They have kids, a house, pets, joint finances etc. and think that it would be easier to stay.

And of course people there's the commitment God and upholding the vows you took. I know I struggled with this myself. As a christian it was extremely difficult to make the decision to get a divorce.

There was a time when I would judge a divorced person based on how long they were married. Basically if you divorced after a year then I would think that you didn't try at all. If you were married 20 years then I'd wonder if you stayed for the kids.

Before my situation I felt the same way. But then I realized that I have no idea what happened in that one year of marriage.

Yes, I have my judgments. First, I would say that I have very close divorced family members whom I love so this is not meant to be spiteful. But I sometimes feel one of the following depending on their situation:
not very perceptive

Re: this view. I myself tend to get this one quite often. But it amazes me how much people can change. When the person you married turns into someone completely different. So much so that even their friends and family wonder what happened.

When people would find out that I was divorced, they would always respond with, "oh, I'm sorry" and then I'd be left with wondering what they were sorry about when I was happy to be rid of him. :perplexed So instead of telling people that I am divorced, I started telling people that I am "happily divorced" and that was the truth. Saying happily divorced as opposed to just saying divorced erased the "i'm so sorry" comment. :grin:

LOL. Generally, people don't know how to respond so they try to be empathetic. When people express their concern by saying "I'm so sorry" I usually just say "Its okay, you don't have to feel bad for me, I'm better off"

No, no preconceived notions for a divorced person. Two or three divorces, yeah, I am guessing it's YOU.

An older, White, female coworker said that she was stigmatized as were her kids when she divorced. She said that people acted like her kids would grow up to be serial killers since she was one of the only women in her NJ town that was divorced (probably 10 - 15 years ago). It was a very bitter divorced wherein they fought over used plates/utensils. They are both accountants and fought over every penny. She said that he did an audit of her dishes.

As prevalent as divorce is in our culture I'm amazed that people are stigmatizing the children to the extent of saying they will be serial killers. That's kind of crazy.

I'm SMH at the accountants auditing dishes.

Last edited:
Whenever I hear that it's the woman who wanted a divorce I always tend to think that the husband must've really screwed things up.

My only preconceived notions are that they a)married the wrong person and b)were wise enough to get the heck out.

Nope.

I believe in things just not working out and that perhaps it was a learning experience to prepare you for the right person God has for you. (IMO)

No preconceived notions most of the time. I do often wonder what happened and I usually guess infidelity.

I don't have any preconceived notions about the reasons why people get divorced and don't see it as something to be ashamed of. When I was dating, I was definitely interested in the reasons why the divorce happened so I would know whether it would impact our future relationship. Other than that, I didn't cast any judgments against divorced men.

I'm guilty of this.:ohwell: When someone says they are divorced I think wow, that must have been really hard. And I also wonder what went wrong in the marriage. I never ask though.

Back