Did you receive...or would u want a tradional engagement ring?

Dposh167

When u were engaged...

or even if u aren't engaged. Would u want a traditional engagement ring?
what is it that makes an engagement ring...an engagement ring?

I was looking at fliers around black friday about engagement rings on sale, and i was just thinking if people actually want that plain ol' looking engagement ring for when they're engaged. I don't think i would want that.

just a general question i was pondering. what do u think?

mine is non traditional. I think it depends on the person. Most
know it's an engagment ring but some just tell me I have a
gorgeous ring and did I know it was on the left hand. I think
for two reasons: it's big and also I look young. I say it's an
engagement ring and some will say they never saw one like
that to which I'll say: it was custom made and they gasp
and say they love it but never thought about a ruby as an
engagement ring. I think also because it's huge (which I get
a lot) that people are also shocked but that's because I
appear to look very early twenties and then there's this
huge ruby surrounded by diamonds. It's like what's that
little lady doing with that:lachen:? Or is it even real can't be,
can it?:look:
Regardless. I can't help that. Unless I want to walk around
with the appraisal pointing to it and be afraid of someone
shooting me...I just let them think what they want but
most can tell its a quality ring...they just don't know why
a young lady has it on.:lol:...or maybe it's cause I'm black:look:
don't wanna go there, but someone DID ask what my
fiance did the minute after inspecting my ring within
an inch of its life, and when I said Doctor, it was like
they almost choked back shock....

I still love it, though. But that's also because of the fact
that it's everything I wanted (my fiance quizzed me on
the stones I like and shape) and then went and had something
made (and still managed to surprise me go figure). BUT I think
most people think of a diamond ring as an engagement ring and
though I have a carat of diamonds surrounding my ruby, they
still are expecting a plain diamond. I'm an artist and this suits
my artsy sensibilities anyways. I think I'd be bored if it was
plain. And as I don't really wear jewelry, I'd have taken it off
long ago. Because it's unique, I'm happy to wear it (of course
I'd be happy with anything given, but really I'd probably forget
to wear it more often if it was a plain ring lol). I'm happy I'm
engaged so it's an excuse to post itagain :grin:!

30x9cn8.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted a traditional ring. I have my mother's wedding set that my father gave her. I can't fit her rings but I love it. It's a little different.

I assume a traditional engagement ring is the solitaire diamond?

If so, no, I don't have a traditional engagement ring. Mine is the past, present and future design and then baguettes on both sides of the band and my band is just a plain solid gold band. I like it because I'm allergic to pretty much every metal except gold and it's not too gaudy.

If so, no, I don't have a traditional engagement ring. Mine is the past, present and future design and then baguettes on both sides of the band and my band is just a plain solid gold band. I like it because I'm allergic to pretty much every metal except gold and it's not too gaudy.
Wow. I've never heard of the whole allergic to all things: platinum, silver, etc. Who knew? I learn something new every day.

I like a traditional ring: Plain diamonds in whatever setting I choose. For one, I plan to wear it for ages so it has to transcend trends, and secondly I want it to speak for itself-- folks see it and know what it is: an engagement ring without me explaining anything.

I love "shiny stuff" :) so I appreciate all kinds of jewelry, I just feel if I want a ring that is more unusual or exotic, I can get it for my other fingers. The fact that I choose a traditional ring does not mean I can never have the sapphire surrounded by diamonds (my second choice if I were to go non-traditional), it just won't be my engagement ring.

I don't have a set type of engagement ring that I want. I want whatever my FH (whoever he may be) chooses for me. The fact that he choose a ring would make THAT ring special for me. I don't want to know about it in advance and I don't want to help him pick it out. Him choosing it would make it more meaningful for me. :yep:

Oh, and I don't need a diamond ring. A blue sapphire would be hot, because it's my birthstone...his birthstone would be nice too.

No. After knowing how much earth is destroyed for just one single gold band ring, I couldn't put the earth through that just for a symbol. Silver is not much better either...I'll go for a previously-owned turqoise and silver squash necklace, bracelet and ring...which I won't wear daily but keep to pass down.

