Discount Dress?

tru4reele

Okay so Im getting married next year and I think Ive found the dress that I want. Its $1300 from the bridal shop and while searching for pics online I see that its sold on this wholesale website for like $255. Do you think I should buy it from the bridal shop or buy it from the online store for a thousand less?

The bridal shop also said that it will take 6 months for it to arrive whereas the online store is up to a month. And they can also do custom fitting for a little more if you send in your measurements. The bridal shop said it would take 2 more months for the alterations once the dress comes in.

Are those wholesale stores legit? They have some pretty good reviews. Anyone bought their wedding dress from somewhere like that? Its wholesalebeautydress.com

My friend bought her wedding dress from a Chinese vendor online, and she had a pretty good experience. Used a local tailor though, and ordered well ahead of time.
I think she paid less then $300 like you. I think it was an Ali Baba vendor, but I know it was definitely a chinese vendor.

Not a wedding dress, but I have ordered a custom gown from a similar site (lightinthebox.com). The ordering process was a great experience and the dress arrived on schedule.

One piece of advice: when they tell you not to take your own measurements, listen. I didn't. Lesson learned.

Not a wedding dress, but I have ordered a custom gown from a similar site (lightinthebox.com). The ordering process was a great experience and the dress arrived on schedule.

One piece of advice: when they tell you not to take your own measurements, listen. I didn't. Lesson learned.

Are you saying to just order the dress a size or two up and have it custom tailored locally? What was your experience? Im worried about the dress not being the one I saw at the bridal shop and not from the same designer even though its advertised as such.

It depends.

I don't know about wholesale stores that sell current wedding dresses on line. Most legit ones you purchase in person and the dress is "as is" from samples that stores are getting rid of to make space for the new season dresses. I'm side eyeing a whole sale store claiming to have a dress that is currently being sold.

I wouldn't trust alterations on line. If you have time, order the dress you want now then if it works find a local dress shop to do the alterations for you. Worse case scenario the dress doesn't come and you can go ahead and get from the bridal shop.

The bridal shop is giving you an estimate based on how long it takes them. If you have a trusted seamstress that can alter for you then get the dress as soon as it comes in. I wouldn't trust alterations taken on line.

If time is short then either go somewhere else and pick up a dress in person or order from the bridal shop.

Let me step back - have you even tried the dress on to be sure that you like it? Many times people have in their head that "one" dress then try it on and its nothing as they envisioned on themselves. Go to the store and try it on then you can figure out what road to take with ordering it. My vote is if you really fall in love with the dress just get it. All the "what ifs" are not worth the stress of waiting for it to come in.

Are you saying to just order the dress a size or two up and have it custom tailored locally? What was your experience? Im worried about the dress not being the one I saw at the bridal shop and not from the same designer even though its advertised as such.
If you order from these sites, you're typically buying a knock off. I think sometimes they even use the designer's picture on their sites, even though that's not what you're actually getting.

When I talk about the measurements, I just mean that these sites usually have a warning that you shouldn't take your own measurements. Instead of getting someone to help me, I did mine myself ("How difficult can it be? It's just reading a tape measure.") and ended up with a dress slightly shorter than what I needed. I can still wear it with flats, but ultimately the mistake was my fault for not following instructions. The gown fit beautifully everywhere else.

Bridal sizes are not like regular sizes. You need to give your measurements and see what size dress to get. Let a tailor give the measurements.

Don't be surprised if you're normally a 6 and you end up with a 12 bridal. Even if you order based on the manufacturers size either way wedding dresses need to be altered. Nothing worse than a bride tugging at her strapless dress all night because she didn't get it fitted properly.

If you order from these sites, you're typically buying a knock off. I think sometimes they even use the designer's picture on their sites, even though that's not what you're actually getting.

