Distilled???

janiebaby

Could someone please explain to me what distilled water does and why is it better than spring water or tap water? I keep seeing it come up in threads but I'm still confused so I'm just looking for clarification. Thanks.

janiebaby said:
Could someone please explain to me what distilled water does and why is it better than spring water or tap water? I keep seeing it come up in threads but I'm still confused so I'm just looking for clarification. Thanks.

I believe it has less mineral deposits than other water. But I'm sure someone will answer who knows for sure.

Also, where can you buy it?

You can buy distilled water in pretty much any grocery store. I've seen it my whole life on the water aisle in those big jugs.

Hi...

It has no chemicals or minerals....(as far as I know)...
I started using it years ago. Sometimes I do shampoo in the shower...but when I want to keep my hair moist and give it a 'boost' , I do this exclusivley. It makes my hair soft and shiney. It also helps my dry scalp.

sweetwhispers said:
what is distilled water? What process does it go through?

I copy/pasted this from a distilled water site...

What is distilled water?
Distilled water is also called steam-distilled water. Distilled water is water which has been heated to the boiling point so that impurities are separated from the water, which becomes vapor or steam at 212 degrees farenheit(100C.). Steam is then cooled and condensed back into pure liquid form. The impurities remain as residue in the steam kettle(to be periodically removed). This distillation system removes waterborne biological contaminants such as bacteria, parasites and viruses, organic and inorganic chemicals, heavy metals, volatile gasses, cysts, and other contaminants. Pure water contains no solids, minerals, or trace elements. It is clean, natural, and healthy. Steam distilled water is the standard by which all other waters are measured.

I've been drinking pure water or distilled now for a year. I'm glad I made that decision to change from spring water.

MzPrince said:
I've been drinking pure water or distilled now for a year. I'm glad I made that decision to change from spring water.

Here in france it is forbidden to drink it we call it here "eau déminéralisée"

Because the water in the dorms is so hard, I used distilled water every time I wash my hair. I tried to rinse, but it was too cold :lol: so I put it in a spray bottle and spray my hair after my final rinse. I also dilute setting lotion with it, and use it for my Carusos. I've noticed a big difference since I started doing this.

sweetcocoa said:
I copy/pasted this from a distilled water site...

What is distilled water?
Distilled water is also called steam-distilled water. Distilled water is water which has been heated to the boiling point so that impurities are separated from the water, which becomes vapor or steam at 212 degrees farenheit(100C.). Steam is then cooled and condensed back into pure liquid form. The impurities remain as residue in the steam kettle(to be periodically removed). This distillation system removes waterborne biological contaminants such as bacteria, parasites and viruses, organic and inorganic chemicals, heavy metals, volatile gasses, cysts, and other contaminants. Pure water contains no solids, minerals, or trace elements. It is clean, natural, and healthy. Steam distilled water is the standard by which all other waters are measured.

Thanks for that def...

((((((((((Sweetcocoa!!!)))))))))))))))

Good to see ya girl!!

sweetcocoa said:
Hi...

It has no chemicals or minerals....(as far as I know)...
I started using it years ago. Sometimes I do shampoo in the shower...but when I want to keep my hair moist and give it a 'boost' , I do this exclusivley. It makes my hair soft and shiney. It also helps my dry scalp.

I only spritz with distilled water. Tap water has mineral deposits in it that can cause build-up or dry hair/scalp. Distilled water moisturizes better. I buy a jug for $1.00 at Walgreens or CVC and pour it into my spray bottle. I have tried rinsing with distilled water in the shower but it is too awkward to hold over my head and rinse. My hair stays moisturized better when I spritz with distilled instead of tap water

I like using distilled water for my hair and other home made concoctions but it is NOT a good idea to drink distilled water for long periods of time. Distilled water will take nutrients from your body. Due to the polarized nature of PURE water it readily attracts minerals, nutrients, microorganisms, etc. Distilled water is more effective at attracting nutrients than your body and will deplete your body of what it needs over time. Humans and animals are naturally supposed to drink from sources where the chemical nature of pure water has been nutralized.

SagaGirl said:
I like using distilled water for my hair and other home made concoctions but it is NOT a good idea to drink distilled water for long periods of time. Distilled water will take nutrients from your body. Due to the polarized nature of PURE water it readily attracts minerals, nutrients, microorganisms, etc. Distilled water is more effective at attracting nutrients than your body and will deplete your body of what it needs over time. Humans and animals are naturally supposed to drink from sources where the chemical nature of pure water has been nutralized.

Not true. Distilled water does not mean that it is free of ions - that's deionized water (which you generally cannot get unless you are in a laboratory environment). Distilled water is perfectly healthy for you to drink.
Its just as "polarized" (I'm assuming you mean that it has ions?) as regular tap water or water from the gutter or from a mountaintop.