Wow. I've never heard of the whole allergic to all things: platinum, silver, etc. Who knew? I learn something new every day.

I can only wear gold over 10k or I will break out which is why I don't allow anyone but DH to buy me jewelry because if they get me the cheap stuff, it'll end up in the trash.

Last edited:
I wanted a traditional princess cut solitaire and that's what FI got me.:) It fits my personality and my life perfectly. It's simple yet elegant and sophisticated.
I have found the perfect enhancer wedding band for it but it is slightly pricey...:look:

Sent from my HTC Evo using Long Hair Care Forum App

I have never been a jewelry person and I'm still not but when I started looking at rings, I was really struck by blue sapphires. Then I also read some various meanings behind them and felt it would be perfect for me..nevermind that blue has been my favorite color since I was small.

I'd be happy with whatever I received but I told him I'd be happiest with a blue sapphire. I've seen some breathtaking ones.

When u were engaged...

or even if u aren't engaged. Would u want a traditional engagement ring?
what is it that makes an engagement ring...an engagement ring?

I was looking at fliers around black friday about engagement rings on sale, and i was just thinking if people actually want that plain ol' looking engagement ring for when they're engaged. I don't think i would want that.

just a general question i was pondering. what do u think?

This is always what I thought when I looked an engagement rings. But I've always went for jewelry that was very unique.

I didnt get a ring till after we had been married like a yr, but its very traditional but maybe for our 10 yr, I wnt to do something unexpected maybe a pink or blue diamond surrounded by white ones, not sure but for now Im good

I have a very traditional engagement ring and matching band. It is a princess cut with micropave surrounding the center stone and surrounding both bands

i absolutely love it.

It is a timeless piece

mine is non traditional. I think it depends on the person. Most
know it's an engagment ring but some just tell me I have a
gorgeous ring and did I know it was on the left hand. I think
for two reasons: it's big and also I look young. I say it's an
engagement ring and some will say they never saw one like
that to which I'll say: it was custom made and they gasp
and say they love it but never thought about a ruby as an
engagement ring. I think also because it's huge (which I get
a lot) that people are also shocked but that's because I
appear to look very early twenties and then there's this
huge ruby surrounded by diamonds. It's like what's that
little lady doing with that:lachen:? Or is it even real can't be,
can it?:look:
Regardless. I can't help that. Unless I want to walk around
with the appraisal pointing to it and be afraid of someone
shooting me...I just let them think what they want but
most can tell its a quality ring...they just don't know why
a young lady has it on.:lol:...or maybe it's cause I'm black:look:
don't wanna go there, but someone DID ask what my
fiance did the minute after inspecting my ring within
an inch of its life, and when I said Doctor, it was like
they almost choked back shock....

I still love it, though. But that's also because of the fact
that it's everything I wanted (my fiance quizzed me on
the stones I like and shape) and then went and had something
made (and still managed to surprise me go figure). BUT I think
most people think of a diamond ring as an engagement ring and
though I have a carat of diamonds surrounding my ruby, they
still are expecting a plain diamond. I'm an artist and this suits
my artsy sensibilities anyways. I think I'd be bored if it was
plain. And as I don't really wear jewelry, I'd have taken it off
long ago. Because it's unique, I'm happy to wear it (of course
I'd be happy with anything given, but really I'd probably forget
to wear it more often if it was a plain ring lol). I'm happy I'm
engaged so it's an excuse to post itagain :grin:!

30x9cn8.jpg

OMG!!!! Now THAT'S a Ring... no, it's a RANG!!!!!!!!! GEORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry.... I can't do the whatever FH gets me. I will leave subtle hints (pictures of rings I like on the refrigerator) to make sure I get what I want. Hopefully he will know me well enough to know what I like, but I am not opposed to providing assistance!!!

I am a non-traditional girl all the way around (not sure I would even do the whole down the aisle thing again in fact. I love the whole Brangelina idea), so I would definitely do something totally against the grain. I was feeling Kate Middleton's ring until I saw Luckiest's. Totally along the lines of what I would want if I ever got engaged.

I'm still salivating!!!