When I talk about the measurements, I just mean that these sites usually have a warning that you shouldn't take your own measurements. Instead of getting someone to help me, I did mine myself ("How difficult can it be? It's just reading a tape measure.") and ended up with a dress slightly shorter than what I needed. I can still wear it with flats, but ultimately the mistake was my fault for not following instructions. The gown fit beautifully everywhere else.

I tried on the dress partially at the store. It was a sample size 10 and I couldnt get it pass my hips by stepping in it or by putting it over my head. Im a size 10. But I could get a feel for it and I loved it. I was very humiliated and upset that all the dresses I liked came in size 10 and I couldnt fit them. Most bridal stores carry 14 and 16 I thought so more people can try them on. When I told my attendant that her bridal shop was a skinny people store she said "We're not, its just the dresses you like..." Im like huh? that doesnt make sense. Only skiiny people like mermaids?

Bridal sizes are not like regular sizes. You need to give your measurements and see what size dress to get. Let a tailor give the measurements.

Don't be surprised if you're normally a 6 and you end up with a 12 bridal. Even if you order based on the manufacturers size either way wedding dresses need to be altered. Nothing worse than a bride tugging at her strapless dress all night because she didn't get it fitted properly.

Tell me about it. I left the store feeling humiliated. I couldnt even try the ones on I liked.

I tried on the dress partially at the store. It was a sample size 10 and I couldnt get it pass my hips by stepping in it or by putting it over my head. Im a size 10. But I could get a feel for it and I loved it. I was very humiliated and upset that all the dresses I liked came in size 10 and I couldnt fit them. Most bridal stores carry 14 and 16 I thought so more people can try them on. When I told my attendant that her bridal shop was a skinny people store she said "We're not, its just the dresses you like..." Im like huh? that doesnt make sense. Only skiiny people like mermaids?

That attendant is an idiot. To me mermaid styles look best on women with curves to rock them.

If you're a regular size 10 then you can range from a 16-20 in bridal sizes.

Buying sample sizes doesn't work for everyone which is why I suggest you just go to a regular bridal store that has a range of sizes available for you to try on. If there is none close by its worth making a trip to a bigger city. Don't be afraid to hit the bigger bridal stores (ie Kleinfelds or Say Yes to the Dress place in ATL) since they tend to have sales and very well may have a dress you'd love in your price range.

You deserve that moment when you see the dress on and know its yours and not to feel humiliated because you couldn't pull it over your hips. That store didn't have what you wanted but was trying to still make a sale. Go elsewhere.

Last edited:
That attendant is an idiot. To me mermaid styles look best on women with curves to rock them.

If you're a regular size 10 then you can range from a 16-20 in bridal sizes.

Buying sample sizes doesn't work for everyone which is why I suggest you just go to a regular bridal store that has a range of sizes available for you to try on. If there is none close by its worth making a trip to a bigger city. Don't be afraid to hit the bigger bridal stores (ie Kleinfelds or Say Yes to the Dress place in ATL) since they tend to have sales and very well may have a dress you'd love in your price range.

You deserve that moment when you see the dress on and know its yours and not to feel humiliated because you couldn't pull it over your hips. That store didn't have what you wanted but was trying to still make a sale. Go elsewhere.

Thank you so much that made me feel better. I made an appt at another store so I can see it on. 2 other stores I called had a size 10 sample too. The one I am going to has a size 12 available. My appt is Tuesday. I will post pics if I can get that sucker past my hips.

tru4reele

I'm going with a friend to Kleinfeld's sample sale on Tuesday. I'm not sure where you live, but it might be worth a shot. Sale

That's cool. I don't live anywhere near there. When I looked at their site online I didn't see any dresses I liked but I'm gonna look again and maybe wait for their next sample sale.

Don't buy a wedding dress from a foreign online vendor. You will just be setting yourself up for problems and not really save any money in the long run. I've heard horror stories about people not receiving dresses or the dresses looking like garbage. It's better to buy it from a bridal shop with a good reputation so you know exactly what you're getting.

Back