difference between lye and no-lye relaxers???

sillygurl18

Which one is better? I grew up getting no-lye relaxers and I have to admit that when you say that lye relaxers are better, I don't understand. It goes against everything that I have done all these years. Please explain this to me.
TIA

No lye was bad for my hair, but lots of people have great results with it. If no lye is working for you, by all means don't switch. I got this from the board when it was a Network 54 site. I don't remember the original poster. My apologies.
wave.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Calcium hydroxide (the straightening ingredient in no-lye relaxers) has a pH that is as high as or higher than sodium hydroxide (lye) relaxers. But they don’t straighten and smooth the hair as well as lye. This may not be a problem if you have a loose curl pattern. But kinkier hair strands will be dried up from the inside to the outside. Think about the Mowry twins, Nicole Kidman, Mya, Rae Dawn Chong and Gloria Reuben. If your natural curl pattern is tighter than this you should stay away from ammonium, calcium hydroxide and thioglocylate (sp?) based hair straighteners. No lye relaxers "defat" the scalp and hair. Maybe not immediately, but eventually your hair will end up under-processed, dry, dull and hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've since read that adding a few spoonfuls of ApHogee EFA Oil to no lye relaxers will defeat the drying effects.

I've come to hate no lye perms. They leave my hair brittle and fragile. I have switched to motions lye and the hair i've permed this year is so obvious from the hair permed with no-lye. it shines and is this rich shade of black I haven't seen since I was a kid. it just behaves healthier. Again, this may not be for you, but I switched from Dudley/Bantu to Motions/Design Essentials.
I love em'.
smile.gif

Sillygurl,

I was a no-lye girl for all of my relaxer life until the spring of 2001. I switched to lye relaxers after hearing that no-lye was very drying. I think the combination of using less heat, switching to a lye relaxer & being gentle with my hair has given me hair that is stronger than it's ever been
smile.gif

no lye for me was bad for a very simple reason- they are usually for more sensitive scalps and then can be left on the hair longer without burning. i was leaving it on because it wasn't burning which left my hair too straight for my liking. this too straight hair was perpetually dry and kept getting lighter and lighter in color.
lye doesnt burn me necessarily and it leaves my hair more pliable, shiny, and its just as straight.

Back