I can't help but think folks get so caught up in the ring because they feel its the first and last time they will receive diamonds from their man.

Yea, I'd love a nice rock and love pearl and oval shaped stones. But the more I think about it, the more I think that when the time comes, the ring just isn't going to matter ALL that much. If HE is right, he'll get it right (either on his own or he'll ASK).

I'm leaning sapphire or tanzanite. Diamonds can come later. I love aquamarines and emeralds. And LuckiestDestiny's ruby is beautiful.

Last edited:

I am also allergic to platinum.. I have a platinum/diamond drop necklace that was a graduation gift and it makes me breakout. :/

I would like a traditional engagement ring (solitaire), but I will be happy with what FH purchases. He has excellent taste.

I actually wouldn't mind a gemstone ring, preferably my birthstone (amethyst), but I'd want the green amethyst.

SO and I went looking at rings and I ended up liking a very simple and traditional ring. It is a solitaire in a cathedral setting. No additional diamonds. The wedding band does have diamonds covering it.

It is truly perfect for me...
now, if we could just get the proposal..

I prefer traditional so I have a nice solitaire for my engagement ring. Dh bought me a 4ct(2ct center, and 2 side stones each 1ct each) princess cut for my right hand for Christmas , and I consider that cut non-traditional. I dont like colored diamonds.

i'm not even close to getting married but i would not want a traditional ring.

i'd much rather get cold hard cash.:look: but if i absolutely had to have a ring it would be a plain, solid band.

Hi,

OP - your ring is wonderful!

I want a traditional ring in the sense that I wanted platinum and diamonds, but I didn't want a solitaire. However I needed something slightly different with a little more sparkle and I find that many solitaire settings are high set and get caught in clothes etc. So I chose something composed of rows of diamonds with a central stone.

I've found the one (the guy), we're hopefully getting married, we have been ring shopping together - it took 4 days of searching before we realised that the picture I had in my head of a was going to be difficult to find, so we got it made. It's still in the shop for safekeeping, while we sort our financials out before any proposal.

So I'm happily waiting for this to happen!

He's in army boot camp right now and asked me to marry him. He wants to get married soon (but we've only been dating for 8 months) I want to wait a while longer so he says he will ask again and surprise me next year which we both decided would be better.

I'm the type of woman who wants a traditional engagement ring, but I want a nice juicy one.:grin: My friend and I discussed this and she thinks I'm being a bit "selfish" with my wants. She says it's "more than a ring" of course this is coming from someone who's engagement ring was chosen out of a online walmart sale catalog for $80.00. My thing is, if I'm going to be wearing it for the rest of my life, I want it to look good.:yep: It doesn't mean I value my relationship any less.

Last edited:
He's in army boot camp right now and asked me to marry him. He wants to get married soon (but we've only been dating for 8 months) I want to wait a while longer so he says he will ask again and surprise me next year which we both decided would be better.

I'm the type of woman who wants a traditional engagement ring, but I want a nice juicy one.:grin: My friend and I discussed this and she thinks I'm being a bit "selfish" with my wants. She says it's "more than a ring" of course this is coming from someone who's engagement ring was chosen out of a online walmart sale catalog for $80.00. My thing is, if I'm going to be wearing it for the rest of my life, I want it to look good.:yep: It doesn't mean I value my relationship any less.

I hear you, but the ring you get doesn't have to be the ring you keep for the rest of your life. You could always upgrade in the future. My SO and I are both currently finishing up graduate school, so I will accept what's within his price range as of now. He has yet to reach his full earning potential. But, I know that in the future as his money grows and becomes longer, I will definitely be going bigger and better.

If you do not like a ring that your SO gives you, he has the intuition to know whether or not you like it, even if you do not abruptly say that you don't. This is one of the reasons why in the future my SO wants me to pick it out, because there is no sense in living with a ring that you personally do not enjoy. Sure the meaning behind should outweigh the materialistic concept but lets be real, you are you going to constantly look at it and wish you had a different one.

I personally abhor traditional marquise solitary rings. I actually like cushion stones, or gemstone/diamond rings.

Back