I know a lot of people who drink distilled water exclusively. One person I know adds good minerals to his distilled water.

One lady I know (she could even be a member here or on LHC) has classic length, super thick and healthy, naturally wavy type 3C glossy hair. After I told her how much I admired her hair, she said it's because she only drinks distilled water. I don't think she rinses with it though, but I didnt know to ask.

Here's an alternative health perspective I found:
http://www.energiseforlife.com/distilled-water-questions.php

1. What is distilled water?
Distilled water is literally water that has been boiled, evaporated and condensed - leaving all chemicals, toxins and waste behind and creating pure, clean water. Distillation will remove bacteria, viruses, cysts, heavy metals, radionuclides, organics, inorganics, and particulates.

Distillation is literally the method seen in nature, whereby: the sun heats the water on the earth's surface, the water is turned into a vapour (evaporation) and rises, leaving contaminants behind, to form clouds. As the upper atmosphere drops in temperature the vapours cool and convert back to water to form water droplets. Then once the droplets fall as rain (precipitation) the cycle starts over again.

This is exactly the same process in a water distiller - the tap water is heated to boiling point so the impurities are separated from the water, and the water then becomes steam. This is then condensed back into pure liquid form. The impurities remain as residue and are removed leaving 100% pure, pH balanced water.

2. I heard that distilled water is leeches minerals from the body, is this true?
It is unsure where this myth came from, but it is not based upon any scientific fact and is literally a lie. It is presumed that it was a rumour started by an individual or company with vested interests (possibly a manufacturer of an alternative filter or purifier).

'Your question as to whether distilled water leaches minerals out of the body reflects another persistent myth. While pure water helps to remove minerals from the body that cells have eliminated or not used, it does not "leach" out minerals that have become part of your body's cell structure. Neither does distilled water cause your teeth to deteriorate, a false claim made by a filter manufacturer looking to boost sales. As far as acidity goes, distilled water is close to a neutral pH and has no effect on the body’s acid/base balance'. - Dr Andrew Weil

"Distilled water has an inherent quality. Acting almost like a magnet, it picks up rejected, discarded, and unusable minerals and, assisted by the blood and the lymph, carries them to the lungs and kidneys for elimination from the body. The statement that distilled water leaches minerals from the body has no basis in fact. It doesn't leach out minerals that have become part of the cell structure. It can't and won't. It collects only minerals that have already been rejected or excreted by the cells...To suggest that distilled water takes up minerals from foods so that the body derives no benefit from them is absurd." - Harvey & Marilyn Diamond, Fit for Life II: Living Health
3. Isn't distilled water void of minerals that my body needs?
Another popular myth. The simple fact is that the human body can only use and absorb certain types of minerals (organic as opposed to inorganic) and only from certain sources. The human body is designed to get it's minerals from foods, not from water and so the best thing we can do for our water is make it as pure from toxins and chemicals as possible.
While it is true that the process of distillation removes certain minerals from the water it is highly unlikely that any of the beneficial minerals could be used by the body. Research has shown that the body is unlikely to be able to absorb the minerals from water and one study has even claimed that you would have to drink over 650 eight-ounce glasses of tap water to reach the Recommended Daily Allowance for calcium. The fact that distillation makes water 100% pure should not be of concern.
"The body’s need for minerals is largely met through foods, not drinking water." - American Medical Journal

"The minerals which the human body needs that are in the water are insignificant to those in food… and anyone simply eating a varied diet, not even a balanced diet, could hardly suffer a mineral deficiency." - Dr. Henry A. Schroeder, Dartmouth Medical School

"The only minerals that the body can utilize are the organic minerals. All other types of minerals are foreign substances to the body and must be eliminated. Distilled water is the only water that can be taken into the body without any damage to the tissues." - Dr. Allen E. Banik, The Choice is Clear

4. Are distillers expensive to run?
Home distillers take about 3 kilowatts to make 4 litres of distilled water. The average price of a kw in the UK is approximately 5.5p and therefore, for four litres of distilled water the cost is likely to be approximately 16.5p - or only just over 4p per litre!

Is 4p per litre too much to pay for pure distilled water made fresh in your home?
The alternatives are to buy bottled distilled water, or mineral water - both of which cost between 40p-£2.50 per litre and are not available on demand.
From the perspective of return on investment - it would take you approximately 99 days for your distiller to pay for itself:
3 litres of distilled water per day = 12.37p
3 litres of bottled mineral water per day = £2.04
Difference = £1.92
Price of a Fresh & Pure Distiller = £189.99

Days to pay for distiller based upon saving above= 99 days!
If there are any other questions that you might have regarding distillers, please do not hesitate to get in touch by email, filling out a contact form or speaking to one of our friendly staff on +44 (0)1604 491500.

Back